View Poll Results: Should I get rid of my TV?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of it

21 29.58%
  • Best keep it, just in case

18 25.35%
  • I don't have a TV and I don't miss it at all

14 19.72%
  • I don't have a TV, but I do miss it sometimes

2 2.82%
  • I would love to get rid of it, but the wife would kill me!

7 9.86%
  • I do have a TV and wouldn't be without one

13 18.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I get rid of my TV?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Martin.

I like to watch a bit of telly late on when it isn't neighbourly to have the music blasting out (hate headphones) - I've got the full package, that's a couple of hundred channels which I've distilled down to about eighty that might have something worth watching on, so I just cycle through until something takes my fancy. Modern shows are generally not up to much but I like the old stuff from the Seventies and there is plenty of that across multiple channels. Anything with adverts I hit record then come back to it 20 minutes later and start watching it - that way you have enough time built up to fast forward through all the commercial breaks. I've done without in the past - at college I went 2 years without watching any telly or reading a newspaper - I didn't find out about the Berlin Wall coming down until 2 months after it happened. Never missed the TV, forgot all about it in fact. When I left college and started work I got a corking brand new 28 inch Hitachi and was instantly mesmerised again
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Anything with adverts I hit record then come back to it 20 minutes later and start watching it . .
    I do that too Martin, although I rarely watch anything 'live' now apart from F1 or Rugby, its always been recorded previously. When I lived in the Caribbean my dish got taken out by a lightning strike and it was over 6 months before the landlord replaced it, as he had to import a new one from the US - I missed it at first to be honest, but after a few months I didn't and I was a little annoyed when he fixed it - I'm one of those people that if its there I use it, but if its not I don't miss it. Music is what floats my boat and I'm not big on music DVD's, it has to be the real thing for me.

I get all my news from my tablet PC app or Radio4 now and that's all you really need, the rest is just filler IMO. I can't even watch F1 now with that gargoyle Suzi Perry and Rugby I prefer to watch at my mates, or down the pub with a beer and some atmosphere
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    • The Wire
    • Treme
    • Breaking bad
    • The Sopranos
    • Six feet under
    • Mad men
    • Borgen
    • Dexter
    • Homeland
    That's a half decent list Werner, apart from Breaking Bad and Dexter I have watched all those and really like them. I need to get Breaking Bad as my best mate tells me its my kind of series. I would add The West Wing, The Bridge and The Hour to that

I am just about to buy an ASUS 27" screen and with my Mini-T, HRT DAC, Celestion setup in the dining room, that will keep me happy. I have started weaning myself off TV this week, I haven't recorded anything and only watched Luther on my 24" Samsung on catchup - perfect for my needs I want my listening room to be uncluttered and calming . . . groaning Hi-Fi racks and a huge TV just don't do it for me . . . . anyway, I need to get my tin foil hat back on, I think there are watching me again . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The tinfoil heads are WATCHING YOU!
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post

I am just about to buy an ASUS 27" screen and with my Mini-T, HRT DAC, Celestion setup
    Looking at your link to the Asus site it looked expensive as it looks so bling, but it is only £276 at scan

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-as...dio-black-silv

ideal for a streaming pc/ spotify etc if you don't need tv tuners.

+ Reply to Thread