• 6 out of 10 - Unobjectionable

0 0%
  • 7 out of 10 – Ok, this is good and worth a few listens

1 8.33%
  • 8 out of 10 - I definitely like this and might even buy it

8 66.67%
  • 9 out of 10 – I almost wet my pants listening to this

1 8.33%
  • 10 out of 10 – Oh my god, I want her babies (you can’t actually, she’s not that way inclined)

1 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 06.03.2012: k d lang – Drag (1997) (CD)

MartinT Guest

Default Album Club: 06.03.2012: k d lang – Drag (1997) (CD)

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(k.d._lang_album)
    Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drag-K-D-Lang/dp/B000002NG2
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/album/4GDJ3VWtSW7uZcZoEOPT44

Oh my god, another album from a female artist. Even worse, an album of covers! What is Martin thinking of, giving us this soft shite? Bear with me...

Let me offer several reasons why I think this is a great album, both musically and sonically. The general theme is one of smoking and addiction - real and imagined. Firstly, that voice. For me, she has the most perfect, liquid, soaring voice with a purity of tone only just this side of Karen Carpenter. When she hits a note and gives it her all, it can take your head clean off. If you ever wanted to know about the ability of your system’s midrange to go way above average levels without hitting headroom limits or cone end stops, this is one of the best tests I know. Trust me, at realistic levels some of your systems are just not going to cope. Sink into it and wonder how she sings with such perfection, power and seemingly carefree delivery.

Secondly, I really like the rearrangements of some well known and loved songs. The Air That I Breathe (The Hollies) and The Joker (Steve Miller) are stand-outs, but listen to what she does with Don’t Smoke in Bed, and hang on to your midrange cones.

Thirdly, the recording is outstanding and the CD mastering is also excellent. No whiff of a ‘remaster’ here, and none needed. This is how it’s done properly, and yet the album only reached number 19 in the UK charts and thereafter sank without trace. I know hardly anyone who has a copy. A mention, too, for the excellent band accompaniment. Try the growling bass in The Air That I Breathe at 1:25, for instance, and how it remains distinctive and tuneful despite its deep extension. Or the strange vocal effect at 2:43, which you could mistake for distortion. What about the bass line in The Joker?

Apart from all the technicalities, however, this album is for me an almost perfect performance of great songs with a voice to die for. My favourite k d lang album, and that's saying something.

Ok, that’s it from me. Over to you guys – listen, comment & vote!
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 06-03-2012 at 20:26. Reason: It's March now Marti. ;)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well I know you already know what I think of this album Martin, so I'll wait to see what others think before piping up

"People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Barry.

Female artist , , album of covers , quite looking forward to this and a cover of Hallelujah.

I'm Keith.

I don't know why, but I haven't got this. I thought I had all her albums from the '90s, but this one passed me by. Anyway, rectified now - I've just splashed out £1.75 at Amazon Marketplace, so will comment and vote in due course.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm John.

Fabulous voice; no pretty girlie winsome lass gently strumming a tune and batting her eyelids with this women!
    She can belt em and softly sing the feathers off a bird.
    The only problem I've ever had with Miss Lang is her choice of material.
    I've got this and I don't need to play it to vote.

8/10 for this album but 10/10 for her voice.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I know you already know what I think of this album Martin, so I'll wait to see what others think before piping up
    Don't take too long, Tim

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

hmmmm.... apart from Ingenue, I don't have any kd lang... Best I get hold of a copy sharpish.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    hmmmm.... apart from Ingenue, I don't have any kd lang... Best I get hold of a copy sharpish.
    Dont bother Alex. You wont like her. She's not pretty, keeps her clothes on and prefers women to men.

Okay, okay, I'm going.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Dont bother Alex. You wont like her. She's not pretty, keeps her clothes on and prefers women to men.

Okay, okay, I'm going.

(Actually that sounds like my first wife... )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Simon.

I do enjoy it when an artists makes a good choice of covers and brings something personal to them. And that's what happens here.

Some excellent covers, great voice.

It gets an 8/10 for me, something to put on late at night and relax with a wee dram. I've got a few artists who have done similar types of albums which I do prefer (Nanci Griffith has done a a similar one and I do prefer her as an artist anyway) but this is up there with some of the better ones.

Very easy to make albums like this sound cheap and crass but this is done with a bit of class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast