+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who does he think he is? David Bailey?

I'm Martin.

Default Who does he think he is? David Bailey?

Hi

Here below (if I've done it right) are some hastily taken pictures of my system(s):

Linn power amp and Cambridge Audio Azur 840

Systemdek IIXE, Basik Plus Arm Ortofon MM cartridge (LK1 Pre underneath)

Celestion A2 'Speakers

My 'it's a lash-up but it gets the job done' home cinema system - speakers are JBL Control Ones

Sony CDPXB930E QS CD player - sounds rubbish therough the main system but sounds great as a transport through the home cinema amp into the JBLs - (?)

Room is 29' by 11' with solid concrete floor, big enough to let the speakers breathe in the bass. Bought the house for this room, figured I could one day get something like JBL K2s driven by SE 300B monoblocks! What you see here is just a base camp on the way!

Regards

Martin
    Last edited by Macca; 15-08-2009 at 13:50. Reason: Pictures not working

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin. A mix of kit there, I myself used to have a Linn LK1 (with Dirak offboard PSU) and an LK280, I liked them very much.

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Love the "almost as thick as a hosepipe" speaker cables - but the loveliest thing is the glass platter on the systemdek - always thought it looks very sophisticated! And a poignant Les Paul too.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Sony CDPXB930E QS CD player - sounds rubbish therough the main system but sounds great as a transport through the home cinema amp into the JBLs - (?)

Regards

Martin
    I use the (probably inferior) model CDP XB720E QS. Doesn't sound rubbish to me!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    I use the (probably inferior) model CDP XB720E QS. Doesn't sound rubbish to me!
    Hi Barry

You're right - 'rubbish' possibly not the most descriptive term I could have used - I was short on time (it took me ages to do the piccies and upload them etc. and I just wanted to knock up a quick commentry).

I had high hopes for the QS but the sound was awful through the Linn/Celestion system - no top, recessed mid and weird bass (wallowy, soft deep bass and no upper bass) - all very odd as the player is in mint condition.

And as I said it sounds great through the Sony HC amp into the JBL's, either as a stand alone or a transport. I have also tried it on a friend's system (top of the range Onkyo Home cinema amp (on pure direct) into B&W 683s and it sounded mint (better than the Oppo he uses as a transport via HDMI).

Maybe it just doesn't like the LK1?

Martin

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Hi Barry

You're right - 'rubbish' possibly not the most descriptive term I could have used - I was short on time (it took me ages to do the piccies and upload them etc. and I just wanted to knock up a quick commentry).

I had high hopes for the QS but the sound was awful through the Linn/Celestion system - no top, recessed mid and weird bass (wallowy, soft deep bass and no upper bass) - all very odd as the player is in mint condition.

And as I said it sounds great through the Sony HC amp into the JBL's, either as a stand alone or a transport. I have also tried it on a friend's system (top of the range Onkyo Home cinema amp (on pure direct) into B&W 683s and it sounded mint (better than the Oppo he uses as a transport via HDMI).

Maybe it just doesn't like the LK1?

Martin
    Hi Martin

Sounds like a question of synergy or of system matching. The important thing is that the Sony now works well in your AV system.

Regards
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread