+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Remote Functionality' (with Display) for a PC?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    .............Just out of interest, Samsung are offering £50.00 cashback at the moment on their tablet PC's if you buy before 30th September. Samsung are now the largest seller of tablet PC's and smartphones, which is worth bearing in mind if you are FLAC and WAV ...............
    I work for a Brown Goods Service Company repairing S'Sung goods on a regular basis mostly under Warranty, thereby technically working for them (although we are independant). For this reason (and soooooo many others) I will not allow any S'Sung products in the house

I haven't really thought about buget as yet. Have just been browsing so far.
    Seen this :-
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Android-...item4607227e4d
    Thoughts?

Cheers,

James.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Lol, well here's my thought, I wouldn't buy that over a Samsung tablet if you gave me the money. But each to their own. I have a whole bunch of Sammy products here and not one of them has ever malfunctioned. We use them at work too - same story, hard drives, monitors, smartphones, laptops, netbooks etc, all grand (now they will all break tomorrow )

As I believe they are the largest semi-conductor manufacturer in the world, most peoples homes, cars and most other electronic toys are full of their chips as are most Apple products, which kind of makes their current spat rather amusing.

If you work in a repair centre then obviously you will get items in for repair, same would go for any other electronics manufacturer, not sure I understand that logic but hey we all like what we like for differing reasons. I personally wouldn't take that 40 quid tablet off eBay TBH, but if it works its a real bargain - I still wouldn't entertain it mind you
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm James.

Cheers Tim,

if you had to work for them you might understand

Thanks for the comments re the ebay Tablet. It is just a thought at the moment. I appreciate your comments though.

All the best,

James.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

If all you want is a "remote" control, running the apps to link in to the media player, then it might just be an absolute bargain! It might just be worth a gamble at 40 notes as long as you are aware of what you're buying, and that it will have its limitations as a tablet computer.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Hi James,

I think you need to look at something at around the £150+ price range. There are a load of budget units coming through at around that price. Once you get a decent tablet, you'll be using it a lot, so better to get a decent one straight away IMHO.

If you don't want a Samsung, consider the iPad range, as it's a blatant copy of the Samsung product anyway
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm David.

You can run LogMeIn on an iPad and on the Remote PC, works fine and you can move the mouse about ok.

A couple of weeks ago, I used my iPad via 3G to connect to my office PC, and then open a VPN connection from there to a clients machine in the USA to undertake some support!!

Basic LogMeIn is free.
    Mr Perceptive

System SB+Oppo93 -> Leema Elements DAC -> Mackie HR624 MKIIs

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Perceptive View Post
    Basic LogMeIn is free.
    Yes, thats true. But the App for tablets and smartphones isn't!
    And controlling via the browser is a bad compromise imo. Try Ignition, it's well worth the few quid it costs.

/Mike

I'm James.

Just an update for you chaps.

I went for a punt with the £40 Tablet from ebay. I realised that what I was purchasing could have turned out to be a load of rubbish but took the gamble.

As some of you suggested, yes, as a Tablet it turns out to be almost useless. Especially so if you are not all that good with the technical side of PC's of any description.
    It refuses to load many of the 'normal' Apps one would want to load. It does not seem to like the Google App store. Could it prefer a Chinese version of this as this is where it 'hails' from? I dunno!

However, a friend of mine who is a whizz with PC's has visited and...............loaded VLC (?) player on my PC and somehow managed to load a Remote App for VLC on to the Tablet and hey presto, it works. Sometimes begrudgingly (!) and the Resistive touch screen is a little frustrating at times, it also doesn't allow me to view Album Art but, as a simple remote to cue up a playlist of Albums or individual Songs and then sit back and listen it does what I wanted. If I really want the Artwork I can turn on my main TV to which the PC is connected and view the covers etc.

I have lived with this for a week or so now and it seems fine. If it proves to be too problematic then I may upgrade to a better Tablet (maybe even a Samsung Tim!!) but for the moment it is working ok.

Cheers for everyone's comments and suggestion,

James.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12