View Poll Results: Should I get rid of my TV?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get rid of it

21 29.58%
  • Best keep it, just in case

18 25.35%
  • I don't have a TV and I don't miss it at all

14 19.72%
  • I don't have a TV, but I do miss it sometimes

2 2.82%
  • I would love to get rid of it, but the wife would kill me!

7 9.86%
  • I do have a TV and wouldn't be without one

13 18.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I get rid of my TV?

I'm ChrisB.

Yes I saw that and applauded it - it's been bugging me for some time too.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    So, my question to Tim and the assembled is, how could you go without the following in HD with great sound:

- Game of Thrones
    - The Borgias
    - Suits
    - Person of Interest
    - Revolution
    - Continuum
    - Wallander
    (and several other Scandinavian dramas)
    Well, honest answer I can do without all of the above and if there is anything I really want to watch, catch up on demand on-line. I don't have SKY and never would, I can't watch F1 anymore because Suzi Perry does my head in and that's on the iPlayer anyway.

I will put my movie collection on my NAS and with all the Synology apps, I can stream anything to my tablet. I sat on the sofa last night and held up my tablet against my 42" TV - same size visually believe it or not, only good for 1 viewer though, but then its only me. Plug a pair of good headphones in and that's good enough for my use.

I cancelled my Radio Times subscription this morning and my TV licence expires on 31.7.13 - I will be listing it for sale in 3 weeks time and I'm feeling like a weight is about to come off my shoulders. But lets face it, if I do miss it I can always buy another one
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

There is of course one fundamental element here which hasn't been discussed yet, as I guess we are all frightened of mentioning it . . . . . . but you guys do realise that they are inside your TV watching you, don't you?

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well, honest answer I can do without all of the above
    Which is why I said "you can substitute your own". Perhaps instead of thinking of a TV as that, think of it as a big screen. If you are a film or drama lover, why would you want rid of the device that is closest to giving you a cinematic experience? Using a tablet up close with earphones is not a substitute!

I'm Werner.

Tim,

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Ok, so I've just named my favourites, but you can substitute your own.
    that’s what I hereby like to do (in deliberate sequence, if possible watched in the original language version):

• The Wire
    • Treme
    • Breaking bad
    • The Sopranos
    • Six feet under
    • Mad men
    • Borgen
    • Dexter
    • Homeland

Purchased on DVD or Blu-Ray and ripped. Look and sound just wonderful on my 27 inch iMac, Schiit DAC/headamp stack, Rokit 2.1 active speakers. For news I prefer radio and print and the occasional visit to some of my favourite newspaper’s websites. My partner has a huge flat-screen TV above in the living room, but most of the programme viewed upstairs comes from an attached WD media player. The moment live TV is being switched on I flee downstairs to my office :-)

There’s a quote dealing with TV. Unfortunately I don’t know it’s source and I only know it in German, so I’ll have to translate it on the fly: “TV works pretty much like the neutron bomb. It beams your brain away, but leaves the rest of the body functional.”

Werner.
    Last edited by Werner Berghofer; 03-07-2013 at 07:20.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    • Mad men
    I forgot that from my list, Werner, but agreed it's an excellent series and a really insightful look into the chauvinistic world of the 1960s.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

There is of course one fundamental element here which hasn't been discussed yet, as I guess we are all frightened of mentioning it . . . . . . but you guys do realise that they are inside your TV watching you, don't you?

Tell me about it - the buggers are everywhere... One of them even found our long-lost bunny.

The tinfoil heads are WATCHING YOU!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mark.

. Having just watched the end of the Glasto broadcast from last night (the Stones were just brilliant, as always),
    The picture quality in HD was fantastic on freeview HD ( free apart from the licence fee) on my Humax T2, you dont get that picture quality on the radio or iplayer

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    • The Wire
    • Treme
    • Breaking bad
    • The Sopranos
    • Six feet under
    • Mad men
    • Borgen
    • Dexter
    • Homeland
    That's a half decent list Werner, apart from Breaking Bad and Dexter I have watched all those and really like them. I need to get Breaking Bad as my best mate tells me its my kind of series. I would add The West Wing, The Bridge and The Hour to that

I am just about to buy an ASUS 27" screen and with my Mini-T, HRT DAC, Celestion setup in the dining room, that will keep me happy. I have started weaning myself off TV this week, I haven't recorded anything and only watched Luther on my 24" Samsung on catchup - perfect for my needs I want my listening room to be uncluttered and calming . . . groaning Hi-Fi racks and a huge TV just don't do it for me . . . . anyway, I need to get my tin foil hat back on, I think there are watching me again . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The tinfoil heads are WATCHING YOU!

MartinT Guest

Hope it works for you, Tim. At least big screen TVs have come so far down in price that it would be easy to reacquire one if you need.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast