F.A.O Dave (DSJR, and also anyone else),

Could you do me a favour and ask what Adam (Beobloke's) problem is with the M3D here on pfm:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=64664 (see post #12).

I've noted your response on page 2 - you tell 'em, mate!!

HFW is by far my favourite hi-fi magazine, and I get on well with David Price, but I can't for the life of me understand what Adam (and Noel) has got against classic cartridges? They unfairly 'diss' the 103 at every opportunity and now it looks like the M3D is set for similar treatment...

What is their problem? They promote all sorts of vintage gear in the magazine, so why not also cartridges that can still compete with, and in many areas outperform, their modern counterparts?

What rips my knitting is that, on one hand, neither of them bats an eyelid (rightly so) extolling the virtues of Garrards or vintage valve gear, but when it comes to cartridges from a similar era, none in their minds can be any good. There’s no reason why well designed vintage cartridges can’t perform as well as some revered vintage equipment, given the right operating environment. Indeed, given such an environment, extensive listening experience tells me quite categorically that they do!!!

Perhaps someone (preferably Adam) could explain the double standards in evidence here?

Has Adam even heard an M3D? If not, he could try fitting one (with an N21D stylus) to the excellent Jelco SA-750D he reviewed, and so likes, including a heavy headhshell, put that on his Garrard, and then report his findings in the magazine – that way he’d be in a position to know what he’s talking about... Or would that affect his shares in Ortofon, Goldring and Audio Technica?

Anyway, if you could raise this issue with him on pfm on my behalf I'd be much appreciated. You could even link to the discussion here and draw his attention to my comments.

Marco.