+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent inexpensive cartridge wanted.

I'm Lee.

Anyone gonna spill the beans as to who is making the cart
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Dave.

Not yet but it is £10 less expensive than I was originally told. It is £25.99

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Available here - only £27.47!

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Available here - only £27.47!

Looks like an upgrade for LP12 owners
    Only kidding folks ...
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Yes, I should add that wasn't a dig at Techies (I own an SL-150/SL-1500 myself!) or indeed the new uber-cheap (as yet unknown) cartridge HiFi Dave has waiting secretly in the wings... Just my little joke at what you can get cheap!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Not yet but it is £10 less expensive than I was originally told. It is £25.99
    Dave, you are such a tease...

Can you at least tell us something about the cartridge, even if you can't tell us where it's coming from?
    Last edited by synsei; 09-10-2012 at 15:02.

I'm Rob.

Another vote for the AT95e here, very musical, interested what the new super budget cart is

synsei Guest

There was an excellent thread on Vinyl Engine dealing with mods for the AT95. One fairly easy one is to cut the sides and front from the stylus housing leaving just the base. This obviously has to be done very, very carefully but apparently it improves the performance of the cartridge significantly. Probably best practised on an old, worn out stylus first though.

I bought an HE stylus from LPGear in the US for the AT95 I ran on my old Thorens TD316 which was fitted to a LINN Basik LVX arm and the improvement was staggering. Gorgeous delicate highs, a much more open midband and better definition in the lower registers, it also improved imaging quite a bit too. In all the sound was far more real...

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by freefallrob View Post
    Another vote for the AT95e here, very musical, interested what the new super budget cart is
    I wonder if the AT95E will be a distant cousin of this newbie giant killer?

The AT95E is one of those cartridges that works a dream in uber-decks and if you've got a good one, it trounces so many flash pretenders, despite not having PCOCC wires and gold pins like the AT110E was supposed to have (the 110E can be better but has a possible bass heaviness in some decks - or lack of treble depending on taste )

I'm still going to mention yet again the Shure Me97XE, since tracing of heavy 12" 45rpm grooves will be exemplary and its unexaggerated performance should allow hours of enjoyable listening with potentially better detailing than an AT95E...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I'm still going to mention yet again the Shure Me97XE, since tracing of heavy 12" 45rpm grooves will be exemplary and its unexaggerated performance should allow hours of enjoyable listening with potentially better detailing than an AT95E...
    I wouldn't disagree with you at all Dave. The M97XE is one of the candidates I am considering to replace the Goldring once its stylus wears out (unless I am lucky enough to obtain a replacement that is). Apparently an SAS stylus totally transforms the M97XE into a truly top performer, which appeals to me a lot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast