Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pre-Amp bake-off - What Happened...

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I've had a TVC using S&B transformers in my system. I really liked it. Differences between the croft and the TVC was that the TVC was more delicacy transient whilst the Croft's main advantage was drive. Nothing wrong with either for me, just different.

Thought you had the Pure Sound pre?
    Not for a while ... went integrated for a bit then had various, Glasshouse passive, C-J PV14L, Tram2.

I would agree to some extent on the lack of drive on some TVCs, wasn't fussed with the Prometheus, Music First V1 was better, but the MFA MK II, with the V2 transformers in (25% bigger and not sold to anyone outside MFA) the clarity, space, soundstage etc is all there but no drive whatsover is lost, to my ears at least. This stacks up really well against both the C-J and the Tram2, and that into a power amp (Lyngdorf SDA2175) that is renowned for needing an active pre as it's not all that high gain. And compared to any valve pre I've heard the 'blackness' is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    With most types of music, I'd take drive over delicacy every time - especially when the valve preamp in question is also, erm, none too shabby at the latter!

Marco.

I'm not a huge fan of the Croft pres to be honest. Those I've heard have been musical, but compared to more high-end valve preamps (never mind the TVC) they have left a bit to be desired in terms of sophistication ... more to it than delicacy, more about naturalness IMO. Jolly good fun though. But my diet is mainly classical, in rock'n'roll sophistication isn't necessarily the name of the game. It's not really a criticism of the Crofts, I do think they are fantastic value for money but they are hardly the last word.

As far as any passive goes I think it's entirely down to synergy with the power amp, I don't think TVCs are a panacea by any means, but where there are no impedance issues (as there generally aren't with a TVC) and there's a nice healthy gain on the power amp (perhaps a juicy tube input stage), there's a fair chance an active pre will only muddy the sound to some extent. (Whether you enjoy the mud is a different issue entirely!).

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Tom,

No mud here, muchacho! Only beautifully clean white sands

The Croft I'm using has been very heavily modified, so probably unlike any other you've heard. Whether you'd like how it sounds or not, however, is another question.

We've been threatening to have a bake-off for a while, so perhaps I could bring the Croft down and you could compare it in your system to your TVC?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Great thread guys, and fab write-ups from all of you - sounds like it was a great day spent with kindred spirits listening to great tunes on great hi-fi with great food & drink - feck, it sounds like heaven!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Marco,

I think sometime back you had the opportunity to listen to the Croft Micro 25RS, how did this compare with your Charisma X and what were your thoughts in general regarding Glenns top of the range Pre?
    Hi Jim,

One of my mates had a loan of a 25RS, and it was very good indeed. However, we both preferred my own Croft. The main difference, sonically, is the influence of the bigger valves used in the C-X, as the musical presentation of 6SL7s is very different from that of ECC83s (or other small signal valves) - and that difference superimposes itself rather significantly on proceedings.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Tom,

No mud here, muchacho! Only beautifully clean white sands

The Croft I'm using has been very heavily modified, so probably unlike any other you've heard. Whether you'd like how it sounds or not, however, is another question.

We've been threatening to have a bake-off for a while, so perhaps I could bring the Croft down and you could compare it in your system to your TVC?

Marco.

Sounds like a plan Marco, would love to hear it. I'm currently awaiting arrival of a Radford STA100 from 1967 ... this arrived with a slightly sub-par output transformer. Radford Revival are winding a new pair from Radford's original spec sheets ... system sounds pretty good at the moment with the Lyngdorf but when that's here I'm hoping that will kick it up a notch. (Be an interesting comparison anyway). Anticipated in next 3-4 weeks. Wife is away most of August so maybe could pencil in a day and have a few more of the lads round?

The Radford STA100 thing is actually a wee bit more complicated ... it's one of those amps that have polarised opinion, those that have used it as a 100v line amp for studio work seem to think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but feelings seem to be more mixed for hifi use, perhaps in part because of optimisation for 100v line and 16 ohm speakers, rather than more modern 4-8ohm ... it's a bit borderline with 8ohm speakers especially cranked up a bit, which didn't help reliability.

Will and Steve have actually recommended winding a set of transformers from the TT100 spec sheet, one of old Arthur's very last designs which marked a return to valves after quite a few years in the 70s when Radford went solid state. The TT100 had a solid state front end but (I'm told) an almost identical power stage to the STA100 (100w from KT88s) except the OPTs are wound for 5.3ohm/8ohm nominal and the 100v line secondary has been removed - ie, exactly what we need to do to make the STA100 a proper hifi amp and probably more reliable as well (the TT100 didn't have the STA100's reputation for eating tubes). Graeme Hirst (Valvebloke/'Ampregen' is liaising with Will and Steve and knocking it into shape for me. (We'll keep the original transformers and everything done will be reversible).

It's low sensitivity so I'm anticipating that the TVC might be a better bet than an active pre (that's why it's here, in anticipation ....). But would be great to try the Croft on it.

If it all works out I'll almost certainly be giving it over to Radford Revival to do a full restoration on it (paint job, new boards etc). Their work is fantastic.

Hi Tom,

August could be good, mate. Swing me a PM when you've got a better idea of a date

Love Radfords!

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567