• 8 out of 10

2 20.00%
  • 9 out of 10

2 20.00%
  • 10 out of 10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club: 10.04.2012 Phantom Limb - The Pines (2012)

MartinT Guest

I hear you, Tim. Twice

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I hear you, Tim. Twice
    goooo on me old son, you know you want to
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Tim will probably have a contract on my head for saying this... but Yolanda's voice is very similar to Rebecca Ferguson from X-Factor a year or two ago... (She didn't win, so she was doing quite well I think!) You are right Tim - you would have no idea they are from Bristol - there is even the occasional Southern Drawl in her vocal! I've enjoyed the 2 plays so far, but nothing has really grabbed me yet and made me go "wow", so may be a slow burner... I will keep going, and rate it later.

A good opportunity to say well done to Tim for introducing us to new albums on both of this Album Club appearances - he's very much in the minority for going with something new, and it is good from my point of view to see a mixture.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Paul.

Enjoyable album with excellent playing and arranging. The material is very good but I did not find anything outstanding. Sounds pretty good even on Spotify so having it on a Naim recorded LP might have added an extra point. 7/10. Not tempted to rush out and buy though. Since they are Bristol band and on an audiophile label added to my list for consideration. Well done Tim for finding something new to me that is a good listen

I'm Rich.

Well what a lovely way to catch up on album club, as I write this I'm by a pool in south beach Miami and enjoying a cold g n t. What can I say, this album suits the day rather well. Indeed when I started listening I was sure these were an American act and then I read Tim's review and saw these came from Bristol which warmed my heart to think I'll get to see them live at some stage. The lead vocalist is nice and powerful yet very tender and the musicianship very good. If this weren't on spotify already I'd have bought it as I've quite a few other recordings from the main label. I tend to wait until they have one of their sales and snap up as many as I can. By far my most chilled album club post so far. Nice 1 Tim.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Thanks Richard, glad you like it - I take a slightly different road on Album Club by trying to find totally new music as opposed to Classics - quite tough to do TBH and AoS can be a tough crowd at times.

You should try their 'Live in Bristol' album, it has great energy and really showcases Yolanda, who I really rate as a vocalist. Its very well recorded too considering they are a relatively unknown band.

Enjoy the G&T's
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123