+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ... hello from Dursley, Gloucestershire

I'm Oliver.

Default ... hello from Dursley, Gloucestershire

Hello,

I saw The Art of Sound after searching for Meridian Amps (551 model).

Looking forward to perhaps getting getting up enough steam to contribute ... and learn

Regards,

Oliver

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Oliver, sounds like you are up to pressure Welcome to AoS, I hope you enjoy your stay...

What do you tend to listen to & what do you listen to it on?

Bests to you for 2012
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Hi Oliver, sounds like you are up to pressure Welcome to AoS, I hope you enjoy your stay...

What do you tend to listen to & what do you listen to it on?

Bests to you for 2012
    Ta ... good to be here!

I range from Classical to Club on my simple yet effective Cambridge Audio 540R & Acoustic Energy Neo 1's connected by QED micro. I stream MP3's and internet radio via an Apple Airport Express, connected to the amp by optical cable. Relatively simple system yet really good results in my mind!

Happy 2012 also

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Oliver, welcome to AoS. Glad you found our little corner of the 'net.

Now then, I know this is your introductory post and all, and I really don't want to be rude on our first meeting, but may I respectfully suggest that an upgrade to your source (and I mean the very source) will be far more effective than Meridian amps? (Lovely though they are!) - in other words, I think you need to look at your file format first and foremost - you will be missing a lot of detail and finesse using MP3 instead of a lossless format, or less-lossy at the worst... Hopefully all things you will learn about now you are here! Seriously, I would strongly consider the format before going too much further as you will never get back what has been lost in the original file...

Well I hope I haven't been too rude - enjoy the forum, and all the best for 2012.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AOS Oliver.

Enjoy your time on AOS and have fun

Regards D S D L

I'm simon.

Hi Oliver,

I joined a few days back....my Mum works in Dursley and family originally from Wotton-u-Edge

I used a pair of Meridian 559's bridged for a while (1600wpc) great amps!

Cheers Si

I'm Oliver.

Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for the info ... I have heard this suggestion before.

The problem I have is that where do I get my entire MP3 collection from in lossless format?

Have a merry 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Hi Oliver, welcome to AoS. Glad you found our little corner of the 'net.

Now then, I know this is your introductory post and all, and I really don't want to be rude on our first meeting, but may I respectfully suggest that an upgrade to your source (and I mean the very source) will be far more effective than Meridian amps? (Lovely though they are!) - in other words, I think you need to look at your file format first and foremost - you will be missing a lot of detail and finesse using MP3 instead of a lossless format, or less-lossy at the worst... Hopefully all things you will learn about now you are here! Seriously, I would strongly consider the format before going too much further as you will never get back what has been lost in the original file...

Well I hope I haven't been too rude - enjoy the forum, and all the best for 2012.

I'm Oliver.

Thanks D S D L ... will do

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Welcome to AOS Oliver.

Enjoy your time on AOS and have fun

Regards D S D L

I'm Oliver.

Hey ... small world

Yes I think a meridian amp is a good way forward to be honest!

osmildmay

Quote Originally Posted by simonms View Post
    Hi Oliver,

I joined a few days back....my Mum works in Dursley and family originally from Wotton-u-Edge

I used a pair of Meridian 559's bridged for a while (1600wpc) great amps!

Cheers Si

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by osmildmay View Post
    I have heard this suggestion before.

The problem I have is that where do I get my entire MP3 collection from in lossless format?
    Hi again Oliver. Well I guess that confirms that you don't have the original CDs... So re-ripping isn't an option, then (on the plus side, that does mean you won't have to do it again - trust me, I've done my 3,000 odd CD collection twice now...)

I guess the first thing to do is to "stop the rot" and try and get better quality on anything you buy going forward - either by ripping yourself, or buying in lossless if that's an option. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a common one with the big players. There are other options, I guess, but maybe we could save that for another thread, as we probably want to leave this one for the rest of the members to say "hi".
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast