+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caiman - Toslink or SPDIF + burn-in time

I'm Adrian.

Default Caiman - Toslink or SPDIF + burn-in time

Hi all

this may have been discussed in the hundreds of pages on the Caiman and other StanDACs but there's so much natter on those mammoth threads that I thought it easier to ask. Is Toslink or SPDIF preferred as a way of transmitting 1s and 0s?

Also, is 8 hrs a reasonable burn-in time for the Caiman or does it continue to improve for longer?

Thanks

Adrian

If you use my own branded TOSLINK cable you'll be able to match the quality of any SPDIF cable out there.

Burn in time for the caps is specified at 200 hours or more by the caps manufacturer.

STan

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Stan - would the 200 hours have to be actual playing time, or just physically powered up? Thanks, Alex.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Adrian.

Thanks for those answers. I'll keep it playing for a few days more before posting any conclusions.

Stan, on the TOSlink cable, your webpage suggests inherent problems that don't exist with SPDIF. I think I'll stick to SPDIF and try MArco's digital cable.

Caiman's is sounding nice at this stage by the way, with a home-made Maplin's based I/C

Adrian

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Adrian - hope this isn't too much of a hijack of your thread, but looks like you're happy with the answers from Stan, so hopefully this won't cause too much trouble

I need a run of 6 metres from my Sky HD (&/or PS3) to my Caiman - I can only seem to find unbranded cheapo cables at that length on ebay - anyone know if a) they'll be complete crap b) any source for a good qualty (but not expensive!) 6m toslink or c) would 2 quality 3m cables be ok with a toslink "coupler" (basically a female to female toslink - that sounds so wrong (right?!) but hopefully you know what I mean!) I'm not desperate to connect Sky up, but if it can be done reasonably then I might as well, as I use it more than the xbox which is currently taking the Optical input.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm InSpace.

Do you have a spare coax input on the Beresford?
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian B View Post
    I think I'll stick to SPDIF and try MArco's digital cable.
    Adrian, I think you might mean Mike Homar's digital cable?
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Do you have a spare coax input on the Beresford?
    No, but it is as easy to swap coax as it is swap toslink - Coax 1 is my Soundbridge, which I use infrequently, so could use that - are there convertors available?
    Alex

I'm InSpace.

I can do you a 6M coax... PM me.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread