+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi-Fi Choice mag to vanish?

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It used to be the case unitl quite recently that if you wanted to read about your hobby you bought a magazine or magazines. Now you can just log onto the internet - there is pretty much a forum for everything - multiple forums in many cases.
    My not-for-profit audiophile blog has just passed the 90k page-impression threshold. On a month by month basis the average build is circa 2.2k page-impression, compound.

Regards. Howard
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereonow View Post
    My not-for-profit audiophile blog has just passed the 90k page-impression threshold. On a month by month basis the average build is circa 2.2k page-impression, compound.

Regards. Howard
    Sorry Howard I've no idea what that means?

I was quite chuffed to make 'Forum Quote of the Week' once though
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    There is still enough interest in hi-fi to support 2 or 3 magazines. The problem is HFC is up against better competition if you exclude WHF. Also a large publishing company has expensive overheads compared to those running World and HF News. The competition is just an editor with a few freelance contributors.
    Probably true, but I suspect I was not alone in buying all three when I made my pilgrimage into town to W H Smiths. So to agree with Martin's point - more people (including me) are turning to free online resources - I don't buy any of them any more - £150 a year is better spent elsewhere. I don't expect I'm the only one.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Surely there's a business case to be made for an online only periodical, frankly i'm amazed Critic hasn't gone that way already,.
    I am indeed thinking about this rather more seriously now than I did last year. If I do it, then my blog http://not-boring-honestly.blogspot.com/ might metamorphose into a full-blown e-zine. The software to achieve this is (a) cheapish and (b) the learning curve is steep.

My business model, if I do this, will be innovative and break a lot of rules. And that's probably the main driver for me doing it. Regards. Howard
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Sorry Howard I've no idea what that means?

I was quite chuffed to make 'Forum Quote of the Week' once though
    Err, sorry. This statistic means that my reader-base grows by an average of 2,200 visitors per month measured over the preceding six months. The hope being that it will continue to do so. Regards. Howard.
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereonow View Post
    Like you Richard I have other sources of income from my inventions. One of them can be seen here > http://www.2muchtalk.com/

Kind regards. Howard.
    Interesting - they ought to make them compulsory for the public sector The savings would be astronomical.

Plus a few private companies I've worked for would certainly benefit too....
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Howard.

Interesting - they ought to make them compulsory for the public sector The savings would be astronomical.

Plus a few private companies I've worked for would certainly benefit too....
    We offered it free of charge to the entire NHS at senior management level. They turned it down. The reasons would appall you.

So I'm going to submit my report re this to my local MP. Maybe he can kick arse?

Meanwhile the care and life-saving techniques I receive monthly at grass-roots level at the NHS is truly outstanding!
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

yep I deal with the NHS sometimes - the Doctors & Nurses are great the management and organization are a disgrace.

Sorry off topic a bit
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Probably true, but I suspect I was not alone in buying all three when I made my pilgrimage into town to W H Smiths. So to agree with Martin's point - more people (including me) are turning to free online resources - I don't buy any of them any more - £150 a year is better spent elsewhere. I don't expect I'm the only one.
    My only regular buy is World with News if it's interesting. I realised buying them all was too expensive 20 years ago. Frankly I much prefer reading the printed version than the On-Line. You need a realy big screen to make this easy reading with comfortably large print. I do urge enthusiasts to buy one as we need to keep the remaining publications going except WHF which is a useless piece of AV tosh.

I'm Neil.

Sadly Hi-Fi Choice's re vamp a wee while ago took it imho too close to being another What Hi-Fi and since then I have not bought it. I do look forward to the yearly 'Collection' but even it since its revamp does not quite have the magic of the issues from the 80's and 90's.

I won't miss Choice but I will miss the Collection.

Re online magazines my own title does quite well month to month and I am pleased with the growth in readers; I pretty much have readers in most countries round the world though the bulk of them are in America, Europe and the UK. I think in the main, it is my in depth show reports that makes Adventures in High Fidelity Audio different to the print mags and a few of the online ones. Its a not for profit, no advertising title and a labour of love.

Regards D S D L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast