+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 291 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin & Jerry's Hifi Blog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Jerry. I'll look forward to greeting you and your graphic equaliser!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    If you're bringing your amp, Marco, you'll need a 1m single-ended interconnect.
    Do you mean a 1m pair? I don't need to bring the Croft then, do I?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Do you mean a 1m pair? I don't need to bring the Croft then, do I?
    Yes and no

Lol - what does that mean exactly?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - what does that mean exactly?
    Yes to the interconnect, no we don't need the preamp.
    Sorry to muck up your thread, Jerry

I'm gone.

Yup, the Para can take balanced - I can also bring along some 'interesting' RCA cables ...

And, yes, Marco -- I do believe I will bring along my graphic equaliser and some LPs to show it merits.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    And, yes, Marco -- I do believe I will bring along my graphic equaliser

Nice one Jerry! ("Oooh you are awful!" )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

A pile of pre-amps's at Jerry Towers !!

From the top ... a Morgan 500 valve pre-amp, a Bent Audio NOH TVC passive and a XTC Pre-1 solid stater.
    All very, very nice. Which one to keep? .... I'll keep 'em all for now.

The Bent Audio Transformer Volume Control passive pre is the latest addition. Collected from Paul 'Ganders' of the Wigwam a couple of days ago. Thanks Paul!

Let's have a closer look at the TVC ....

Central volume control, the knobs at either end set the input for each channel - an unusual arrangement. Remote control of volume, driven by a very neat pulley and belt arrangement ....

Isn't that sweet!

Inside are twin Stevens and Billington transformers and , I dare say, a rat's nest of wires! -- although I haven't yet peeked.
    At the rear, a load of RCA and XLR input/output options ...

Ok -- all hooked up --

The sound .... I rate all 3 of these pre-amps highly, but they do give their own take on the musical event.
    There's a relaxed naturalness to this S&B TVC pre that I don't think I get from the active devices. The music just kind of flows out in an unforced way. Tonality seems spot-on in the mids, treble is a tad on the smooth side - I use a very transparent but slightly bright Belkin interconnect and all is well with the world. (Cable unbelievers can ignore that bit ) - but there is not a trace of harshness or aggression - it really is a hi-rez pleasure. The bass is astonishing in its power, weight, definition and slam; that is not what I was expecting from a passive pre! It has to be the best bass I have heard from a pre-amp.
    Imaging is excellent, although I feel not quite as 3D in terms of depth as I get from the XTC, or from my old Krell KRC-3, for that matter. The solid staters seem to give the best soundstage depth -- hmm, whowouldathunkit? Not me! Well, actually, I already knew that the Krell and XTC excelled in this department.
    Dynamics seem pretty much unconstrained - but TVC passives are know for this trait - unlike some regular resistive passives.
    Detail resolution is of the highest, but it's just there, it doesn't force itself upon you.

Oh, I haven't mentioned gain. Is a passive pre enough with my 83dB/W speakers? I am surprised, and I still haven't got my head around this, but yes, there is more gain than I need. Which I find immensely puzzling. Fans of Eddy Louiss' "Blues for Klook" will know this as an astinishingly dynamic and fast track which is cut at an amazingly low level. Ya needs loads of gain to give it the welly it deserves, you really do. But, perhaps thanks to the +6dB gain switches on the TVC, I can flex the walls and rattle the windows no problem - as loud as I have ever played it - and I play it LOUD!! And there are still a few notches on the volume that I dare not even try. Baffling.

Anyway, that's an initial impression after just a couple of days.
    Last edited by jandl100; 27-07-2012 at 07:19.

I'm gone.

Hi guys - I think there is a case to be made for use of the PM system. It's a shame to let such an excellent facility go to waste for errrr, private communications!

Lol... I didn't consider the exchange as in need of being private, but whatever. All I need to know is what to bring, so either PM me the info or spit it out here!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Well, no, it's not "private" - but I do feel that it is f*cking up the thread!

A place for everything and everything in its place. tidy, that's me .... NOT!

+ Reply to Thread