+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Security: Norton V Eset nod32

I'm Mark.

Default PC Security: Norton V Eset nod32

Our pc security is due for renewal soon. Over the past 7 years we've been using Norton Internet Security, though we've tried others along the way but they don't seem to work properly for very long for some bizarre reason. Always use the Norton removal tool so very strange. This last year the Norton has seemed to slow the pc down more than before, so i've considered trying the ESET IS. Does anyone have any comments? Running windows Vista and the pc came with Norton pre-installed. Thanks

I'm John.

Learn how to open and shut ports.
    Install a third party firewall.
    Use Firefox or Opera as your browser.

Remove all Norton/McFooy/other bloatware.

Engage brain when opening email and running scripts.

If you really think you're likely to be subjected to a virus attack get yourself behind a sandbox.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I'm sure people will disagree, but personally I think the free Microsoft Security Essentials is very good and I've been using it since launch.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-...-640587/review
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Ohhh, cheers Alex, I’ll have a look at that
    I got so pissed off with the security stuff available I just shut the ports manually now set a firewall.

Just out of interest, I’ve only seen one virus in over a decade of being online although Trojans and Spyware etc are a constant irritation
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Mark.

cheers Johno, this next bit may be a little hard for me unfortunately

"Engage brain when opening email and running scripts"

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Like John I have encountered a single virus, but it was down to my own stupidity Only a single trojan though in the whole 6 years I have been online... Funnily enough I installed it myself via a CD

Never had one from the net yet.

I run AVG2012 free edition, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes & CCleaner. Firewall wise I use a free version of Sygate Personal Firewall rather than Windoze own.

Just don't go for the full bloatware payed for version of AVG, you won't need it
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm drunk.

I'm Bernie.

I removed AVG (free version) from my PC (XP SP3) and installed WSE. Yesterday, after Nortons expired on the laptop (Vista) I removed it all and installed MSE on it too.

AVG. Nortons, McAfee all install so much bloatware on the system I'm glad to be rid of them all. Paying for security on personal computers is a waste of money.
    Bernie.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    I removed AVG (free version) from my PC (XP SP3) and installed WSE. Yesterday, after Nortons expired on the laptop (Vista) I removed it all and installed MSE on it too.

AVG. Nortons, McAfee all install so much bloatware on the system I'm glad to be rid of them all. Paying for security on personal computers is a waste of money.

But not if you do all your financial stuff on the one pc surely?

MartinT Guest

Both Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG 2012 Free Edition recommended here. I wouldn't go near Norton with a long bargepole.

I purchase AVG Business Edition for the work network.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast