+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beresford Caiman

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    What's wrong with using the volume control on your amp?
    I dont have a volume control on my amp - I only have a power amp. (If I put a Quad 77 Pre amp back in circuit the quality degrades!) That is the attraction of any Standac - they are the only products in the price bracket that have volume controls and can be used as control or pre-amps.

But I take on board all you say about costs and practicalities.

I would happy to pay £300 - 350 for a fully featured DAC Pre-amp. The nearest competition would still cost three times as much.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system...erter/dac1-pre

But, you have to sell into the market you can work; and there might not be enough folk like me to make it a goer.
    Last edited by Labarum; 15-08-2009 at 13:06.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Adrian.

I have no problem getting to Homehifi using Mozilla Firefox. I expect to order a Caiman as soon as my WAD headphone amp sells on ebay!

Adrian

The Caiman is now sold out and has been removed from my site until further notice. Thanks for the excellent response.

Best email me if you wish to be put on the list when any more become available.

Stan
    Last edited by StanleyB; 16-08-2009 at 12:10.

I'm David.

I have said this before, if you need a remote foe your standac get a suitably long stick and put some blutack on the end!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    The Caiman is now sold out and has been removed from my site until further notice. Thanks for the excellent response.

Best email me if you wish to be put on the list when any more become available.

Stan
    Wow...I must have pulled the trigger on almost the last one. Well done Stan...was about to post another rave review about it..

The Caiman (or any Standac) drives a refurbished Quad 405 brilliantly.

The 405 has the resolution to show the differences between them.

There are two going here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Excellent-Quad...d=p3286.c0.m14

120w per channel of sophisticated grunt - they will last another 20 years.

Mine was refurbished by 405man, the eBay vendor of the two linked above.
    Last edited by Labarum; 16-08-2009 at 17:51.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Damian.

Default Caiman

Hi there

Please include me on list for next run - if there is going to be one.

Damian

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

"dg to the power 5" - See here for confirmation of another Caiman run - good for you, but not the ebay value of my "legendary first production run" Caiman! (Not that I'd ever sell the little beauty!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    "dg to the power 5" - See here for confirmation of another Caiman run - good for you, but not the ebay value of my "legendary first production run" Caiman! (Not that I'd ever sell the little beauty!)
    Do they have serial numbers? Would anyone know which batch a Caiman came from? And would it matter?
    Brian

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    Do they have serial numbers? Would anyone know which batch a Caiman came from? And would it matter?
    Just teasing really, I said before I think these boxes will be "legendary" in hi-fi folklore, maybe thats over egging it somewhat, but who knows? The more that are built, the less the rarity value, but meant very tongue in cheek!

I can't see any serial numbers - Stan can no doubt enlighten us, and also if production run 2 would be physically distinguishabe from the first batch.

BTW, as I'm here, my Caiman has now been on for 2 weeks, and is just getting better and better, though that could also be cables and amp burning in as I was too impatient to introduce the changes slowly... but headphones definitely improved - was a bit harsh when I first tried but 3 hours listening last night with no fatigue at all. The new Florence & The Machine album sounded awesome through cans.
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 18-08-2009 at 12:02.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast