+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi from the bonnie north

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Do we deduce from this that you weren't old enough first time round, and you're a mere whippersnapper, or were you completely off your face and the decade managed to somehow pass you by?
    Haha. Actually, I guess I didn't hit my teens until the 90s, though I do recall a wee bit of 80s stuff because of a friend downstairs who was 5 years older. He introduced (subjected?) me to the Pet Shop Boys (lots by these guys), Depeche Mode, The The (crumbs, Infected! Must get hold of that again!) and one tune I remember clearly is Crockett's Theme from Miami Vice. Around the same time I was only buying jokey wee 7''s like The Firm's Star Trekkin' (still makes me smile and chuckle!).
    When the 90s rolled in I started buying Dance, mostly, with faves being Acid Folk's Perlexer (a thumping beat accompanied by bagpipes), Ultrasonic's Annihilating Rhythm, the cheesy house stuff only Scots seemed to listen to (The Time Frequency (TTF) or anything on the Steppin' Out Records label, anyone?), and The Prodigy, whose stuff I consider to be the sonic equivalent of a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster. I wasn't completely absorbed, though, and also picked up Arrested Development's debut album, Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales (my favourite at the time, especially Seven Days) and Paul Weller's Wild Wood 7''. Other than that I was listening to Little Feat's Oh Atlanta, Rock 'n' Roll Doctor and (occasionally) Day At The Races.
    My parents had a business in the 80s where music played a big part, so I was introduced to Bill Withers, E.L.O., Bilitis, some classical, 1930's jazz (Puttin' On The Ritz, Stormy Weather, etc.)---that's the stuff that springs immediately to mind.

I'll expand as time and third-party interest permit. It's really nice to have this opportunity to think back on all the stuff I used to enjoy but have forgotten or neglected. Eventually, I'll get round to adding to the Choons From Ya Yoof thread.
    Simon.

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    I keep getting signed out of the forum so I'm doing it in a plain text editor and I'll paste it in later.
    Not a bad plan to do that anyway sometimes, but if you tick the box when you sign in ("Remember Me" I think) it will stop kicking you out (worked for me anyway.)

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply - I thought I was right about the 80's being retro for you - and as Marco said, good to have another non-hippie aboard - though you'll soon find yourself drifting into it once you see common names on the forum. Can't say I'm a big Prodigy "fan" (i.e never seen them live or know much about them) but I like their music and have bought all bar the latest album over the years - I like a lot of dance acts that have been around a bit - Faithless, Chemical Brothers, Appollo 440, Primal Scream, BT, Groove Armada, Underworld, Leftfield, Massive Attack etc - so it's not all Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Yazoo OMD and Human League - though definitely check out them if you like your 80's synth stuff. Happy days!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Hi Simon!
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi Aquapiranha!

Ok, that's a freaky avatar.

Alex_UK, I haven't bought The Prodigy's latest album yet either, doesn't seem to have to the same variety as the previous ones. As for 80's synth stuff, Visage's Fade To Grey has to be one of the best! God, I wish I had more money available, this forum's going to be sending me to Amazon more often than I can afford.
    Like the updated pic, btw. Cute!
    Simon.

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Hi Aquapiranha!
    Ok, that's a freaky avatar.
    That's not an avatar, Steve really looks like that so they say... be afraid, be very afraid!

God, I wish I had more money available, this forum's going to be sending me to Amazon more often than I can afford.
    I've posted somewhere else on here that my first credit card bill since joining this forum nearly all Amazon purchases, was over £400! I counted up last night, and I think it was 53 albums since joining at the beginning of August - Gulp! So, I've subscribed to Spotify premium - £10 a month, and a lot of what I bought is on there - and a lot of what you are looking for will be too (no, I don't have any shares, wish I did!) The free service isn't as good quality, and you get a short ad every 4 or 5 songs but it is brilliant for checking out stuff before you buy it.

Like the updated pic, btw. Cute!
    Shucks, cheers! I think so, but I am rather biased!

New one to follow later...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That's not an avatar, Steve really looks like that so they say... be afraid, be very afraid!
    Steve is one of my lurrvvlies, plucked from the confines of behind my little white door..... I'll be in later to throw you a bone, my shweety........MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..............

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Steve is one of my lurrvvlies, plucked from the confines of behind my little white door..... I'll be in later to throw you a bone, my shweety........MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..............

Marco.
    Careful, remember what happened last time... I was going to use this one...

Reunited__seriously_scary_3_by_steelgohst.jpg

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Jimney Cricket, Steve! If it wasn't for the mitigating effect of Alex_UK's wee bairn appearing to guzzle a can of wife-beater, I'd be hard-pressed not to avoid this thread altogether . It looks like something rejected as being too scary for the movie adaptation of Silent Hill. Mind you, at least it's clearly a created graphic, whereas that doll obviously exists somewhere (in your house?) I'd get the heebie-jeebies whenever I walked past it. *shiver*
    Simon.

I'm Steve.

Haha! I love Silent Hill. I put it on for my son to watch it when he was 15 but he said it was too scary! I just got the images off the web. there is something inherently scary about china dolls I think, I remember as a child my mum watching a horror movie where a man was forced to have a shave with cut-throat razors by some marauding china dolls that had come to life... clowns too, some people have really issues when it comes to scary clowns.

better view, check out the peepers!
    Last edited by aquapiranha; 18-09-2009 at 19:54.

A lot of dolls are indeed very creepy, and don't start me on clowns, evil, twisted spawns of the devil's trumpet! And the there's that Chucky... *shudder*
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast