PDA

View Full Version : Scalford show 6th March 2011

Pages : [1] 2

Marco
07-11-2010, 23:17
Hi Guys,

From James at Wigwam.......

"Dear all,

Just a quick note to let you all know that after the success of the last 2 shows, we are pleased to confirm that we will be running another "Bake off" at Scalford hall in 2011.

For more details please see the show's web site.
http://thehifishow.com/

We owe a debt of gratitude to Chester Group for kicking this off and funding the first two shows. However this is now a fully WigWam run event. The format will remain the same as previous shows.

We could still do with a few more exhibitors, if you fancy showing off your system (all systems welcome, from few £ worth of second hand vintage to £50k exotica) please sign up here http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...te-spreadsheet

It's a great day out, I am not really involved much, it's all run by the members of the forum so your support will be much appreciated. Buy your tickets in advance to save money!"

--------------

AoS will be supporting this event and as usual we'll be demonstrating our own system.

The Scalford Hall bake-off is a superb event for enthusiasts, so I would encourage as many of our members to attend (and exhibit) as possible, therefore please get your names on the spreadsheet and buy your tickets A.S.A.P! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
21-11-2010, 18:48
I meant to say, those thinking of coming to the show should express their interest here... ;)

I presume that some of you are coming?

Marco.

Reid Malenfant
21-11-2010, 18:54
Yes, i'll be there, unfortunately for everyone else :lol:

Looks like i'll be helping Alex out with his fuel ;) I must say i'm looking forward to it & meeting a few people from AoS :)

chris@panteg
21-11-2010, 18:54
I might go again ' hoping to bring along my old mate John .

I wonder if Guy might bring those mighty horn's again:)

Marco
21-11-2010, 18:57
Indeed. Guy will definitely be there, but not sure what he'll be bringing kit-wise this time.

Glad that you're coming, Chris - hopefully this time we can have a proper chat and down a few frothy ones, on me, in the bar :cool:

Marco.

John
21-11-2010, 19:05
I be interested in coming
I love to bring my speakers but would need help to bring them down from the loft (I give you a lift to the show if you volunteer)

Rare Bird
21-11-2010, 19:07
I won't be going this time chaps. hi-fi is getting further away from my intrests these days i'm sorry to say.

Marco
21-11-2010, 19:13
Lol - let's see how you feel by March next year! ;)

And anyway, dude, it's not all about hi-fi - it's a social occasion and lads get together more than anything else....

Marco.

Jonboy
21-11-2010, 19:33
I'm going up with Mike the valve fingers crossed so if anyone wants to come up with us i will have a few spare seats in my people carrier, i will only go on Sunday though, its a fair old trip from down here, donations for Diesel wil be gratefully recieved

Alex_UK
21-11-2010, 20:43
Yep, I'm not intending to miss it this time, would be good to meet a few more people face to face and not just via the web. :)

The Vinyl Adventure
21-11-2010, 21:07
I wonder if I could get my speakers along...

SteveW
21-11-2010, 21:08
Absolutely
Last year was really enjoyable. So I'll be there...possibly the night before as well.
Any help needed.. I'll be around

cheers
Steve

SteveW
21-11-2010, 21:09

ohh.. what fun. Need any help..give us a shout.

Marco
21-11-2010, 21:22

Defo, matey - they could be part of the AoS system! :)

I reckon we'll be using either my Celestions or Anthony's SP1s, as we're doing stand-mounts this year to show just how good a sound you can get from small speakers, so the Adams would be great to slot in there at some point :cool:

I could pick you up on the way down ;)

Marco.

Alex_UK
21-11-2010, 21:24
Do it Hamish, would be great to meet you and buy you a beer (as I know you won't be driving!)

John
21-11-2010, 22:08
Defo, matey - they could be part of the AoS system! :)

I reckon we'll be using either my Celestions or Anthony's SP1s, as we're doing stand-mounts this year to show just how good a sound you can get from small speakers, so the Adams would be great to slot in there at some point :cool:

I could pick you up on the way down ;)

Marco.

Cool not have to worry about mine then:)

Marco
21-11-2010, 22:13
Hi John,

I wouldn't completely rule it out, mate, as it'll depend on whether we can get down to London to pick your babies up or not (as discussed), and also what size of room we end up with :)

Marco.

John
21-11-2010, 22:15
Ok cool

alfie2902
21-11-2010, 23:46
I'll be there again. It will be good to catch up with a few members I've met from here & to put a few more faces to names!

For anyone that's not made it to the last 2 Scalfords, it is a rather good day out :eyebrows:

If anyone fancies showing their own system? I think there's still a few rooms left. Here's the thread to add your name to. Also check out the spreadsheet to see what kit's on show! http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?44309-OMG-it-s-everyone-s-favourite-spreadsheet

As most know, the Wam are running this years show & as a fund raiser one of the members over there has put together a raffle :eyebrows: There's some pretty nice prizes to be won, including 3 systems over the 15 or so prizes :eyebrows: £1 a ticket with all proceeds going towards the show costs! http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?45187-The-Scalford-Raffle....Win-a-HiFi....after-donating-it!!!!

Oh & stop being a wimp Marco & get the Lockwoods there :);)

Marco
22-11-2010, 16:20
Alfie - lol! Been there, done that, and never again... It's not you that has to lug the buggers up and down the (very narrow) stairs in my house! ;)

No, this year, unless I can get down to John's place and pick up his OBs (and him) from London before the show, then it'll be quality stand-mount speakers in the AoS room. Worry not though, as we'll (hopefully) still be making a fab sound as usual! :)

The likely system will be as follows (subject to other members of the mod team or any other members adding their kit):

Turntable: heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G with customised Mike New platter and bearing, Paul Hynes SR5 PSU, Jelco SA750D tonearm and Isonoe feet.

Cartridges: Ortofon Classic GM SPU, Denon DL-103, Shure M3D; the former MCs used with either an A23 SPU SUT or modified Lentek MC head amp.

CD player: either my Audiocom-modded Sony X-777ES, used as a transport, or Anthony TD's Sony X-55ES (or his Eikos) used as a transport, and my Audiocom-modded Sony DAS-R1 as DAC.

Preamplifier: either my modded-Croft Charisma-X, Anthony's Soul Mate, or Ian Walker's transformer-based passive pre, built by Nick G.

Power amplifier: either my 40WPC Class A Copper valve amp or Ian Walker's, or Anthony's Soul Mate single-ended amp.

Loudspeakers: either my Celestion Ditton 15XRs (hopefully with upgraded crossovers by then) or Anthony's SP1s, John's OBs or maybe Hamish's active Adams.

Speaker stands Atacama SL-400, or whatever else is appropriate.

Equipment supports: two separate stacks of 'Phase 4' non-magnetic SS Mana, one of which will support a six-tier rack to house most of the electronics. The other stack will feature a two-tier rack, housing the T/T and power amp.

Cables: Mark Grant Furutech-upgraded DSP 2.5 mains leads, Mark Grant G2000HD interconnect cables (with WBTs), and VDH 'The Wind' speaker cable.

Supplementary ancillaries: Tube Distinctions mains filter (upgraded with Furutech 13A sockets), and mains distribution block from Mark Grant (again upgraded by Furutech 13A sockets).

I'm sure that the likes of Nick (Beechwoods) will add some of his fab tape machines into the equation. A Sony PS3 may also be featured, streaming FLACS from its hard drive and built-in DAC, though a Nick G designed valve buffer stage. It'll depend on whether Ian wants to bring this.

And of course the system can be added to at any time if members coming to the show are bringing their kit with them and would like to hear it on the AoS system. Should that be the case, please confirm your interest here A.S.A.P :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
22-11-2010, 16:32
I'm signed up and will be exhibiting myself in partnership with Steve / 12bears. :)

In fact, I'd strongly recommend teaming up with somebody. That way the room responsibility is shared and some time off can be had to see what other exhibitors are up to!

Don't just pile your stuff into the AOS room - git yourselves a room of your own. It really is a huge amount of fun and also helps the Show to be a more interesting place and will help more towards its success, imho.

Steve will be bringing along his Wilson Benesch speakers and I am sure his new NAD M2 super-fi amp.
Current plans are for me to bring along my Wadia cdp, Techie SL1800 tt setup and whatever else I have handy. My tape deck demonstrations have been well received on previous years, so I may well do that again too.
But of course what I bring will depend on where my box swapping has taken me between now and March 6th!! :eyebrows:

Marco
23-11-2010, 10:47
Don't just pile your stuff into the AOS room - git yourselves a room of your own. It really is a huge amount of fun and also helps the Show to be a more interesting place and will help more towards its success, imho.

Yup, Jerry - good point. I would also encourage others to do that, as it'll give the show more diversity.

I just wanted to let people know that if they don't want to exhibit in a room of their own (not everyone will be comfortable with that) they're more than welcome to bring their gear into our room and try it on our system :)

I'll certainly pop into your room and say hello, and look forward to hearing whatever kit you've got by March next year! :eyebrows:

Marco.

chris@panteg
24-11-2010, 10:29
Indeed. Guy will definitely be there, but not sure what he'll be bringing kit-wise this time.

Glad that you're coming, Chris - hopefully this time we can have a proper chat and down a few frothy ones, on me, in the bar :cool:

Marco.

Thanks Marco !:) very decent of you

This time i must set off a bit earlier , found myself rushing about to the point of rudeness to the exhibitor's last march , a poor effort from me:( must do better as my old teacher used to say.

chelsea
24-11-2010, 13:40
Yup, Jerry - good point. I would also encourage others to do that, as it'll give the show more diversity.

I just wanted to let people know that if they don't want to exhibit in a room of their own (not everyone will be comfortable with that) they're more than welcome to bring their gear into our room and try it on our system :)

I'll certainly pop into your room and say hello, and look forward to hearing whatever kit you've got by March next year! :eyebrows:

Marco.

:lol:

Mark Grant
24-11-2010, 19:10

Yes please :)

If you can find a way to get spotify working there, a PC linked to a USB input DAC with remote volume control ( new audiolab maybe ? ) connected directly to those speakers ( no pre amp) it would be an excellent minimalist demo system. :)

Marco
25-11-2010, 08:00
Are you coming then, Mark? I think you'd enjoy it if you did :)

Marco.

Mark Grant
25-11-2010, 09:41
I hope so :) Will plan ahead this time so I dont miss it.

Mark.

Alex_UK
25-11-2010, 09:45
Yes please :)

If you can find a way to get spotify working there, a PC linked to a USB input DAC with remote volume control ( new audiolab maybe ? ) connected directly to those speakers ( no pre amp) it would be an excellent minimalist demo system. :)

I use Spotify on my laptop via a broadband "dongle" which is fine if you're in a decent reception area, but I would worry that deepest darkest "pie country" wouldn't have the required coverage. Maybe the hotel has wi-fi, though, for guests who are staying over? Can't find any reference to it on their website, but as they major on being a business/conference centre I would be very surprised if they don't in this day and age...?

YNWaN
25-11-2010, 12:11
I seem to remember that the hotel does have wi-fi - but the reception is very patchy.

Marco
25-11-2010, 12:34
Thank goodness we don't need that nonsense to play records, eh Mark? ;)

Marco.

SPS
25-11-2010, 18:39
I hope at least to visit this time, i dont think my speakers will fit in the next car... so i'm holding back on exibiting again
the room i usually get is missed by most.. and a little to big really

i may knock up some smaller baffles then see if there's any smaller (to match them) rooms left.. but it will be closer to the date...

cheers
steve

alfie2902
27-01-2011, 21:51
Room allocations are up on the Wam.

Art of Sound have been allocated Syndicate 5. Nice room IIRC just a wee bit smaller than the Rutland Room. Should be good chaps! Really starting to look forward to this now!

Marco
27-01-2011, 22:43
Hi Alfie,

Interesting! What floor is Syndicate 5 on (or where is it?) - I can't seem to recall that particular room... :)

Marco.

alfie2902
27-01-2011, 23:24
It's on the first floor Marco Just above & to the left of the Rutland room. Here's a pdf map http://www.scalfordhall.co.uk/Attachments/745_SH_FirstFloor.pdf

You could get the wardrobes up those stairs :eyebrows:;)

Marco
27-01-2011, 23:39
Lol - that'll be bloody right! :mental:

It's stand-mount speakers this year for us (and likely vintage ones), with the theme of 'how big a sound you can get from small boxes?' :eyebrows:

I'll need to get some more info on that room, in terms of dimensions and the overall layout.

Marco.

alfie2902
28-01-2011, 00:06
Only yanking your chain over the wardrobes mate. Must of been a ball ache last year!

I have got a yearning to try a pair of 15" GRF's in my system/room though :eyebrows:;)

The rooms the same width as the Rutland I believe & a metre or two less in length.

Lodgesound
01-02-2011, 21:50
I'm exhibiting this year.....LS 5/8's and Nagra tape machines..

Beechwoods
01-02-2011, 21:55
I might bring my IV-S along. I might have had the only reel to reel there last year, my RT-707. I don't think it'd hold a candle to your Nagra D though!

Lodgesound
02-02-2011, 13:54
Please do Nick..................you'll just need the balanced output cables to interface with the gear we'll be using...

Look forward to meeting you..

Beechwoods
02-02-2011, 14:45
I will! Balanced cables I have... :)

Marco
02-02-2011, 15:45
Hi Stewart,

Your room will be one of the first ones I'll be heading for, when I get a chance to leave ours! :cool:

Marco.

TBL
02-02-2011, 18:08
I'll be Exhibiting again this year, although last year was vinyl but this year I think I will take the CDP. I've got syndicate 16 which I hope will be a bit bigger than the pokey bedroom I had last year. But the real bonus is I will be a long way from OB1's room and 120db of heavy metal pounding through the walls all day long. Jeez I went home with one hell of a headache after that. :eyebrows:

Be lovely to see some of you if you care to drop by with any of your own CD's

ALSO if any one is close by and wants a lift give me a shout, as long as your prepared to help me hump my speakers up too the first floor and back again at the end of the day.

Lodgesound
02-02-2011, 23:29
'Twill be a pleasure to meet you Marco....

Marco
03-02-2011, 10:42
Same with you, Stewart. I would like to discuss vintage BBC broadcast equipment with you, and of course listen to some of those superb reel-to-reels... :)

Hope you have a great show! :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 22:01
who's attending from here then chaps & chapesses? :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
20-02-2011, 22:06
who's attending from here then chaps & chapesses? :eyebrows:

I shall be coming, via Pottyborough to collect Mark (Reid Malenfant) - Dave DSJR has an open invitation to ride shotgun, but not sure if he will be coming yet. Anyone else en route need a lift? (Between Ipswich and Scalford, via Peterborough.)

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 22:10
Sounds good Alex, i'll be there, coming on the choo choo with our lass, i just need Marco's Taxi's to pick me up from Mowbray station.

I can't wait to listern to even more crap stereo's :lol:

Marco
20-02-2011, 22:26
Lol - I'll be there when ya needs me, dude. I'll need to give ya my mobby.

Btw, the speakers AoS will be using are these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190500760141

I know, I know, I know.... :doh:

I can't believe myself how much I paid for them, but f*ck it, it's only money :lol: :mental: :lol:

TBH, I went round on Friday night to listen to them and check the condition, and fell in love with them on the spot.

Marco.

flapland
20-02-2011, 22:40
Andre

Are you going on the Choo Choo on Saturday or Sunday, if its Sunday you do know the first train doesn't arrive until after 12.00. This doesn't leave very long when you factor in the journey to Scalford. If Saturday of course no problem but useful info for others.

First year I learnt this lesson, last year got picked up in Peterborough and this year found a B+B so making a Curry and day of it.

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 22:51
Andre

Are you going on the Choo Choo on Saturday or Sunday, if its Sunday you do know the first train doesn't arrive until after 12.00. This doesn't leave very long when you factor in the journey to Scalford. If Saturday of course no problem but useful info for others.

First year I learnt this lesson, last year got picked up in Peterborough and this year found a B+B so making a Curry and day of it.

Hi Paul
Wheres the B+B cos i actually thought about going Saturday have a look around Melton Moby, takes three flaming hours on the choo choo, the bake off is on Sunday only innit!

btw: Nice one with the Ditton '66' Marco you nutter they must have been the most expensive pair i've ever seen for sale.. :lolsign:

Love the message he added to the listing Marco: 'FEEL FREE TO BID, GO ON , IL HELP YOU EXPLAIN IT TO YOUR WIFE ' :lol:

Alex_UK
20-02-2011, 23:04
Only other option Andre if you don't want to stay Saturday is I can pick you up from Peterborough station on the Sunday. And yes, +1 to the nutter comment! Marco must have the most expensive collection ever of Celestion speakers, and he only has 2 pairs! ;)

Marco
20-02-2011, 23:09
Lol - I know.....lunacy!

*But* we needed a pair of speakers for the show, as I ain't taking the Lockwoods again, and I don't think stand-mounts (either my Ditton 15XRs or Anthony's SP1s) would cut it in the size of the room we've been allocated.

I heard the 66s on Friday night through a Technics separates system, and was utterly gobsmacked, so God knows how they'll sound on the end of the copper amp, etc...... :eek:

Trust me, when people at Scalford hear what these babies sound like on the end of our system, the cost will be entirely justified! ;)

I'll be creating a separate thread in Past Masters, shortly, on my purchase of the Celestions :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 23:12
Celestion were an amazing speaker company back then. 'Ditton 33' are still my favs

flapland
20-02-2011, 23:12
Hi Paul
Wheres the B+B cos i actually thought about going Saturday have a look around Melton Moby, takes three flaming hours on the choo choo, the bake off is on Sunday only innit!

btw: Nice one with the Ditton '66' Marco you nutter they must have been the most expensive pair i've ever seen for sale.. :lolsign:

Hi Andre

I am staying at the first one following but I believe took the last room. I was also suggested another B+B on a farm that might have a room and is the last listed. If not try a wider area and see if anyone is willing to be taxi Sunday morning.

www.beckmill.co.uk I think now full

or try
www.stonepitsfarm.co.uk
approx. 3 miles in the opposite direction in a village Called whycomb according to lady who gave me these suggestions.

Paul

Marco
20-02-2011, 23:21
Andre, if Anthony and/or Ian Walker can't make the show (and there's a chance this may happen), you're welcome to sleep in one of the rooms at Scalford Hall we've booked... :)

As long as you come and help us set-up the system! ;)

At the moment we've got two rooms booked with twin occupancy (single beds, don't worry :eyebrows:) and so far only Beechy and me are guaranteed to be using them.

We won't know if Anthony's going to make it or not until the last minute, but I'll find out from Ian tomorrow if he's going or not. If not, you're welcome to take his place.

Marco.

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 23:26
Got all these idea in my head now :lolsign: trubs is the wifey is with me cos were joined at the hip you see..I'll sort summert don't worry. :)

Alex_UK
20-02-2011, 23:28
Got all these idea in my head now :lolsign: trubs is the wifey is with me cos were joined at the hip you see..I'll sort summert don't worry. :)

Not sure I want to pick you up now - conjoined twins getting married is just wrong! ;)

Rare Bird
20-02-2011, 23:32
Not sure I want to pick you up now - conjoined twins getting married is just wrong! ;)

If you treasure you suspension springs you don't wanna be :lol:

Reid Malenfant
21-02-2011, 11:13
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190500760141
:eek: Flaming hell :D

You been on the lash Marco :drunk:

They are good, but maybe not that good :)

DSJR
21-02-2011, 11:34
I have a tutorial on the Saturday in Ipswich and I'm not sure about the Sunday, despite wonderful offers of a lift.....

I'd LOVE to hear Ditton 66's again though. I adored them at the time and remember doing up some of the replacements 662 and also some 552's from memory - we took the last two super-tweeters that Celestion had for them. A wonderful bridge between older beef boxes and modern squeakers. SOME Celestions from more modern production are really good too - DL8's and the A series from memory :)

Marco, please don't go for deafening levels with the 66's. They were designed for quality domestic use, rather than PA levels and you'll have a major problem if any old drivers get fatigued, as well they might...

Marco
21-02-2011, 11:45
:eek: Flaming hell :D

You been on the lash Marco :drunk:

They are good, but maybe not that good :)

LOL! Mine though, look, erm, rather less 'distressed' than yours!! :eyebrows:

Seriously, all I can say is that in over 25 years of being involved in hi-end audio, I've rarely heard a pair of loudspeakers that sound more musically 'right'. That's they best way I can put it.

I can't wait to hear them on the end of Ian's system, and also my system at home, which will give me a benchmark of what to try and achieve with our system at Scalford Hall.

Dave, you simply MUST make it to Scalford, as there are a number of items in our system you need to listen to in order to prevent some of our 'interesting chats' rearing their heads here in future regarding things such as the SPU. I may even bring my "seriously coloured" sounding Koss headphones for you to hate ;)

Also, please see the separate thread about the Celestions, as there is some info I need which you may be able to help with:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9901

:cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
22-02-2011, 14:51
Yeh come on Dave mi owd sausage be great to meet you..The wifes a Capricorn anorl..

Reyt all sorted for a week a Sunday, booked the entry tickets just now online saved a few quid..all ready to go..i'll actually be there early, with DIY ID tag so peep can avoid me like the plague :lolsign:

Beobloke
23-02-2011, 14:48
Make sure you come in and see all the vintage goodies in the Cottesmore Room then, Andre!

:eyebrows:

Marco
23-02-2011, 15:28
Yeh come on Dave mi owd sausage be great to meet you..The wifes a Capricorn anorl..

Reyt all sorted for a week a Sunday, booked the entry tickets just now online saved a few quid..all ready to go..i'll actually be there early, with DIY ID tag so peep can avoid me like the plague

What it's it gonna have written on it? "Sex God and Daftee"? :lol:

Marco.

Beechwoods
23-02-2011, 16:44
I'll have my badge on too. It's well worth doing yourself one, so shy types who would say hello if they knew who you were can have a helping hand, or avoid you as the case may be ;)

Rare Bird
23-02-2011, 17:26
What it's it gonna have written on it? "Sex God and Daftee"? :lol:

Marco.

Goes without saying.. :eyebrows:

Make sure you come in and see all the vintage goodies in the Cottesmore Room then, Andre!

:eyebrows:

Sure will Adam, you taking the Sondex?

Marco
23-02-2011, 18:38
The Sondex... Gosh, yes, please say you're bringing it, Adam - it'll bring back so many good memories! :)

Marco.

Tim
24-02-2011, 18:17
I meant to say, those thinking of coming to the show should express their interest here... ;)

I presume that some of you are coming?

Marco.

Gosh, I would have loved to have come, but as I have only just joined the forum and found this thread today, it's too short notice for me, as I have plans!

Next year should be good. I would have loved this too, I live in the South now, but I grew up in Stamford. I used to buy all my music in Stamford Music Shop, I wonder if it's still there? Have fun all those going.

technobear
24-02-2011, 18:50
I will be at the show. Come and visit me in Syndicate 7 which is above the Quorn room.

Here are some plans you might like to study. I gather they will be handed out to visitors in the form of a program. Navigation can be a little tricky because the first and second floors are not all joined up! These versions are easier to read than the hotel's own:

http://www.technobear.btinternet.co.uk/hifi/Scalford_Ground.jpg

http://www.technobear.btinternet.co.uk/hifi/Scalford_First.jpg

http://www.technobear.btinternet.co.uk/hifi/Scalford_Second.jpg

See you there :)

Rare Bird
24-02-2011, 19:00
I live in the South now, but I grew up in Stamford. I used to buy all my music in Stamford Music Shop, I wonder if it's still there? Have fun all those going.

Do you mean Stamford Audio!

Tim
24-02-2011, 20:00
Do you mean Stamford Audio!

No, pretty sure it was Stamford Music Shop, on the hill up towards town from the river, with The George Hotel. They sold LP's in the front and instruments I think in the back, never really got past the front section and the two 'very helpful' girls, Christine & Mandy..... was it the music I was going in for, or them?

All my hard earned cash went in there...... we are going back to the mid 70's mind you.

Jac Hawk
24-02-2011, 20:11
i might get myself down, if i'm not working, what would be the easiest way from up north i.e. car, train ?

MCRU
24-02-2011, 20:27
Train matey, I am going to Bristol on the train, you snobs will not be attending as its too mainstream for ya I suppose???

chris@panteg
24-02-2011, 20:33
Hi David

How's it going with the 309 and stuff ?

Rare Bird
24-02-2011, 20:33
i might get myself down, if i'm not working, what would be the easiest way from up north i.e. car, train ?

Mike on the choo choo you got 2/3 changes depending which time train you get, change at Doncaster etc

Elvis's last movement
27-02-2011, 18:55
Is there room for one more at Scalford?

I'd love to attend.....

Beechwoods
27-02-2011, 19:06
Loads more! Tickets are available on the day. The more the merrier!

alfie2902
27-02-2011, 19:20
Is there room for one more at Scalford?

I'd love to attend.....

It's open to the public http://www.thehifishow.com/ unless you're asking if there's still room in one of the booked AoS rooms.

On the show website linked above there's interactive floor plans that are very good. They list who's exhibiting & a little info on their system :eyebrows: just mouse over the room!

There's some great prizes in the raffle! For just £1 a ticket you could walk away with an whole system! (All the prizes are donated & most being 2nd hand but some very nice stuff):eyebrows:

Here's the prizes!

1. System 1: Thorens TD 160 Turntable, TEAC VRDS 7 CD, Denon DRA 455 Amp (+ remote), Nakamichi BX-125E Cassette Deck, Revolver 250 Floorstanding Speakers, Target 3 Tier Rack, Transparent the Wave 200n speaker cable plus various Interconnects.
2. System 2: Thorens TD 155 Turntable, Sony XA20ES CD (+ remote) , Trio KA4002 Amp, cambridge Audio MM/MC Phono Stage, Celestion Ditton 15 XR Speakers, Attacama sand filled Speaker Stands, Target 3 Tier Rack + Speaker cable + interconnects.
3. System 3: RANK BA4000 Turntable, TEAC PD H300 CD, Amp tbc, Partington 4 tier rack, Kenwood mini disc (fires up but no mini discs to test), Royd Ackroyd Coniston R Speakers + Linn Kan Speaker stands.
4. SD Accoustic SD1 Speakers.(mids need a re-fpam)
5. Sonority Design Ltd will make to measure one of their isolation roller supports for your equipment (not speakers).
6. Surround Sound System: Sony cinema amp , 4 x sattelte ' s 1 x centre , 1 x active Sony sub , 4 x glass and silver sat speaker stands .
7. Family car routine service at Papa Lazarous� Garage - Bletchely, Bucks,No Ferari or 4x4s!.
8. Sterling SCL-01B 2.5m Speaker Cable, spade terminated BNIB.
9. Sterling SCL-01B 2.5m Speaker Cable, spade terminated BNIB.
10. Silclear Silver Contact Enhancer, tbc.
11. Eltax Symphony 6 floor standing speakers.
12. A WIGWAM T Shirt.
13. A Slazenger PROAC T Shirt.
14. A Slazenger PROAC T Shirt.
15. 4 x BNIB Cds
16. JPW mini monitors with matching passive sub.
17. Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 Speakers (Nearly new)
18. TDL Speakers (small), tbc.
19. A Melton Mowbray Pork Pie (must be collected at Scalford or I will eat it)
20. New FM Ariel

Tickets have been on sale for a while there's a thread over on the Wam.
They also will be on sale on the day (morning anyway)

I'll be there helping out in the Somerby room when needed, but mostly checking out all the systems, well as many as I can almost 50 this year!

This is a great show! Alot better than the industry ones IMO & If you can make it you really should! The last two years have been superb & I think this year will build on this & be even better!

Hope to see some of you there!

Beechwoods
27-02-2011, 19:25
Excellent prizes. Me likey!

Marco
01-03-2011, 09:01
Excellent stuff, Alfie!

Could I also take this opportunity to ask everyone attending the show, and planning to come to our room, to bring some CDs with them (of music they're familiar with)?

We'll have plenty of stuff of our own, but it's always best to judge things with your own music. Whatever it is, no matter how bizarre or obscure, we want to hear YOUR fav choons! Discovering interesting new music is part of the exercise.

And if anyone doesn't like the music we're playing, or it's too loud (or not loud enough!) please speak to a member of the AoS team (Nick, John or myself - we'll have badges on) and ask us to turn it up or down a bit, or play one of your CDs instead. Don't feel awkward about asking, as we're there to please!

No excuses will be accepted this time for music being "too loud" or not to your taste - so speak up or forever hold your peace ;)

Anyway, the show is not just about us having a good time, but also YOU. We're there to entertain people attending the show, as well as enjoying ourselves, so don't be shy to make any requests or suggestions, h'okay-dokes? :)

This also applies to non-AOS members attending who may be reading this thread. Everyone will be made most welcome in our room.

Churz! :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
01-03-2011, 09:11
Speakers &/or Room share - needed!!

Sadly, due to family health issues, Steve / twelvebears is unable to attend the Show. :(

"The Plan" had been for me to share an exhibition room with him, with Steve supplying his Wilson Benesch ACT speakers and NAD M2 amp.

So - I am without a swishy pair of speakers for my dem room.
I now intend to bring along my standmount Usher X-719 speakers .... but something even more interesting would be most welcome!

Would anyone care to loan me some interesting speakers for all or part of the day? Or even do a room-share with me? - you supply some interesting speakers, I can happily supply Wadia cdp, UR Unico amp and Pioneer/Dynavector tt setup. Or you can bring along more of your kit to show off! :)

If someone wants to room-share, I am sure we can both have time off to explore the Show, while the other is looking after the room!

The room is Syndicate 20 on the 2nd floor. Nice room, actually - Roy / oldfogey and I were in there last year.

Ta ever so. :)

Marco
01-03-2011, 09:34
Good luck, Jerry - I'm sure someone will be able to help :)

Marco.

flatpopely
01-03-2011, 23:29
I might be able to offer some Celestion 44s. Need to check them out. Will post tomorrow night if they still live! Cabinets are MINT.

jandl100
01-03-2011, 23:38
I might be able to offer some Celestion 44s. Need to check them out. Will post tomorrow night if they still live! Cabinets are MINT.

Cor, thanks Andrew.

But only if it's easy for you to bring them .... some other kind forum members have also offered speakers - but I'd love to add the C44's to the roster! .... but not essential anymore. :)

flatpopely
01-03-2011, 23:42
I'll check Jerry.

Transport not an issue I just need to get them out of my dads loft!

I dont have stands though.

Regards.

greenhomeelectronics
01-03-2011, 23:46
Wish I could make it but family commitments dictate otherwise. We have given a couple of bits to be used as prizes though:)
Dave

Alex_UK
01-03-2011, 23:48
What with Marco's 66's as well this could turn into Celest Fest! ;) (Not complaining, it would be great to hear the two different sets of Dittons and see how the implementation in each system differs.)

jandl100
01-03-2011, 23:51
I'll check Jerry.

Transport not an issue I just need to get them out of my dads loft!

I dont have stands though.

Regards.

Fabulous!

I'll supply the stands.

I already have been offered some Jim Rogers JR150 and (this will make Marco chortle ;)) some Tannoy 12" Monitor Golds in Lancaster cabs!

Mine should be a great room for vintage Brit speakers!! :eek:
Syndicate 20 on the 2nd floor - come along and be amazed!

Marco
01-03-2011, 23:53
I'd be up for that. Jerry and I could swap speakers at 'half time' on Sunday, for a giggle, and see what happens... ;)

Are 44s smaller or bigger than 66s?

Marco.

jandl100
01-03-2011, 23:56
I'd be up for that. Jerry and I could swap speakers at 'half time' on Sunday, for a giggle, and see what happens... ;)

Are 44s smaller or bigger than 66s?

Marco.

Smaller, Marco, smaller ... do you know nothing about hifi? :eyebrows:

Yeah - a swap would be great! :)
... I'll have my Mini-T amp on hand, so no problems!

Marco
01-03-2011, 23:58
and (this will make Marco chortle ;)) some Tannoy 12" Monitor Golds in Lancaster cabs!

Oooh....your all time favourites! Who ever said you weren't a martyr to the cause!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

jandl100
02-03-2011, 00:01
Oooh....your all time favourites! Who ever said you weren't a martyr to the cause!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Werll .... I'm famed for my open mind. :)

Actually - I'm really looking forward to giving the Tannoys a blast! :eek:
It should all be great fun. :lolsign:

Marco
02-03-2011, 00:02
Smaller, Marco, smaller ... do you know nothing about hifi?

No, haven't you guessed by now that I'm a total novice? I just talk a good game (sometimes)! :eyebrows:

Yeah - a swap would be great! :)
... I'll have my Mini-T amp on hand, so no problems!

Ok, we should do that, then - should be a giggle! :flasher:

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-03-2011, 00:35
'44's are the next best thing to '66' imho.. i personally like the '33's tho

Marco
02-03-2011, 00:45
Smaller again, I presume? :)

I think I'll just have to buy a pair of each and have a complete little family of Celests :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-03-2011, 03:09
'33' uses the same 'HD1000' tweeter that you have in the '15XR'..
10'' Bass unit/5'' Mid.. Quite large around 2ft tall

flatpopely
02-03-2011, 09:08
Hi Jerry.

Sorry to say that they wont fit in my car! (not with three blokes as well).

Still its got them out of the loft and I'll compare them to my ES14s............

Regards.

Marco
02-03-2011, 10:07
'33' uses the same 'HD1000' tweeter that you have in the '15XR'..
10'' Bass unit/5'' Mid.. Quite large around 2ft tall

Nice! Why don't they make proper speakers like that anymore? We seem to have lost the plot in many ways with how loudspeakers are designed today..... :rolleyes:

I'm sure this fact will come crashing home to Alex UK when he fires up his SP1s!

Going back to the Celests, and as good as the 33's no doubt are, there's something about the ABR-equipped models I love, though: a 'meaty and rhythmic chunkiness' (without flab) which seems to underpin music in a way you don't quite get with the non-ABR models, know what I mean? :)

The Who said it best: "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy"... *That* is the 66's to tee, coupled with their wonderful openness and musically communicative qualities higher up the freqency range.

It's one thing which has shocked and stunned me with the 66's: just how 'big' they sound for what are, to all intents and purposes, not overly large speakers, certainly in terms of cabinet size, height aside, compared to something like my Lockwoods. There's real 'heft' and slam in the bass, and scale, which you just don't get with rather 'frigid & insipid' sounding modern floor-standers of a similar physical size and internal volume.

Marco.

Welder
02-03-2011, 10:14
Cant beat an ABR in a sealed box design Marco ;)

Marco
02-03-2011, 10:30
Yup, John, it just seems to work :)

Don't get me wrong, though, the Celests aren't perfect - far from it, as no speaker is, but goodness me did Celestion get the balance of compromises right all those years ago and successfully design a wonderfully musical sounding pair of loudspeakers (certainly to my ears)!

I'm sure that the 33s and 44s share similar traits, as indeed do my 15XRs.

I'd love to walk into, say, Focal headquarters in France (whose speakers to me sound superb in a 'hi-fi' sense, ticking all the boxes there, but are painfully lacking in 'musicality', for want of a better word) with a pair of 66s under my arm (if indeed that were possible!) and say "Bonjour monsieur, listen to how these babies are voiced compared to the speakers you make, and tell me what you think you're doing wrong!"

Do you think they would 'get' it? ;)

Of course, I'd likely be swiftly poked in the eye with a large saucisson and told to 'va te faire foutre!' - but it would nevertheless be an amusing exercise.... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Welder
02-03-2011, 10:40
I think you might rather like my speakers. Even if you didn’t I’m sure you would appreciate why I’ve persevered with them for 30 odd years ;)
But, as you say, no speaker is perfect. I would love to hear the 66’s.

Fancy this instead of your Tannoy’s?
http://www.first-av.co.uk/rvcxd3153-volt-12in-400w-radial-coaxial-chassis-6768-0.html
;)

Marco
02-03-2011, 10:57
Looks like an interesting design, John.

I'd love to have the skill to build my own speakers to the highest standard because that is, as it is with electronics, the route to achieving the highest SPPV - and in turn, long-term system satisfaction.

But I'm a listener, not a builder, so I'm afraid that judiciously selecting the best commercial vintage designs, and tweaking them if necessary with modern components, is the closest I'll ever get to DIY audio nirvana :)

Marco.

jandl100
02-03-2011, 11:17
Hi Jerry.

Sorry to say that they wont fit in my car! (not with three blokes as well).

Regards.

Damn. :( ... but many thanks for trying. You could always leave one of the blokes behind! :)

I'll have to make do with my own Usher X719 and the loaner JR150 & Tannoys.
Should still be fab! :eek:

Marco
02-03-2011, 11:20
Oh, I'm sure you'll 'soldier on' somehow, Jerry! :eyebrows:

Hey, we could always do a Celestion/Tannoy swap sometime during the day, as I've not heard a pair of Lancasters with 12" Monitor Golds, and it would be interesting to assess what they did on the end of equipment I'm familiar with :)

Marco.

jandl100
02-03-2011, 12:23
Hey, we could always do a Celestion/Tannoy swap sometime during the day, as I've not heard a pair of Lancasters with 12" Monitor Golds, and it would be interesting to assess what they did on the end of equipment I'm familiar with :)

Marco.

OK! - I'll clear that with the Tannoys' owner, but I'm sure there won't be a problem. :)

Marco
02-03-2011, 12:43
Nice one, dude. If he's ok with it, we can agree a time for the swap-over :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-03-2011, 12:58
Going back to the Celests, and as good as the 33's no doubt are, there's something about the ABR-equipped models I love, though: a 'meaty and rhythmic chunkiness' (without flab) which seems to underpin music in a way you don't quite get with the non-ABR models, know what I mean? :)

The '44's didnt have ABR but the '44 SII' did, it was around the back like the '66SII'..Ditton '25', 'UL6/8' around this era had ABR's & as you know the '15/15XR & older Ditton '120' too.

I love ABR they get me all excited for some reason :eyebrows:

Reid Malenfant
02-03-2011, 14:39

It's one thing which has shocked and stunned me with the 66's: just how 'big' they sound for what are, to all intents and purposes, not overly large speakers, certainly in terms of cabinet size, height aside, compared to something like my Lockwoods. There's real 'heft' and slam in the bass, and scale, which you just don't get with rather 'frigid & insipid' sounding modern floor-standers of a similar physical size and internal volume.

Marco.
I'm constantly surprised why ABRs aren't used on more speaker rather than reflex ports :scratch: Admittedly they are marginally more difficult to design & they do tend to have a slightly steeper rolloff below the tuning frequency, but they also have big advantages. No port noise :eyebrows:

Cant beat an ABR in a sealed box design Marco ;)
Well implemented i'm in total agreement :)

I'd love to have the skill to build my own speakers to the highest standard because that is, as it is with electronics, the route to achieving the highest SPPV - and in turn, long-term system satisfaction.
I'm not sure you would Marco, take it from me that once you get the bug you are nearly forever thinking - What if? :D You are 100% right about the sense of satisfaction you get though, there is a greater sense of pride in ownership of a one off system as well :)

I love ABR they get me all excited for some reason :eyebrows:
I'd better not show you these 4 Exodus Audio PR15s i have here that i imported from USA or you'd have kittens :lolsign: Ah why not (http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/PR15.pdf) :eyebrows:

It bugs me why i had to import from America but there just don't appear to be any decent sized ABRs available in Europe. About the largest is 10" which is really only good for an 8" driver (depending on the woofers stroke)..

Only the US seem to cater for this market, a damn shame really :(

vinylspinner
02-03-2011, 17:55
Hi Guys,

Any one in the M4 Swindon/Devizes area want to share fuel cost to the show on Sunday?

I have a medium sized van, so carrying gear would not be a problem.

I will prob. drive up the Fosseway via Rugby etc.. there may be a better route available to suit another direction / pickup.

pm me if interested.

Nigel

Marco
02-03-2011, 21:41
Lol - I'm wiv ya, Mark.

Another vintage speaker I like the look of is the original KEF 104. There's an interesting article in the vintage section of last month's HFN. I suspect they'd be right up my street!

Anyone here have any experience of them - how about you, Andre? :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-03-2011, 21:45
Yes '104AB'

Marco
02-03-2011, 22:11
Did you likely or not? :)

They appear to contain all the right ingredients.

Marco.

Rare Bird
02-03-2011, 23:18
Aye great speakers..looks like you got a bit of an ABR fettish :eyebrows:

What about a nice pair of RAM '150'/'200's to boost your fettish ?

Marco
02-03-2011, 23:41
Lol - it seems that I have, although perhaps somewhat indirectly!

What 'does it for me' with these types of vintage speakers, and the Celestions we've been discussing, is the quality engineering from the ground up, with everything built-in house, from the cabinets to the crossovers and (superb quality) drive units, the all-British manufacturing, BBC pedigree, the fine-tuning by ear (not bloody computers) by people who knew how music was supposed to sound, and finally the sexy retro looks!

Will that do for ya? :eyebrows:

Sadly, much of that is gone now in today's loudspeaker design and manufacturing, certainly in the UK, so in that respect I'm wiv ya - let's all go back to living in 1973! :peace:

Here's a nice loving close-up of the Kefs in question:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/6562/25982075.png (http://img232.imageshack.us/i/25982075.png/)

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9508/dsc01072x.jpg (http://img339.imageshack.us/i/dsc01072x.jpg/)

Marco.

lurcher
03-03-2011, 01:24
Hopefully Marco you will get a chance to hear the pair of LS5/8 with BBC Quad amps that I believe will be there at the weekend. I heard them at the NVA organized show, and was gobsmacked just how good it all was.

Marco
03-03-2011, 01:30
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the heads-up - sounds very interesting. Any idea who they belonged to? :)

Marco.

lurcher
03-03-2011, 01:45
Post #37 this thread.

Marco
03-03-2011, 01:50
Ah, Stewart's system! I was planing to target his room, anyway, as I want to hear his Nagra tape machines... I'll defo make sure I go now :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 09:39
Lol - it seems that I have, although perhaps somewhat indirectly!

What 'does it for me' with these types of vintage speakers, and the Celestions we've been discussing, is the quality engineering from the ground up, with everything built-in house, from the cabinets to the crossovers and (superb quality) drive units, the all-British manufacturing, BBC pedigree, the fine-tuning by ear (not bloody computers) by people who knew how music was supposed to sound, and finally the sexy retro looks!

Will that do for ya? :eyebrows:

Not mega old but what about a pair of Monitor Audio 'R152' ?..Even Tannoy were it it with the 'T185'/'T225', Goodmans with the 'Achromat: Sigma'...I'm trying to remember back with Castle Acoustics, i think it was the 'Dover' that was an ABR model??.. Celeste did a later version of your '15XR' the 'SP15' (can't find a pic of these or the Castle 'Dover')

Marco
03-03-2011, 09:42
Stop it, stop it - you're giving me a stiffy! :o

:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Of the three, looks wise, I like the Sigmas best :)

What do you reckon were the best performers?

Marco.

anthonyTD
03-03-2011, 10:19
hi all,
I also had a pair of 104/AB's with original spare 104 cross overs,so had experience of both [if you know what i mean] Anyway, i agree, they were great speakers, With a very natural bass characteristic that seems to be lacking with most other types of speakers.The pair i had were mint and to be honest i wish i still had them to compare with what i have had since,hey ho.:(
Anthony,TD...

Marco
03-03-2011, 10:37
Nice one, mate. I didn't know you'd had a pair of those :)

If it were possible, it would be an interesting exercise for everyone to return to the gear they used to use (the good stuff, not the shite), to see if what they were using now was genuinely better in all aspects, and indeed if real progress, sonically, had been made in their systems, or not.....

In your case, I don't doubt that, but for some others, they might get a shock, especially as we're conditioned by the hi-fi media to automatically believe that the 'latest and greatest' new equipment is ALWAYS best, when in my experience that's far from being the case! :rolleyes:

I suspect that some people, particularly those susceptible to marketing hype, may find that they've gone more backwards than forwards!

In terms of speakers, and the KEFs you mention, it would also be a useful (and likely sobering exercise) to compare them with modern speakers of a similar size and internal volume, and hear just how differently speakers in general are voiced these days, and identify what sort of 'shift', in a musical presentation sense, has taken place with loudspeakers in the last, say, 30 years.

For that reason alone, I think one should always have a pair of quality vintage speakers as a reference, which of course you have, with your excellent SP1s :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 11:03
Of the three, looks wise, I like the Sigmas best :)

What do you reckon were the best performers?

I'd deffo go for the Tannoy 'T185: Dorsets', 'T225: Mayfair', i'm not a fan of Tannoy with exception to these two models.

Marco
03-03-2011, 11:05
Cool. I'll bear that in mind if I see any and want to add to my collection - Del says "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo......." :doh: :mental: :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 12:04
Don't worry dude women can't say no to a good 10'' driver :lolsign:

I let you know if i see a pair (after i've bought them that is) :D

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 13:39
:lolsign: Some woman are just so greedy :D

freefallrob
03-03-2011, 13:54
See you all there!

Room Syndicate 19:eyebrows:

Welder
03-03-2011, 14:01
Sort of wish I was going to this now but its just not possible this year :(
Shame twelvebears isn’t able to go with his NADM2 and Andre isn’t going either. Might have been worth going just to see if Andre is actually as barking as he comes across on the forums :lolsign:
Also haven’t heard the 66’s which I am interested in hearing.
Oh well, next time maybe. Something nearer the South West so it’s a practical proposition to go for the day rather than having to stay away would help.

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 14:16
Shame you aren't going John, you could have helped me swap over my 66s with Marcos when he wasn't looking :D

Marco
03-03-2011, 14:24
Ha - well they'd be light enough to whisk away, as the enclosures apparently are "cack"!!! :lol: :lol: :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

P.S Rob, make sure you pop by the AoS room and say 'Helloooooo' to all the dafties....

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 14:28
:lol: Well mine are that's for sure, they look like they have been attacked by a hungry beaver :eyebrows:

Marco
03-03-2011, 14:31
That's merely, my boy, what's known in the business as 'distressed'..... ;)

Give them a wee rub with some sandpaper, and you'll be fine! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Bazil
03-03-2011, 18:51
Excuse me if its shown somewhere else but what is the AOS set-up.
I've noted the Celestrion 66's, and what room?

Marco
03-03-2011, 19:31
Hi Baz,

All is revealed on the spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmTl0-Cs6yo5dDdZRWRzSUozS1lIQTZwSWl5UnB3LWc&hl=en_GB&authkey=CJmwk_QO#gid=0

See entry No 30 for our system. We're on the first floor in Syndicate 5... Are you coming? :)

Marco.

Bazil
03-03-2011, 20:21
Hi Baz,

All is revealed on the spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmTl0-Cs6yo5dDdZRWRzSUozS1lIQTZwSWl5UnB3LWc&hl=en_GB&authkey=CJmwk_QO#gid=0

See entry No 30 for our system. We're on the first floor in Syndicate 5... Are you coming? :)

Marco.

Pretty sure I am

Marco
03-03-2011, 20:26
Cool. Be good to see ya, so say hello :)

Marco.

Bazil
03-03-2011, 21:15
I'll be the one with the Edgar Broughton Band box set :lol:

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 21:22
Cool. Be good to see ya, so say hello :)

Marco.
Hi Marco, a thought just occured to me (oh dear :eyebrows:) There are a good few AoS members going to Scalford & the chances are they may well not meet each other, though they could do given timing ;)

Why not have, or at least suggest that all AoS members that would like to meet up with each other meet up in the AoS room at a certain time. Not hard to do & here is the forum...

Just a thought :cool:

Bazil
03-03-2011, 21:29
Hi Marco, a thought just occured to me (oh dear :eyebrows:) There are a good few AoS members going to Scalford & the chances are they may well not meet each other, though they could do given timing ;)

Why not have, or at least suggest that all AoS members that would like to meet up with each other meet up in the AoS room at a certain time. Not hard to do & here is the forum...

Just a thought :cool:

Excellent idea

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 21:35
make your own name tags

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 21:38
make your own name tags
Now that's retro Andr'e :) Good idea though :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
03-03-2011, 21:46
make your own name tags

Yes, good idea - but we should also arrange a time when the AoS crew invade the AoS room and wrestle Marco into the bar to buy the beers as he promised! ;)

Or, maybe we just all meet in the bar at a certain time, sporting our name badges attached at a jaunty angle to our pinafores or twin-sets??? :eyebrows:

Marco
03-03-2011, 21:52
Whatever you guys suggest :)

Probably best to meet in the AoS room at a specified time, as I might be busy :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
03-03-2011, 21:55
High Noon in the AoS room, then? Most people will be there at midday I would suspect?

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 21:56
I'd suggest between 12 & 1PM but i don't even know what time i'm getting there - Alex? :scratch: Hope that suits, Marco could narrow it down following input on here i reckon :)

I hope you have sat nav chap, finding my house will be a pita otherwise :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
03-03-2011, 21:59
I'd suggest between 12 & 1PM but i don't even know what time i'm getting there - Alex? :scratch: Hope that suits, Marco could narrow it down following input on here i reckon :)

I hope you have sat nav chap, finding my house will be a pita otherwise :eyebrows:

Actually - good point - what time does it all kick off & finish?

(Mark - I'll PM you re. the arrangements in a little bit.)

Marco
03-03-2011, 22:02
Doors open on Sunday at 10am, I think, and it usually wraps up at 5pm.

I'd suggest midday in the AoS room. If people want to hear the Celestions before I swap with Jerry for his Tannoy Lancasters, then it's best to meet up sooner rather than later :)

For those who haven't seen pics of the system we used last year:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4239/dsc0008mnp.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/dsc0008mnp.jpg/)

The Copper amp (with some further mods since then), Techy (with quite a few mods since last year) and the Croft preamp (ditto) will all be featured in this year's system. QS Ref acrylic stands (and Mana) will also be used.

Marco.

Bazil
03-03-2011, 22:07
Did you show different movies on the TV's and were the speakers wall mounted coz I can't see 'em :eyebrows:

Marco
03-03-2011, 22:12
You can't see the image? That's weird.... :scratch:

Marco.

Jonboy
03-03-2011, 22:31
High Noon sounds good, last year my sat nav took me through some fields just outside Scalford Hall that had signs warning of mine shafts or something, we even had to get out and open and shut gates to continue on the road, but it got us there eventually

Rare Bird
For those who haven't seen pics of the system we used last year:

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4239/dsc0008mnp.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/dsc0008mnp.jpg/)

Whats that funny looking turntable :lolsign:

Marco
Look forward to seeing you again Jon - should be a giggle! :cool:

Marco.

Ian Walker
03-03-2011, 22:34
Did you show different movies on the TV's and were the speakers wall mounted coz I can't see 'em :eyebrows:

Theyre not TV's,theyre his rabbit hutches:lol:

Jonboy
03-03-2011, 22:36
Look forward to seeing you again Jon - should be a giggle! :cool:

Marco.

And please be gentle with me this time

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 22:37
is that you jon?

Jonboy
03-03-2011, 22:40
is that you jon?

How very dare you, i'm better looking than him, maybe a bit fatter though, he does look a little like me though spooky

Edit, you won't find me sitting a room full of Naim either

Marco
03-03-2011, 22:43
And please be gentle with me this time

Oh I will dahling, especially when the others have gone... :kiss: :eyebrows:

Marco.

Marco
03-03-2011, 22:45
Theyre not TV's,theyre his rabbit hutches:lol:

Did Baz think the Lockwoods were TVs? Love it! :lol:

Marco.

Alex_UK
03-03-2011, 22:47
High Noon sounds good, last year my sat nav took me through some fields just outside Scalford Hall that had signs warning of mine shafts or something, we even had to get out and open and shut gates to continue on the road, but it got us there eventually

Oh that sounds fun - Mark, I might be a bit later, better bring the Land Rover! ;)

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 23:14
How very dare you, i'm better looking than him, maybe a bit fatter though, he does look a little like me though spooky

Edit, you won't find me sitting a room full of Naim either

Thats what i thought really but he does look like you

Rare Bird
03-03-2011, 23:15
Don't forget your ID badges

Reid Malenfant
03-03-2011, 23:16
Oh that sounds fun - Mark, I might be a bit later, better bring the Land Rover! ;)
:D We'll get there in the end :)

Alex_UK
03-03-2011, 23:19

I thought you weren't coming now? Go on - you know you want to! (If not, can you post me your badge and some Tippex - top work! ;))

technobear
04-03-2011, 09:44

:lol:

If you're coming in on the Nottingham Rd (A606), you need to drive all the way to the lights in Melton (A607) and then turn left and left again. Ignore any exhortations from SatNavs to do otherwise or you will get stuck.

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=melton+mowbray&aq=&sll=51.147359,-2.717781&sspn=0.171222,0.340919&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Melton+Mowbray,+Leicestershire,+United+Kingd om&ll=52.769695,-0.889893&spn=0.020642,0.042615&z=15)

Beechwoods
04-03-2011, 16:42

That's very cool Andr'e!

Jac Hawk
04-03-2011, 20:00
Well i've just found out this afternoon that i've pulled a Saturday shift at work :steam: just my bloody luck so i won't be attending (i was really looking forward to meeting you guys too) Anyway i hope you all get there and back in one piece, you have a great time and none of your gear goes wrong.

I'll make sure next year to book some holidays.

Reid Malenfant
04-03-2011, 20:02
Mike, the show is on Sunday not Saturday :) Does that make a difference? Perhaps i'm missing something :scratch:

Jac Hawk
04-03-2011, 20:09
Mike, the show is on Sunday not Saturday :) Does that make a difference? Perhaps i'm missing something :scratch:

well i was planning on going down for the weekend, set off in the car 9ish Saturday morning, spend the night, and drive back sunday night, but after a late shift on Saturday, i don't fancy a 5 or 6 hour round trip drive on Sunday, as i have an early start Monday morning. :( bloody work gets in the way of a good time every time.

Reid Malenfant
04-03-2011, 20:17
Ah, gotcha Mike, now i understand. Bloody shame though m8 :(

Rare Bird
04-03-2011, 20:21
Takes as long in the car from Durham as it does on the Train Sunday.. :eyebrows:

Jac Hawk
04-03-2011, 20:28
Takes as long in the car from Durham as it does on the Train Sunday.. :eyebrows:

Yes true but then i need a Taxi to the event, plus the cost of a return train ticket is pure extorsion:eek:

Jac Hawk
05-03-2011, 00:51
But you were prepared to pay for lodgings! I can't stick laim excuses..

i was gonna kill 2 birds and stay will rellies while down there :eyebrows:

Jonboy
05-03-2011, 08:27
To be honest i was really gonna go Sunday but after tonight happening via PM f*ck it

Jon answer you PM before i dissapear

Some of us have work and i some need sleep :)

I have now

Reid Malenfant
05-03-2011, 21:00
Well see you all at Scalford tomorrow :)

Just look for the bloke that is "lost" & you'll know it's me :D Well not unless another is in the same black T shirt :)

DSJR
06-03-2011, 10:34
Have fun guys and maybe see you next year :)

baron
06-03-2011, 18:28
I've just got back from a great show, very busy great sounds everyone seems to be enjoying their selves. I've put some photos up here

https://picasaweb.google.com/philip.baronius/PieFiShow?authkey=Gv1sRgCK_T48CQubnJswE#

I also have a video of the AOS room.I will upload it later if I can work out how.

keiths
06-03-2011, 18:49
Great photos, Philip.

Really makes me wish I could have gone. Hopefully next year.

Reid Malenfant
06-03-2011, 19:01
Yep, cracking show :) Not long got in myself :eyebrows:

baron
06-03-2011, 19:07
Great photos, Philip.

Really makes me wish I could have gone. Hopefully next year.

Thanks Keith

Jac Hawk
06-03-2011, 19:28
Great pics philip, next year i'll make sure i have the weekend off.

Reid Malenfant
06-03-2011, 19:33
Oh yes, very nice pictures Philip :) I'm pretty sure i now realise i recognised you but couldn't place the face, of course it was your pics on here :eyebrows:

I think myself & Alex UK managed to visit just about every room but might have missed a couple, it's like a rabbit warren at that place :eek: I took pics in each & every room i went in though so i'll see about sorting them out at some stage shortly :)

baron
06-03-2011, 19:41
it's like a rabbit warren at that place :eek:)

Yes it is, its the third time I've been and I still can't find my way around:)

MCRU
06-03-2011, 19:41
Wish I could have gone, the pics look great, this is the best one for me, shows a truly awesome TT....

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/DSC_0879.jpg

Reid Malenfant
06-03-2011, 19:44
Yes it is, its the third time I've been and I still can't find my way around:)
I reckon that's why i missed a couple of rooms :D Honestly it was very confusing until you understood the basic layout, it'd have been a nightmare without the supplied guide :mental:

OMG, i took 165 pictures, give me a few days to sort them all out :eek:

halvis
06-03-2011, 19:48
This looks an interesting setup. What were the speakers and how did it sound??

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_6e-Zg5XRr5U/TXPMUnn_yII/AAAAAAAAKHw/zWZvqy6-C80/s720/DSC_0848.JPG

Great pics btw, thanks for sharing.

Bazil
06-03-2011, 19:48
Marco - sorry I never spoke to you, went in twice you weren't there the first time and later it was full.
You must be well pleased with your speakers, great sound, could of stayed in there all afternoon.
The reel to reel :eek: excellent

baron
06-03-2011, 19:58

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_6e-Zg5XRr5U/TXPMUnn_yII/AAAAAAAAKHw/zWZvqy6-C80/s720/DSC_0848.JPG

I believe the speakers were Leak 2705's. It sounded like very good quality 1970's Hi-Fi :)

keiths
06-03-2011, 20:02
Wish I could have gone, the pics look great, this is the best one for me, shows a truly awesome TT....

Turntable looks great, but it's a shame some bird's left her make-up brush lying around making the place look untidy. :eyebrows:

MCRU
06-03-2011, 20:04
:laugh:

baron
06-03-2011, 20:07

Yes it sounded great, it was in the Art of Sound room, along with Marco's great sounding Ditton 66 Studio Monitors , and Nick's (Beechwoods) Nagra reel to reel

MCRU
06-03-2011, 20:10
Quite proud that I can see 3 of my items in the picture, any guesses as to what they are apart from Del's make up brush so that leaves 2!

John
06-03-2011, 20:15
Great to meet a few people It was great fun really nice vibe

baron
06-03-2011, 20:26

It was nice to meet you John

keiths
06-03-2011, 20:35
Quite proud that I can see 3 of my items in the picture, any guesses as to what they are apart from Del's make up brush so that leaves 2!

I'm assuming the Oyaide and Blue Horizon mats - though I wouldn't really say you can see them :)

MCRU
06-03-2011, 20:37
I'm assuming the Oyaide and Blue Horizon mats - though I wouldn't really say you can see them :)

no keep guessing.....:ner:

Reid Malenfant
06-03-2011, 20:38
Yes, great description, the whole place was buzzing in all honesty :eyebrows: Good to meet you John :)

John
06-03-2011, 20:49
Yesterday a lot of people were having in pronto listening sessions lots of good banter

Tweedle-Dee
06-03-2011, 20:58
Thanks for the photos - great stuff.

Anyone listen to that full-spec Cambridge Audio CD1?

Cheers,
TD

baron
06-03-2011, 21:06
I've just got back from a great show, very busy great sounds everyone seems to be enjoying their selves. I've put some photos up here

https://picasaweb.google.com/philip.baronius/PieFiShow?authkey=Gv1sRgCK_T48CQubnJswE#

I also have a video of the AOS room.I will upload it later if I can work out how.

I worked out how to do it, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRLunWK_bE

MCRU
06-03-2011, 21:15
Nice one mate, who was the guy who got up to leave as soon as the music started?

BTH K10A
06-03-2011, 21:21

That CD1 is a bit of kit I've always coveted. :smoking:

I would have liked to have heard how it measures up to modern players. When I first listened to one it was streets ahead of anything else, even the MCD.

Alex_UK
06-03-2011, 21:34
Will post more later, (just having my dinner) but just wanted to say what a fab day out, and really good to meet a few more AoS'ers.

SPS
06-03-2011, 21:47
i've been feeling depressed all day... i missed out due to the daughters dance show....

looks like a dam good time was had..

cheers

stev

Rare Bird
06-03-2011, 22:10

I would have liked to have heard how it measures up to modern players. When I first listened to one it was streets ahead of anything else, even the MCD.

Brilliant machines

chris@panteg
06-03-2011, 22:16

Looks like Adam did himself proud with this set up , looks a great system and that monster Techie 2 box cassette deck looks a serious bit of kit , loving the TT's too , and those Leak's:)

DSJR
06-03-2011, 22:39
You mean the Cambridge CD1 actually WORKED, and for some hours too????? - YIKES!!!!!
The bloody rats nest of wires inside and myriad RS transformers was not a joy to behold I can tell you.

I shall reserve comment on the Leak 2075's Adam spent so long restoring. I'd rather have some vintage IMF's any day - or Spendor BC3's, or Monitor Audio MA3's - ok ok, I'm spoiling it ;)

I shall attempt to get out of my lazy bed next year if such a show is repeated. I spent all afternoon playing with yet another Technics SL1500 and this one seems different in motor-feel/overshoot to the one Alex has (which has no overshoot). Better or worse I cannot say without more research.

Glad you all had a great time :)

Reid Malenfant
06-03-2011, 22:46
Sorted out the duff pictures & i'm left with 153 :eyebrows:

I'll attempt to get them through Picasa & uploaded to a photo hosting site as soon as i can :doh:

Meanwhile :cool:

Alex_UK
06-03-2011, 22:47
You mean the Cambridge CD1 actually WORKED, and for some hours too????? - YIKES!!!!!

It certainly did! Unlike the poor Technics Cassette deck which had sadly decided to get stage fright... :(

(The "error meter" (for want of its real name) on the CD1 was quite disturbing though!)

I shall attempt to get out of my lazy bed next year if such a show is repeated.

I don't think we'll let you get away with missing it again next year Dave - I've reserved you seat in the car already! ;)

Marco
06-03-2011, 22:52
Hi guys,

Just a quick one, as I'm not long in and totally shattered.... Great to meet some you today for the first time, such as Mark (Reid Malenfant) Alex UK, Andrew (Flatpopely), etc, as well as meeting again Mark (YNWAN), Jonboy, Steve Toy, Alfie, Guy Sergeant, Nick Gorham, Tony L (from pfm), Adam (Beobloke), Philip (Baron), Chris (Tecnobear), amongst others, and of course members of the mod team such a Nick and John :)

Special thanks go to Steve Toy for loaning us the use of his superb Eikos CDP, AW mains block and QS Ref acrylic stands, without which our system would'nt have been the same.

Anyway, hope you guy enjoyed the system - we certainly listened to plenty of choons and had a few giggles... :cool:

Off to catch up on some sleep now - only got four hours last night! :goodnight:

Laters,
Marco.

Techno Commander
06-03-2011, 23:01
Looks like a lot of fun and some excellent pictures. Look forward to seeing the rest. :)

DSJR
06-03-2011, 23:06
Did the Ditton 66's survive? I did fear for them somewhat.........

As for me for the future - http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/a7df5081.jpg

Rare Bird
06-03-2011, 23:23

that machine was revised: wiring & power supply..I never understand why people always give these old machnes an hard time. That 'CD-1' would see off many a modern machine, which i'm sure plenty that auditioned it would admit, as would the rebuilt & NOS'd Mission 'DAD7000R' i have.I used to have a 'CD-1' but never had the error counter unit..i never had a single bit of trouble with it like i do many modern machines

technobear
06-03-2011, 23:39
It was nice to see so many happy smiling faces in my room today. I was a bit worried being out on a limb but in fact the room had visitors from 09:30 to 16:00 continuously before getting a bit patchy just towards the end but we were still playing at 17:30.

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's nice to know that I'm not stone deaf and that the system does actually sound good :lol:

I think I've probably sold another 20 or 30 CDQ's for Audiolab today.

Loads of people stayed ages and some even came back later for more. That really made it worth all the effort. I had a very enjoyable day.

Alex_UK
06-03-2011, 23:41
Well, a few words on my first Scalford Experience.

I won't name names, but it was really good to meet so many AoS members, although the circumstances are not conducive to having long conversations, so apologies to those who I didn't get to speak to much. It was still really good to put faces to names (and avatars!) and to meet some of the people behind the posts.

This was my first Scalford - to be honest, my first "hifi" event of any type. For me, it was really interesting to see and hear so many different systems in one location, and without there being vested interests at play. It would be rude of me to mention the systems I didn't particularly like, but let's just say I have no desire to go out looking for horn speakers, or re-mortgaging the house to pay for "badge" hifi....

Mark (Reid Malenfant) and I spent the day together, mainly because Mark didn't want to be stuck in Pie country as he doesn't have a mobile 'phone! It was interesting that we both pretty much came to the same conclusions after each visit to a room. We managed to get round to most, although not all - 49 rooms in a maximum of 7 hours is actually too much - divided amongst each room, that only gives you 8.5 minutes per system, and that is if you forego beer, fag, wee and food breaks - we chose to drop the latter, so that still only gave us a maximum of 8 minutes per room! Given that we naturally wanted to spend more than that in the AoS room, and make several visits, in reality, you just can't do it in a day, regardless of the fact that you also spend half the time trying to work out where the f*ck you are in the building!

Other personal observations, then. Everyone was really friendly, and despite it being heaving, we always managed to squeeze into a room. The main emphasis I think is on fun - no one was taking it too seriously, I felt. One slight criticism is that the usual hifi fare was being played in a lot of rooms - Miles Davies, Kate Bush, Dire Straits where probably the most common, but there was a general trend towards Jazz/acoustic type music (I know to a degree this is the listener's fault, for not asking for something else, but refer to the comment about time above...) I personally would have liked to hear a bit more variation, and perhaps it was there, and we just got unlucky on the rotation we were working on.

Down to the nitty gritty then - which rooms sounded the best? As a general observation, as already eluded to above, the systems with horns in them just didn't do it for me. Quite a lot of the rooms were not ideal matches for the systems, and I found that overall, the systems I preferred were those with smaller standmount speakers, which were more optimal for the rooms. I have certainly changed my opinion of "tiddly speakers" - the JR149s, AVI ADM 9.1's, Harbeth HL-P3ES's, and tiny PMCs all doing a great job.

Here's an interesting one - I found that I didn't prefer in any system valves over solid state, or vice versa. I know I'm a bit of a newbie here, but I really couldn't have told you in one single example just by listening, whether an amp was valve or transistor based. Probably just my lack of experience, but I certainly haven't come away thinking (apart from the looks) that I just have to have glowing bottles!

OK, well I've avoided it long enough - which system did I like the most? Well, it goes without saying (well it doesn't, so I'll say it!) that the AoS system did sound fab - Nick's (Beechwoods) Nagra in particular surprised me, as I wasn't expecting it to sound that good - just my preconceptions of tape, I guess, based on 80's Amstrad systems - I never realised how good a tape front end can be. Marco's Techie, Copper amp and 66's was a lovely combination. I also heard several people commenting on how good the AoS room sounded - they obviously weren't in their when Nick (Beechwoods) was choosing the music! :lol: ;)

I also really enjoyed listening to the Quad ESL57 fronted system, with LP12 front end and Leak TL12 amps - maybe it was partly because I deliberately wanted to hear a pair of electrostatics, having never heard them before, or not, but they sounded very neutral and had a wonderful presentation. Maybe helped by the supertweeters, but also I suspect the big room they were in.

I could go on and on - really, there wasn't a "bad" system at all. But, in the final analysis, I think the sound I enjoyed the most was in Jerry's (Jandl100) room, with the combo of Wadia 830 CD player or Pioneer PL600X turntable, Unison Unico amp, and borrowed Tannoy 12" Golds in Lancaster cabinets. I don't know what it was about this system specifically that was so tantalising, but it just seemed so effortless - the image was so well defined, and the "picture" so clear, and overall the combination was just so full of soul and musicality that if I had to stick my neck out and say that is the one I would have, it would (probably) be it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone with my musings - it really was a fabulous day out, and a great experience, and I can't wait until the next one!

Well done everyone.

John
07-03-2011, 06:13
NicK Negra is a lovelly bit of engineering and sounded really great
At least no one can excuse the AOS room of sticking with the usual music, but yes it was fun watcing people's reaction when we played something a bit more challenging, perhapd maybe good then we did not have a DAC so I could play my tastes!
I really enjoyed hanging around with Nick and Marco lots of laughs
A lot of people liked the Dittons we got a lot of questions and lots of people wanting to hear the Negra. It was great chatting to people, Johnboy looked a lot more sane that i imainged (Lol_ really nice to chat too. Did not get as much opportunity to talk to Alex and Mark as I would of liked. Technobear was nice to chat impressive collection of music and nice system.
I imagine both Marco and Nick must be really tired, they both worked so hard I had to leave a bit early back was getting a bit tight and just knew helping load up was just going to make everything worse

John
07-03-2011, 08:23
Listening to the Negra I now understand why Andre records all his music onto tape from CD, it just allows the music to flow more naturally. Its a lovelly bit of kit Nick
The 66s are nicely balanced, not quite the scale of Marcos Lockwoods, but very easy to live with. What suprised me is how intergrated they are throughout the frequency range.
A lot of people commited how well Jerry system sounded, I think he really liked the Negra but perhaps not our music choices.
The 1210 is now a truly high end player, the platter and power supplies just seems to let the music flow I also really liked the SPU very musical and understand why people really like it

Rare Bird
07-03-2011, 10:40
Listening to the Nagra I now understand why Andre records all his music onto tape from CD, it just allows the music to flow more naturally.

Brilliant John i'm glad someone notices this.You retain the CD quality but as you say the music is much more easy to listern to, i just can't get the same source recordings from Vinyl to tape. :cool:

YNWaN
07-03-2011, 11:23
To be honest, the Ditton 66's didn't really win me over - fun though.

The Nagra was lovely though.

jandl100
07-03-2011, 11:33
But, in the final analysis, I think the sound I enjoyed the most was in Jerry's (Jandl100) room, with the combo of Wadia 830 CD player or Pioneer PL600X turntable, Unison Unico amp, and borrowed Tannoy 12" Golds in Lancaster cabinets. I don't know what it was about this system specifically that was so tantalising, but it just seemed so effortless - the image was so well defined, and the "picture" so clear, and overall the combination was just so full of soul and musicality that if I had to stick my neck out and say that is the one I would have, it would (probably) be it.

Cor. Thanks Alex. It was nice to meet you and Mark.

The Tannoys and my electonics/tt was very much a marriage of convenience, but it certainly did work well on the day.

Quite a few folks rated it as the best sound at the show. :)

Marco
07-03-2011, 12:16
Hi Jerry,

Yes I was very impressed with your room, too, and would rate it as one of the best, perhaps in no small amount due to those superb Lancasters, which TBH, are one of the best pairs of Tannoys I've heard :eek: - you had real synergy going on there, dude!

Perhaps now you've warmed just a teensy-weensy bit to the vintage Tannoy DC sound? There's a reason, you know, why so many people loved their musical presentation ;)

Also, I was glad to have been of assistance to Robin on Friday night when he was considering buying the Lancasters, and he asked for my advice, and invited Nick, John and me over to his room to have a listen to them. It only took about 5 mins of listening for me to say "Buy 'em!", so I'm glad he did - enjoy Rob! :)

I will comment later on my thoughts of the few rooms I managed to visit.

As an exhibitor, it's impossible to get round all the rooms, and I think if this excellent show could be bettered in any significant way, it would be for it to be extended to a two-day event. You need one day to be in your own room to talk to people, and another full day to visit everyone else's room and have a proper listen.

Perhaps someone who's also a member of Wigwam could put this suggestion forward?

I know it would make it more expensive, but I think it would ultimately result in people enjoying themselves more, being less tired, and probably even better sounds being produced, as folks would have more time to get their systems gelling with the rooms they've been given.

A big thanks, though, to James and everyone else at Wigwam for the superb effort they put in to making the show once again a success - roll on next year indeed!

One thing I'd like to do next year is put together an AoS system with less of my gear in it (for a change - lol), and showcase other people's kit. I'd love to use some of Martin T's equipment, for example, particularly his Techy, and there are others too who could provide some good stuff (e.g. Clive, with his superb Salvation T/T), so let's work towards that aim for next year, chaps....!

Anyway, until I can get my own thoughts together, here are a smattering of the comments we've received from elsewhere on the AoS room (we had loads more very positive remarks from visitors, many of whom don't contribute to forums, with the Celestions in particular going down a treat):

From Wigwam:

"Art of Sound's was as amazing as ever and those old Celestions are staggeringly good."

"We both thought the Ditton 66 system was great, considering they are as old as my son! They sounded clean and controlled and easily showed the difference between the sources that were used during our brief listening session."

"Really glad it worked out for you in the end Jerry. Now some people might think me biased, but I would say this anyway-your room with Robins' Tannoys was the best sounding of the show by a country mile, barring The AOS room who were close behind, particularly when the Nagra open-reel was in use..."

"The Art of Sound room was very impressive. A lot of electronica being played on my first visit. I was walking past later in the day when Jeff Buckley’s was playing and stopped dead in my tracks at the door and had to go back in. It was awesome."

"The few rooms that I poke my head in to were all very positive, the ART of sound's room was rather good..."

"The final system that stood out for me was one that I think was on the first floor and used monitor speakers that were quite widely spaced, so going by the programme, I think it must have been SYndicate 5's system with Celestion Ditton 66 Studio Monitors. Pretty detailed, but not in your face. Reminded me a bit of my Spendor Sp1's."

"AOS's room was very loud as usual! My first visit was a dissapointment due to excess treble but a second visit was jawdropping with the Nagra playing."

"The AOS room, with the Celestion Ditton 66. Sounded good on CD, but then I asked for the Nagra reel-to-reel to be played ... OMG . Fabulous."

"I loved the Celestion 66s. My brother used to own 25s, and maybe that's why I liked them so much. Cool copper KT88 based amp, lovely Nagra tape deck. I'm not sure this wasn't my fave system. Loved the way the 66s looked, ahem, so knackered, yet sang so bloody well. The 66s ooze detail, can pack serious, serious bass. They also image really well. Brilliant!"

"The Celestion 66 sound was also very good - impressive clean and deep bass in a relatively large room."

From James Palmer (owner): "Only one FUCK ME THAT'S UGLY, OH MY GO I WANT IT moment: I thought Marco's speakers were the ugliest things I have ever seen while being the most sublime speakers I have ever heard. Quite astonishingly good."

And from pfm:

"[Best rooms] Marco/Art of Sound - Insane amounts of deep bass from some vintage Celestion 66s. Good sound and just goes to show how good some old speakers are."

"AoS's Dittons 66 are both fabulous and stupendously ugly at the same time..."

[Indeed they ain't purdy with the grilles off, but unfortunately that's how they sound best! :eyebrows:]

"It really is a great show, where else can you hear ,Quads ,Tannoys ,Horns, Apogees, those fantastic Dittons, in a 25 metre radius".

And from Tony L:

"Marco's Ditton 66s. These were the speaker that kicked me into audio in first place. I heard a friend's dad's pair and was hooked, I can even remember the track (A Question Of Balance by the Moody Blues). Not heard a pair since about 1976 until today. You know what? They sound how I remember them: big, ballsy, tons of deep fun bass. I like."

It was certainly good at long last to meet Tony and have a chat with him in Jerry (Jandl's) room, whilst listening to those superb Lancasters. Based on the comments we were both making, I suspect that Tony and I share similar priorities on how music is best reproduced ;)

Some nice pics from the gear used in the AoS room:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60282288@N06/5505147776/in/set-72157626214821530/ - SPU doing the biz on the Techy, with nice shot of Mike New platter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60282288@N06/5505133272/in/set-72157626214821530/
- Nick's wonderful Nagra.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60282288@N06/5504527241/in/set-72157626214821530/ - MusicWorks mains block and Mark Grant Furutech-modded DSP.2.5s (both were essential to how the system sounded, speakers aside! ;))

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60282288@N06/5505107556/in/set-72157626214821530/ - Copper amp, Croft preamp, TD mains filter (also essential, for an 'ancillary item', to how the system sounded) and the superb SR5 PSU, for the Techy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60282288@N06/5505101482/in/set-72157626214821530/ - Tweeter and midrange unit of Celestions.

Nice YouTube vid here, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRLunWK_bE

Right, I'm off to empty the car, reassemble my system, and once I've finished all that, I'll offer my thoughts on some of the rooms I visited :cool:

Marco.

Rare Bird
07-03-2011, 12:32
As an exhibitor, it's impossible to get round all the rooms, and I think if this excellent show could be bettered in any significant way, it would be for it to be extended to a two-day event. You need one day to be in your own room to talk to people, and another full day to visit everyone else's room and have a proper listen.

Perhaps someone who's also a member of Wigwam could put this suggestion forward?

I know it would make it more expensive, but I think it would ultimately result in people enjoying themselves more, being less tired, and probably even better sounds being produced, as folks would have more time to get their systems gelling with the rooms they've been given.

Hi Marco
Well i think the location is a bit too inconvenient for most, i decided in the end not to go mainly due to the coast £100+, nearly 7 hours travelling in whole.Public transport there is a joke, if it were on a Saturday it would be much easier & no doubt many many more would attend, i still say it's in the wrong place for many, the place is a nightmare to get round anyway.

halvis
07-03-2011, 12:39
Fond memories of Ditton 66's. My mates dad had a pair and we played them within an inch of their lives at many a party during our late teens and early twenties. They played very loud with a huge warm sound for many relentless hours at a time, really great fun. I guess my first real intro to hifi.

By comparison, another mates dad had a Naim system with Epos speakers. It had more detail etc, but was plain boring in comparison.

Wish I could have been there to hear them, fair dues to you for taking them.

Beechwoods
07-03-2011, 12:52
Well, I had a fab time, a great day on Sunday and a really nice evening on the Saturday - albeit we were up til 3am, which I paid for on the Sunday morning!

I didn't get round many of the rooms, but got to say hello to a few people and meet some of our members, which was great, and what Scalford is all about first and foremost!

I was very pleased with the sound we got in our room, and really pleased that my Nagra acquitted itself well and allowed the rest of the system to shine though. I thought our sound was definitely the result of all the parts coming together, rather than any single element.

We even had a cable revelation (we always do!) when one of Mark Grant's IEC leads was swapped in instead of my scavenged kettle lead on the Nagra... cue wider soundstage and even more loveliness. I certainly wasn't expecting that!

It was great to say hello to Adam (Beobloke), Jerry, Philip (Baron), Mark (Reid M), Alex (UK) and all the others who took the time to have a chat. I wish I'd heard more of the other systems. What I did hear was excellent - Bigdur's home-built horns - wow - Robin's Lancasters (later used by Jerry) - fantastic, LindsayT - loved the EMT! - and Adam's lovely gear, both turntables I heard were fab, and the Metallica was great too!

I'd like to stake a claim for the scariest music of the show... Venetian Snares + Speedranch 'Fire Beats' off 'Making Orange Things'. Steve (Toy) likened it to his degauss CD. I like to think it had slightly more rhythm than that, but he wasn't far wrong ;)

You don't get to hear that at your traditional hi-fi show :)

MartinT
07-03-2011, 13:07
One thing I'd like to do next year is put together an AoS system with less of my gear in it (for a change - lol), and showcase other people's kit. I'd love to use some of Martin T's equipment, for example, particularly his Techy

Consider it on the calendar, Marco. I'd be happy to bring it along.

Marco
07-03-2011, 13:11
Nice one, Martin! :)

I'd defo like to use your Techy (and perhaps also your amps?) as it would be good to demo a non-valve system for a change, and one with huge reserves of power, which I think the Celestions would respond very well to.

Don't worry, your Ushers will be staying put!! :eek: :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
07-03-2011, 13:19
Phew, thought you were going to ask for them too. Yes to the amps, it would be good to show off some solid state gear (and justify my byline).

One practical question: what's the security like at the show? Is there always someone manning the room?

John
07-03-2011, 13:19
Those Ushers have a lot of weight to them

MartinT
07-03-2011, 13:22
With 30kg of lead shot in the compartments, they weight about 160kg each.

Marco
07-03-2011, 13:40
Phew, thought you were going to ask for them too. Yes to the amps, it would be good to show off some solid state gear (and justify my byline).

Indeed - after all, AoS isn't about 'The Art of Valves'. It's about how to create a really good sound using both valves and solid-state equipment, and your kit is amongst the best of the breed I've heard, so I think it's time others had the pleasure of listening to it :)

Also, given what I've learned about the Celestions when being used in a big room (certainly much bigger than mine), I think they'd sound stunning on the end of your amps.

Next year I'll also request that we get Syndicate 5, as it is a good room, but I also know how to better optimise the speaker/room interaction next time, so watch this space ;)

One practical question: what's the security like at the show? Is there always someone manning the room?

Well, you're given a key to lock the room on the Saturday night once the system is set-up, and on the day of the show we always make sure that there are at least two of us in the room at any one time watching the kit.

However, you need to make sure that your own insurance covers any potential damage or theft of the gear you bring, as no-one else can accept liability, which is what I do.

This is the third year we've done it now, and there have been no problems, so just make sure that your insurance covers things, but it's very doubtful that anything untoward would happen :cool:

Marco.

jandl100
07-03-2011, 13:53
Perhaps now you've warmed just a teensy-weensy bit to the vintage Tannoy DC sound? There's a reason, you know, why so many people loved their musical presentation ;)

Yup - it usually takes me just a few minutes to get irritated by the Tannoy Treble ... yesterday it took me most of the day. Those Lancasters suffered far less from that issue than most I have heard. But tbh, by about 3 in the pm what I perceive as typical Tannoy whispy whistly graininess was becoming troublesome to me.

I just can't get me 'ead round that one, I'm afraid. :scratch:

And I could do with more transparency and tactile presence to the sound.

And the bass was a bit loose and boomy when provoked ... but I guess I could blame the room for that one.

But the sound was very nice overall, and lots of folks clearly love them, so that's fine. It would be a boring old world if we were all the same, wouldn't it! :)

Marco
07-03-2011, 14:06
Hi Jerry,

No worries - I totally agree with you. It's defo a case of 'different strokes for different folks', but I also like to learn where others are coming from, as in many cases the way other people listen can identify things that previously you weren't aware of, and which can sometimes be useful.

I just can't get me 'ead round that one, I'm afraid.

In that respect, next time we must listen to Tannoys together, so you can point out where the "whispy whistly graininess" is, which I don't seem able to hear.

Of course, ALL speakers are coloured to some degree, so with Tannoys, I supect it's simply a case of you identifying an annoying (to you) coloration which my ears ignore and factor in as part of their 'addictive musicality'.

However, at the end of the day, it's all subjective. Anyway, congrats on making some nice sounds! :cool:

Marco.

bigdur
07-03-2011, 15:25
Speak as I find, it was nice to have a quick chat with the AOS lads again this year on the Sat night, I missed checking your room out this year as mainly I was paranoid about leaving my kit with the grubby handed public. I did hear back some positive reviews though so well done, sorry one of your members didn't enjoy my horns, ''all boom and tizz'' apparently, well goes to show how different our tastes are and makes the hobby better for it IMO.
Nick, always a pleasure to chat with you, maybe next year you lot can come have a beer and curry with us? You never know you might enjoy it.

MCRU
07-03-2011, 15:50
A few members off other forums have mentioned without being prompted how good the AOS room was. The only thing that spoilt it I was told was that damn make up brush under the techie...:lol:

Rare Bird
07-03-2011, 16:09
Na it was this, looks like someone got too excited :lolsign:

Marco
07-03-2011, 16:52
Lol - indeed. A wee spillage during a moment of aural excitement (yes, that was "aural" not oral.... :eyebrows:)

Hi Jack,

Speak as I find, it was nice to have a quick chat with the AOS lads again this year on the Sat night, I missed checking your room out this year as mainly I was paranoid about leaving my kit with the grubby handed public. I did hear back some positive reviews though so well done, sorry one of your members didn't enjoy my horns, ''all boom and tizz'' apparently, well goes to show how different our tastes are and makes the hobby better for it IMO.
Nick, always a pleasure to chat with you, maybe next year you lot can come have a beer and curry with us? You never know you might enjoy it.

Always nice to chat to you - and this time yer arse was behaving itself, too! :eyebrows: ;)

Would love to go for a curry with you guys, but the problem is, finding the time to fit it in! By the time I've packed the car and driven down there, unpacked it all and set-up the system, it's usually after midnight! :rolleyes:

You guys are either better organised, have less gear to set up, and/or live closer to the venue.... ;)

Loved your system playing (Duke Ellington?) - the dynamic range of those horns was incredible, and so any acoustic instruments, particularly trumpets and sax sounded amazingly life-like. 'Conventional' speakers simply can't do this.

However, the price you pay for such dynamic impact and immediacy, is that horns don't always reproduce other types of music so well, which is what I think some people picked up on. I'd totally disagree with the "all boom and tizz" remark, as that simply wasn't the case with the right music.

The other thing is, cabinets aside, you designed them yourself, so mucho respecto!!

I also loved the Lenco/12" Jelco (Shelter 501?) combo, which showed exactly why I rate all three items - the Lenco, in particular, being an amazing bargain, when mounted in a suitable plinth. It was very musical sounding and enjoyable indeed, so well done! :cool:

More comments later.

Marco.

Marco
07-03-2011, 17:09
Meanwhile some more pics of the AoS room, courtesy of Pete (i should coco):

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/i_should_coco/Scalford_2011/IMG_2120_800.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/i_should_coco/Scalford_2011/IMG_2119_800.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/i_should_coco/Scalford_2011/IMG_2123_800.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n15/i_should_coco/Scalford_2011/IMG_2117_800.jpg

Marco.

MartinT
07-03-2011, 17:19
Sure that drip in the bass driver is not as a result of excessive driving / melting of the coil former?

Rare Bird
07-03-2011, 17:22
Someones varnished em by the looks of it

Reid Malenfant
07-03-2011, 17:37
It's simply the damping material applied to the cone which has gradually flowed over the millenia :eyebrows:

:D Ok then 40 years or so... Even glass flows over the years ;)

Marco
07-03-2011, 17:42
Hi Mark,

Nice to have met you, dude! So what were your thoughts on the system and the show as a whole? :)

Marco.

Rare Bird
07-03-2011, 17:43
It's simply the damping material applied to the cone which has gradually flowed over the millenia :eyebrows:

:D Ok then 40 years or so... Even glass flows over the years ;)

I don't think so mark it way too yellow & thick, mine were coated colourless like the below left.

hifinutt
07-03-2011, 17:48
thoroughly enjoyed this years show. even tho the much heralded amatis weighing a collossal amount were good to hear the aos room was one of the best and i could have stayed there for longer . i guessed it was an aos room by the multiplicity of mark grant dsp cables and of course mains cables r us

papa lazarou`s obx were sounding marvelous as usual with the kondo preamp

all the snells sounded good and what a privelige to hear 3 sets of snells in one day

dr rock really had me going with his choice of music and his apogees and his modded arcam cd player was a joy as well

met quite a few lost souls and had to direct,, perhaps next year we should have strategically placed direction finders to guide folks who were a fair bit nonplussed

Welder
07-03-2011, 17:54
I would be really interested in hearing Alex (UK) opinion of the systems he listened to, particularly with regard to system cost v performance.

(my calculator is on smoking just from inputting the approximate costs of the kit in the pictures :eyebrows:)

Reid Malenfant
07-03-2011, 17:55
Well looky here Andr'e... Nearly a drippy drippy, though the other cone has none & the grilles had never been removed before i bought them ;)

Might have been a heavy application of goop on a Friday afternoon after a visit to a pub ;)

DSJR
07-03-2011, 18:03
Why the grille removal?

Oh I know, some audiophool idea about the sound being better sans grilles :D

Rare Bird
07-03-2011, 18:22
Well looky here Andr'e... Nearly a drippy drippy, though the other cone has none & the grilles had never been removed before i bought them ;)

Might have been a heavy application of goop on a Friday afternoon after a visit to a pub ;)

Na i think thats just excess glue from the dust cap fix :)

Why the grille removal?

Oh I know, some audiophool idea about the sound being better sans grilles :D

With the grills attached we wouldnt be having this intresting convo regarding a possible DIY varnish application instead of bullshyte 'i love this & that system', so it's good to remove grills imho :lolsign:

jandl100
07-03-2011, 18:50
Of course, ALL speakers are coloured to some degree, so with Tannoys, I supect it's simply a case of you identifying an annoying (to you) coloration which my ears ignore and factor in as part of their 'addictive musicality'.

Hi Marco

I was about to post exactly the same thing!

We are as one. :cool:

I'm not sure there's much point in me pointing out to you the particular errors I hear Tannoys making ... I've tried that sort of thing before. ... I actually pointed with my finger - "Look, there it is ..." :doh:
It didn't help much. :lol:

Anyway - suppose I succeeded - would you actually want me to spoil your enjoyment of the Tannoy sound? :scratch:

However, at the end of the day, it's all subjective. Anyway, congrats on making some nice sounds! :cool:

Marco.

Yup, thanks Marco. A lot of folks really enjoyed the music making in my room. Top result! :)

... Come to think of it, I enjoyed it too! ... the Tannoys just wouldn't be a speaker I could live with over the medium term.

Beechwoods
07-03-2011, 19:09

Thanks Jack (though I will always think of you as Dur!) it would be great to take you up on the offer next year - it's always good to have a natter! I know it'd be a good laugh - I assume there's a decent curry house near Scalford ;) :cool:

bigdur
07-03-2011, 19:13
Oh yes, we had an all you can eat buffet and taxi for £20 a head. Top banana.

Beechwoods
07-03-2011, 19:23
Thats what this smiley was made for :carrot:

(Actually it's a carrot, but nevermind!)