+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Final turntable? Take your pick from these beauts...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

LOL. You knows I lurves ya!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

The Clearaudio & Transrotor look like they should be mounted in the centre of Dr who's Tardis... In fact the Transrotor reminds me of one of those chocolate fountains you see at some* weddings.

[* i.e. Chav weddings - no offence intended to anyone who had a chocolate fountain at their wedding. Or if any of you are actually Chav's of course.]
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I would build my own
    It would use the VPI supper platter with bearing £1000 with the Verus drive £1500 a slate plinth £250 with the Terminator arm £550 and Decca london Cartridge £1000 it would look a bit like this apart from the platter
    http://www.trans-fi.com/orberus.htm
    If I could source a different platter and bearing then the cost might come down
    Its a simple design and could do in stages perhaps get a motor first then when funds can afford go for the Verus
    Its nice to dream!
    Still a visit to Marco might change all that
    All I can say at the moment is to keep an eye on what Vic is doing. John's dream may well become affordable.

I'm David.

i found a winner

this joke is still funny to me!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

And me - my head is just as daft as yours!

That's a modified Xerxes though, innit?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Love the design of the tonearm, me want for the 401!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

im guessing you dont want to buy my xerxes then marco
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

LOL. Well, erm, errrrrr....... Mmmm...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    no your all wrong... sell your crappy sl1210 davinci blan blah crap
    this is what you want:

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Lim...?itemid=175523

its got a cd player built in to it....

27% off too!!!
    You wouldn't believe it, but my father-in-law, who has recently moved back from New Zealand, brought with him one of these. He unwrapped it the other day and suggested I hook it up to my hifi. I love his sense of humour.
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Guy,

Oooooooh, now *that* will be very interesting!! My money's on the EMT (in probably the areas that matter to me most). Is that a TSD-15 cartridge on it?

Marco.
    This deck came straight from a radio station but is in surprisingly good condition. It has a fairly prosaic Shure MM fitted which appears to be wired through to an onboard phono stage. I'll get used to it using that initially and then (if need be) try a more ambitious MM. After that I'll need to see whether there's some way of getting access to the output of the arm and attaching my own transformer & phono stage which might give me a better idea of what the deck & arm can do.

I did borrow a TSD-15 for a couple of months a few years ago but didn't really get on with it. Certainly powerful sounding but not so nice to listen to even after a deal of experimentation with loading. I'd like to try my Io and transformer with this if I can find a way to connect them. As the deck is borrowed, I can't really do anything too major to it.

It certainly is a beautifully made thing even if the thin disc 'platter' and thick heavy mat take some getting used to. I wasn't quite prepared for how large it would be either. My slate plinthed SP10 is enormous & this is almost the same size.

I suspect the motor units will have a similar (ie not much at all) sound. I suppose the SMEV on my other SP10 may be different in presentation to the 929 though.

Last edited by pure sound; 09-09-2009 at 13:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast