View Poll Results: Please Rate this Album out of 10

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 - You'd have to be a zombie to enjoy this!

2 11.11%
  • 1 - Grimly Fiendish

0 0%
  • 2 - barely a pulse

2 11.11%
  • 3 - I quite liked Vincent Price's Rap

0 0%
  • 4 - More "sucker" than "blood"

1 5.56%
  • 5 - Shaken, not stirred

2 11.11%
  • 6 - Spookily enjoyable

1 5.56%
  • 7 - Scarily good

1 5.56%
  • 8 - I'm "staking" my claim and buying it

2 11.11%
  • 9 - The Spirit in the Sky!

5 27.78%
  • 10 - The Monster Mash!

2 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Album Club - Week 65: Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Tim,

I particularly like Marco's reasoning too, mind you I really dislike 'Strictly' but love this album, I don't dance, but wish I could and often say I will learn when I have more time, as I think music and dance go hand in glove.

The Billie Jean video is an historic bit of pop culture and I never tire of seeing that...
    +1, although I would add the word 'appropriate' before "music" (above), as not all music is the kind you would dance to!

The fact is (and it's simply a natural phenomenon) some people have little or no sense of rhythm, and *that* fundamentally influences their music choices, and in some ways, the sound that they also enjoy from a hi-fi system. This tends to lead those people into preferring music of the 'cerebral' variety: 'thinking man's music', if you will, devoid of a dance beat, and also curiously, as I've found, any boy/girl 'love interest'.

Generally, I find that people who might consider themselves as 'intellectuals', or the more 'reserved' sorts, shy away from the latter (or 'letting their hair down' in general), as they tend to subdue their emotions (in that respect, I'm the opposite, and am very demonstrative of mine), and anything that may be considered as dance music, although, as ever, there are exceptions.

For most of my life, I was of the opposite mentality (loving funky, beat-driven music one could dance to), and so the vast majority of my musical choices centered around anything with a 'boogie factor' (or what I would call 'pop ballads', say the likes of 'True' by Spandau Ballet, where the boy/girl thing featured prominently), particularly as I rarely listen to what one would consider as 'meaningful' lyrics (political shite and stuff like that), and so when many of you here, as teenagers, were into the classic rock of the 60s and 70s, I was into the soul, disco and pop scene. The Top 40 chart show, broadcast every Sunday night on Radio 1, was one of my musical highlights of the week! However, I also loved listening to John Peel, late at night, on my bedside clock radio... It was a curious mix!

Then when the electronic 'new wave' keyboard-driven music came in, during the 80s, I became hooked on that, as indeed most of my mates were. The music of Michael Jackson, and indeed rather embarrassingly now, that of Wham! and George Michael, also featured heavily then in my listening, mainly because I thought they were 'cool' Oh, and some nice looking girls at school also tended to like them There was a period, though, where I also liked Queen, Genesis, UFO, Rush, Pink Floyd, Gong, Wishbone Ash, etc, mainly when I got a motorbike and started hanging around with different people. Ultimately, though, I'm really an 80s music boy at heart!

It's only been in the last 15 years, or so, that my musical tastes have matured and diversified, massively, and now I'm into all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff, some of it very obscure. I'm also listening to classical music regularly now, whereas I'd never have entertained it before, as that (and the likes of classic rock) would've been considered as boring 'old man's' music! I was rather a trendy big bastard in my day, so was really only interested in what was 'current'...

However, just like with hi-fi, one's appreciation of music is on a continual learning curve, and I'm glad that my rather large collection of music now is packed full of widely differing genres from various eras - I simply wouldn't have it any other way... Apologies for going off on a tangent!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It's only been in the last 15 years, or so, that my musical tastes have matured and diversified
    I think if you are really into music this is inevitable for most people. If anyone had said to me 10 years ago I would be listening too and really *getting* country I would quite possibly have been very rude to them. Mind you, modern country and americana is vastly different to Jimmie Rodgers 'twang' country.

I think the more knowledgeable you get, the more you explore the roots of music and when it all starts to click, you understand of lot more of where the artist is coming from and why they sound like they do and what has influenced them. That is where I am now, exploring musical roots as well as new music and AoS has been instrumental in that.

I have always loved a vast variety of music since an early age, the first album I bought was Pictures at an Exhibition, the second The Planets Suite. I am happy listening to Opeth or Emmylou Harris and there's quite a void there, the only thing I don't really enjoy is rap and hip hop, but a black friend of mine in the Cayman Islands once said to me I wasn't supposed to like it
    Last edited by Tim; 09-11-2012 at 13:51.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

Well indeed, I would never *ever* have touched UB40 with an extremely long bargepole in past years. However, Marco got me to listen to the 12" single of Madame Medusa, which I subsequently discovered in my collection (not my purchase). It's a great song. Many barriers have been broken down over the years for me. Not MJ, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    ...the only thing I don't really enjoy is rap and hip hop, but a black friend of mine in the Cayman Islands once said to me I wasn't supposed to like it
    Lol - how true is that! You could almost say the same thing for some types of reggie. I'm not a massive fan of rap or hip-hop, but in general, I like a lot of black music, as it has 'soul', baby!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    However, Marco got me to listen to the 12" single of Madame Medusa, which I subsequently discovered in my collection (not my purchase). It's a great song. Many barriers have been broken down over the years for me. Not MJ, though.
    I'll introduce you to a lot more of 'Marco's favs' next time!

Marco.
    Main System

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Rap/Hip Hop and Country seem to be the two genres (hate that term) universally hated by audiophiles (hate that term even more!) - I think we definitely need a classic Rap album on Album Club soon to wind you all up!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Rap/Hip Hop and Country seem to be the two genres (hate that term) universally hated by audiophiles (hate that term even more!) - I think we definitely need a classic Rap album on Album Club soon to wind you all up!
    Funny you should say that Alex, as I intend to depart from my normal 'new' music next time and make myself unpopular with a country choice

That'll have y'all running for them there hills . . .
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Look forward to it!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Will.

Sugar coated pap, can't abide the album 0/10...sorry Alex

next time I'll be picking 'Fear of a Black Planet', lets see how that goes down with the anti rap brigade
    Cheers, Will

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Sugar coated pap, can't abide the album 0/10...sorry Alex
    Don't shoot the messenger - it was a "Reserve List" choice wheeled out for the Halloween connection, not my specific choice.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    next time I'll be picking 'Fear of a Black Planet', lets see how that goes down with the anti rap brigade
    That's exactly the album I was thinking of, Will!
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast