+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What oil for Garrard 401 main bearing

I'm Juha.

Default What oil for Garrard 401 main bearing

Hi to all Garrard 401 users.

I had some spare time on over the weekend and decided to check my Garrard 401 main bearing. All looked great inside and outside and after a good wash with IPA it looked good as new

I just need to order the felt oil pad on the top and the main bearing gasket on the bottom. What would be the best oil to use inside the bearing? Bearing has no slag and is really well looked after by the previous owner. I just want to have the right viscosity oil suitable for the bearing.

And please don't suggest using normal motor oil, because I am not going to use that .

P.S. I wrote to Dom to ask about his TT oil, but haven't got answer back yet.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You could also ask Loricraft, who know more about "stock" Garrards than practically anyone else I think. A look at the manual the 401 came with should also give a hint or two. Just don't flood the bearing as I once did because the thrust assembly then rotates occasionally, messing up the speed stability.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Juha.

Hi Dave.
    I will give Lorigraft a call tomorrow. I tried their home page yesterday, but no oil or other parts for sale, only RCM's and PSU's. Thats good to know not to over fill the bearing with oil, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You could also ask Loricraft, who know more about "stock" Garrards than practically anyone else I think. A look at the manual the 401 came with should also give a hint or two. Just don't flood the bearing as I once did because the thrust assembly then rotates occasionally, messing up the speed stability.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I used Dom's oil - seems fine, and comes with a pipette for easy application.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dominic.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Natalie's father passing away 3 days ago has slowed things down a bit.
    I can certainly supply suitable oil with a pipette as Alex has stated.
    Please order via the shop page on my website.

I'm Juha.

Hi Dom.

I am sorry to hear about your family lost. Unfortunately this is the time of the year when many of us will come across with this fact of life. Give Natalie my best wishes and strength to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Harper View Post
    Hi, sorry for the late reply. Natalie's father passing away 3 days ago has slowed things down a bit.
    I can certainly supply suitable oil with a pipette as Alex has stated.
    Please order via the shop page on my website.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Juha.

Ordered oil from Dom's shop, so now sorted. Thanks to all.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by selfaddict View Post
    Hi to all Garrard 401 users.

I had some spare time on over the weekend and decided to check my Garrard 401 main bearing. All looked great inside and outside and after a good wash with IPA it looked good as new

I just need to order the felt oil pad on the top and the main bearing gasket on the bottom. What would be the best oil to use inside the bearing? Bearing has no slag and is really well looked after by the previous owner. I just want to have the right viscosity oil suitable for the bearing.

And please don't suggest using normal motor oil, because I am not going to use that .

P.S. I wrote to Dom to ask about his TT oil, but haven't got answer back yet.
    strange you should start this thread I just asked Dom where to oil my 301, talk about great minds think alike
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Juha.

I needed to have something to tinker with after Christmas holidays and the Garrard was perfect for this . Are you planning to replace the bottom gasket and the top felt oil ring on your bearing. If so, you can find them from e-bay relatively cheaply, I ordered my parts yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    strange you should start this thread I just asked Dom where to oil my 301, talk about great minds think alike
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Andrew.

Felt pad has been replaced. I've been going to take some photos of the bottom gasket so that other forum members could give there opinion, but like most things I havent got round to it. I'm assembly the motor at the moment. I'm waiting for some bits I ordered off ebay, they seem to take forever to arrive
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread