+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: Theta Chroma 396 DAC

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    What, apart fron the Croft being a hybrid power-amp and the Theta being a solid-state DAC ?

Very close..
    I was puzzled too, Dave - but I think he means the utilitarian look of the Croft.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Matt.

Pics as requested

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks Matt.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I was puzzled too, Dave - but I think he means the utilitarian look of the Croft.
    Does everyone have to take my posts so literally? I'd forgot that the Theta units had a styling groove along the front, my fifteen year old memories being of a plain black front a la Croft Series 7. I was incorrect OK?

Bloody 'eck people, it's a GOOD DAC and I suspect it's better than a Gator-Caiman - certainly better cased and finished. I'd have it my bloody self but I just can't right now
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Matt.

Thanks Dave,

The build quality is bomb-proof, back in the day when stuff was made to last a life-time not just a season. The Chroma's facia has a brushed metal finish which has a steel-blue hue in certain lighting - very classy. These were about £850 new in 2000. Only selling as I came across a mint Theta Progeny which is just more of the same sound-wise but not as attractive in the flesh to my eyes.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

K Kessler used a Progeny Va for some years I think and rated it I think. One good memory I do have, is that Theta stuff had a "maturity" about it than much of cheaper alternatives lacked in comparison.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Craig.

I LOVE my Theta Pro ProGeny A soooooo much!

I'm Matt.

Provisionally sold.

I'm Matt.

Back up for sale

I'm Matt.

Now sold

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12