Can't help there Mart, went the console route when the original X-Box came out and haven't used a PC for gaming since.
Printable View
Can't help there Mart, went the console route when the original X-Box came out and haven't used a PC for gaming since.
No!:):)
A question to the general populace.
I am currently using a PS 2 and have been more than happy with it. However as new games are PS 3 format, should I upgrade the console, or upgrade the PC?
Which is likely to provide the better graphics for the dosh. PC currently has AMD 4600 dual core and 4GB RAM. Graphics card is a Geforce 8600 (passive cooled). I would prefer the PC to be near silent and not sound like a jet engine.
Best answer I can give is if you dont want to spend a lot of dosh, go for a PS3.
If you dont mind spending the dosh and want a better gaming experience, go for a PC.
A lot of games that are out nowadays have been designed for PC, then dumbed down so they'll run on consoles.
When I say "dumbed down" I dont mean it in a bad way, as good as a PS3 is, its only got 256 meg of graphics memory, when these games get converted to run on consoles they tend to get simplified and the graphics get toned down to maintain a smooth framerate etc, if your happy with that then the PS3 is for you.
If you want more, you're gonna have to spend a few quid, you've got a perfectly capable PC already, nowt wrong with it, but with the games that are about now, you'll start to struggle to run high quality graphics settings and maintain a decent framerate and eventually it'll get on your tits and piss you off and spoil your gaming enjoyment.
Best advice I can give you is dont go to shop and buy a PC, however good the deal a shop will do you seems to be, you'll get ripped.
Do some research, buy the parts and build your own, dont go for specs that will "do the job", go for specs that will do twice the job, that will cover you for a while for even more demanding games coming out in the near future.
If you need a hand with specs and finding parts at reasonable prices, drop me a pm and let me know what you want to spend and I'll see if I can come up with parts n prices list for you.
Regards, Mart.
Just picked up Alan Wake and got through Episode 1. Seems to be shaping up to be a pretty cool experience.
having a telltale games phase (If you like point and click adventures, give em a try, I've played most of em now and they've all been good).
Just finished Sam & Max Season 3, and starting 'Puzzle Agent'. Think professor layton, but on the pc, and a bit quirkier.
Freebie Up For Grabs.
Call Of Juarez - Bound In Blood for PC
Graphics are ok but I think the gameplay is diabolically shit.
If any one wants it, pm me your address and I'll drop kick it into a jiffy bag and send it on its way.
Mass Effect 1 for PC also up for grabs if anyone wants it.
My wife received LittleBigPlanet as a gift a few months ago so I thought I'd give it a spin. I have to say it's one of the most charming games I've ever seen. Been a long time since I've played a platformer too.
finished puzzle agent, a bit easy to be honest, and the end was a bit of an anticlimax.
finished GTA: The Lost And Damned, highly recommended, it's quite short, but it's also quite a lot cheaper than a regular GTA game, and there's still plenty to do after you finish the story....
currently playing GTA: The Ballad Of Gay Tony, and it's very good indeed.
Just a heads up on a nice little deal here guys.
http://www.humblebundle.com/
Five great indie games for sale. Pay any price you like, and divide it between the developers and charities as you see fit.
aye I bought that yesterday, Braid is messing with my mind
thought I'd better resurrect this thread....
I finished Portal 2 (the single player bit anyway) the other day. What a great game! I highly recommend it.
Just getting stuck into the new Duke Nukem, which is not half as bad as the reviews would have you think. It's basically like Duke Nukem 3D with better graphics, and added extras such as being able to drive around in a RC car when you've been shrunk. Only a couple of hours in, but it's all good so far,
I've been meaning to ask, do any of you play games on Steam? my username is pogoyen, feel free to add me... especially if you want to have a bash at Portal 2 co-op. :)
Nice resurrection there Dan, though not much in common with you at the moment - getting stuck in again to Gran Turismo 5 after my PS3 died and I lost my original progress with it... :eek:
I've never been overly fussed with video games, OK the usual space invaders, tetris etc. when I was younger, and some GT3 & 4 driving games etc.
Until I started playing the Total War Series...I've now banned myself as it can become too consuming :doh:
Medieval Total War, then Rome Total War, Medieval Total War II (the best IMHO), the Kingdoms expansion pack, and finally the Empires Napoleonic release.
I even built my PC specifically to deal with the high performance requirements...
These games should come with a health/marriage warning, absolutely engrossing, historically faithful, superb strategy and battle gameplay...and can take over your life...it makes world of warcraft look like pacman ;)
Be warned...:eyebrows:
Just re-installed HL2 episodes one and two on the old windows PC via steam.
Love HL2... :)
I'm currently playing (and by when I say playing, I mean shouting and throwing my controller at) Deus Ex Human Revolution....
It is really hard. :steam:
I only have a ps2 and don't play it much. The graphics through my 42" panny plasma a a bit tiring on the eye.
I'm tempted to get a ps3 and they've just come down in price a bit. Can anyone tell me why would I need the 320gb version over the 160gb one?
Ta.
As far as I know... you only really need a small drive for your updates and savegames etc.... I think the only upshot of a larger disc would be to store your own custom music and video files....
Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own one myself, but I was investigating buying an XBox 360 and that was the conclusion I came to...
Right, ok. I think there's roughly £60 difference twixt the two.
Also depends if you want to download and save games direct to the hard drive - expansion packs, etc. I also store HD videos we'ver shot (of Avatar, before anyone says anything!) and I also have Play TV (basically a freeview box, which turns your PS3 into a PVR) so having lots of space for Charlie & Lola is a godsend! ;)
I've never tried recording to one, but you can certainly play stuff off of them or a USB hard drive, and doesn't need any special formatting or anything. They're easy to change the hard drive on anyway, if you want to increase it - once the warranty is out, of course!
I bought my PS3 just for the blu-ray as it was so competitve and defo NOT to play games.
So I spent 3 hours the other night playing Dragon Age II :lol:
When I were a lad I was never off the computer (C64 then Amiga 1200) and probably how I've spent the lat 22 years working in IT.
Until I bought a PS3 I hadn't played any games at all for years but really enjoy some of them - Dirt 3 is current fave but I'm also enjoying Mass Effect 2 along with Dragon Age.
I've got the old 80gb fat boy PS3 and I've used up most the hard drive just on games - GT5 takes a shedload if you install it, so much in fact that I got rid of it in the end, and games like Bioshock 2 take about 4gb, Yakuza 4 take over 5gb as well.
For the extra £60 I'd go for the 320gb.
My route up to the current stardate was very similar to Alex-UK's, but not including an Amstrad CPC machine. I then bought my first console, a Sega Saturn (all retailers in Kings Lynn had sold out of PS1's) on which I first met Lara Croft. Spent days completing Tomb Raider and thoroughly enjoyed myself. About the same time I bought myself an Atari 1024STFM and an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard accelerator.
Got bored with those and built my first Win98 PC: 200meg P1, SB AWE32 sound, Voodoo2 gfx and a heady 500meg ram and super fast 10gb 10000rpm IBM HD. A year and a bit down the line I sold the old machine to a mate for 100 quid refitted with cheapo HD, and built a P3 machine (800mhz P3, 1gb ram, Voodoo 5500 gfx [best gfx card ever in my book, Lara in TR2 never looked so good ;)], HD from old machine [too fast to give away] and onboard sound. OS was Win XP Pro.
Used the P3 with various mem upgrades for yonks coz it outperformed anything I ran it against, 'til multicore processors reared their ugly heads, which brings me too my current machine: 3.0ghz Core-2-Duo, OC'd to 3.6ghz on air using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. 4gb DDR2 800 OCZ Gaming ram, 800w Modular PS (forget the name of it but it's a good'un, very quiet and very white), Sapphire HD4850 gfx card, also OC'd. 1TB Samsung Spin Point F3 HD and 2TB Western Digital ext HD. Onboard sound, although I now run everything thru the Caiman via USB. OS is Win7 Home Premium 64bit. Due another upgrade soon mebe.
Games I have enjoyed thru the years are the various versions of Elite, All versions of Tomb Raider, Various F1 sims and other driving games, the Toca series being a particular favorite. Homeworld and Homeworld 2 (Homeworld being the better of the two IMO), GTA, all versions, although the best by far, also IMO, is San Andreas, various flavours of MS Flight Sim (currently flying FSX).
Then we get to the bane of my life, MMORPG's. I began with Runescape (please, I have feelings ya know :lol:), then graduated to Anarchy Online, a cyberpunk themed epic (played for 7 years), dabbled with WoW for a while but didn't like it. Dabbled with EvE Online for a while too but got fed up with losing ships and equipment. I'm now play Lord Of The Rings Online, mainly because I am a massive Tolkien fan and the game simply rocks!!! :cool:
And that's about it, for now...:doh:
ooh, nice thread.
I work in the industry and have been since 1989 - Over 40 titles released over all platforms starting from the ST & Amiga, started on the BBC micro... lovely machine and still highly regarded for it's high level basic language.
Two most fondest games of all time for me have to be Gauntlet, R-Type. Arcade of course as the 8 & 16bit versions were nothing but pish.
The Black Adder wrote:
Good taste, my friend; good taste! Though, I only played the 16-bit version of R-Type.Quote:
Gauntlet, R-Type
I hate video games and work for Sony playstation. How weird is that...:lol:
Anyone been playing Grand Theft Auto 5?
I'm desperate to have a go, it looks amazing!
I've borrowed an XBox (I'm a PC gamer exclusively), sorted out an AV cable (I don't have a TV) got myself a memory stick for the massive installation, now I'm just trying to find a place that has it in stock!
I shall be scouring Birmingham city centre for one today.
Same here :)
I used to be a prolific gamer, mainly on PC although I have owned consoles, the last being an original XBox. My fave game on that was Project Gotham Racing.
I have also played a few MMORPG's in my time including WOW. LotRo, Runescape and the game I'm currently playing, Anarchy Online. This is a cyberpunk based sci-fi epic which is also the longest running MMORPG out there having first seen the light of day way back in 2004. It also boasts the most comprehensive skills system of them all, allowing players to custimise and pimp their characters in many thousands of ways. Graphically it is looking a bit long in the tooth these days however there are parts of Rubi Ka, the planet it is set on, which are jaw droppingly beautiful. Funcom, who produce and support the game, have been promising an improved graphics engine for as long as I have been playing (since 2006), however at last things appear to be moving as Electronics Arts recently acquired a stake in Funcom and they are keen to develop the game.
It's a vain hope but I don't suppose any members here play the MMO Eldevin? If you do, are you having problems accessing it today? I'm pretty sure the servers are down however I'm looking for clarification ;)