PDA

View Full Version : Beresford Bushmaster DAC

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

MartinT
07-02-2012, 06:47
You should try that mod on the Gatorized board instead ;).

Will do! What are you recommending? Elna Silmic unpolarized coupling caps on the Gator board? Same values?

Colin151
08-02-2012, 01:10
I have just auditioned the Bushmaster Dac and am really impressed by it`s transparency and focus. The top to bottom coherence is of the highest order. The battery PSU gives a silent backdrop from which the music flows with naturalness and clarity. Some products strip the meat off the bone to give an impression of etched detail. The Bushmaster avoids this because it is emotionally convincing. I just love deceptively simple designs that deliver the goods like this Dac does.

Just catching up with this thread.

What is written above is a more concise version of what I wrote after hearing the Bushmaster. I really liked the sound of this DAC as it gave superb definition and transparency/clarity without sounding clinical, which is something I've not heard before with a digital source. I can't wait to get my hands on one permanently. I haven't even heard the headphone output yet, can't wait.

magiccarpetride
10-02-2012, 20:39
Now you tell us :doh:.
The mod I devised is primarily aimed at those who have a SEG Caiman. The SEG case was made 2mm higher in order to accommodate the bigger silmic ;). But more about that later in the week.

It is later in the week. Is it? I'm holding my breath;) Can't wait to read up on your further instructions, Stan. Throw us a bone, something to chew on over the weekend...

Covenant
11-02-2012, 09:22
Oh pooo..I had forgotten that the SEG had a bigger case. Oh well, I guess it's just a long wait for the Bushmaster + as I need the pre-amp function.

StanleyB
11-02-2012, 16:39
Oh pooo..I had forgotten that the SEG had a bigger case. Oh well, I guess it's just a long wait for the Bushmaster + as I need the pre-amp function.
I have a solution ;). Unfortunately I am unable to get down to my workshop and commence work on the pics etc. I got a lousy cold and just can't take any soldering and cleaning fumes right now.

Covenant
11-02-2012, 16:49
Fantastic! Get well soon Stan!

John
21-02-2012, 15:35
I visit Stan's workshop and got to hear the Bushmaster DAC before its been put in its case.
My own impressions is that the sound is very natural with lots of detail. Everything seems to intergrate really well, bass has lots of depth, mids and treble really intergrate well too. Judging by what I heard Stan has a new giant killer on his hands and think the sound will take on a lot of the big boys l

Martinh
21-02-2012, 16:02
Is there a way to bypass the Bushmaster (or caiman) for passing through surround sound to an AV receiver? I'm sure I've seen some DACs with a digital out to go to an AVR.

Or is that a stupid question?

Martin

wee tee cee
21-02-2012, 20:11
I'm looking forward to slotting a bushmaster in my system....

Alex_UK
22-02-2012, 22:40
Over 250 posts, and unless I missed it no one has discussed the name - why Bushmaster :scratch: - and is there a double entendre there? :eyebrows:

I must admit I will look forward to hearing one... :)

Stratmangler
22-02-2012, 22:44
Over 250 posts, and unless I missed it no one has discussed the name - why Bushmaster :scratch: - and is there a double entendre there? :eyebrows:

I must admit I will look forward to hearing one... :)

Reptilian reference again to follow on from the Caiman.
Another creature with sharp and deadly teeth.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/86178/bushmaster

Alex_UK
22-02-2012, 22:47
Cheers Chris - makes sense! :)

The Grand Wazoo
22-02-2012, 23:24
It's in keeping with Stan's South American reptilian theme Alex:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_q8CWhpK0Qb4/TAQxQC2jw_I/AAAAAAAADkI/_UX0im49IZg/s1600/Bushmaster.jpg

.......it's known for it's incredibly aggressive attack.

EDIT: Doh! Read the thread to the end you dunce. Don't you just hate it when someone asks a question & you don't spot that it's on the last post of a page?!

jandl100
23-02-2012, 06:13
How about an apology from that fecker at Purite Audio who goes on the other forums slagging Stan off for allegedly just selling on imported product and not doing any design work himself?

It is so obviously not true.

He tried it here once, and got seriously warned off by Marco. :thumbsup: Sadly, other forums let it stand. :(

John
23-02-2012, 07:39
I been round to Stans place he has his own workshop and is constantly looking at how to improve his equipment

StanleyB
23-02-2012, 08:34
How about an apology from that fecker at Purite Audio who goes on the other forums slagging Stan off for allegedly just selling on imported product and not doing any design work himself?(
I have never shied away from allowing visitors into my workshop and see what I am up to. I reckon that he wouldn't dare level those same charges on Cambridge and Audiolab.

Mr.Ian
24-02-2012, 21:57
time seems to pass so slowly when one is waiting ................ whats the latest updated on first shipping date

seoirse2002
24-02-2012, 22:26
+

Gazjam
25-02-2012, 09:57
its the same folk who wheel out this nonsense and it comes up regular as clockwork.
Gotta love the internet....

Funnily enough its usually from folk who sell similar products at much higher prices...funny that? :scratch:

RoboCopper
25-02-2012, 10:21
How about an apology from that fecker at Purite Audio who goes on the other forums slagging Stan off for allegedly just selling on imported product and not doing any design work himself?

It is so obviously not true.

He tried it here once, and got seriously warned off by Marco. :thumbsup: Sadly, other forums let it stand. :(

Generally in life, I "love" this folk.
They got their degrees on Google, not just degrees, but masters and doctorates!

They all seem to criticize others people work, that's all they learned from their google "education".

Bazil
25-02-2012, 18:13
Are there any pics of the Bushmaster anywhere?

jostber
26-02-2012, 13:15
Are there any pics of the Bushmaster anywhere?

I believe it's not shipping before early April, so there haven't been released any pics yet. Not even some teasers. :)

RoboCopper
26-02-2012, 13:25
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=267932&postcount=39

maybe this one :)

StanleyB
26-02-2012, 14:00
The stresses of the delays...
There are no teasers because the case is still being sorted out by the case manufacturer. I was not satisfied with the overall look of the front panel. So they are amending that.

daveyboy
27-02-2012, 21:00
No variable output and a question mark on the caiman volume pot has put a dampener on me moving away from the Beresford 6/4.
Oh well, still a damn fine dac

StanleyB
27-02-2012, 21:23
No variable output and a question mark on the caiman volume pot has put a dampener on me moving away from the Beresford 6/4.
You are already badmouthing something that you have not even heard yet?

daveyboy
27-02-2012, 21:42
That's totally incorrect, as the only fact I stated was no variable output on said dac. Whilst others have mentioned about the volume pot, then yes, there is clearly a question mark, a doubt in my mind.

StanleyB
27-02-2012, 22:33
:scratch: I haven't seen or read anywhere about a question mark on the volume control of the Bushmaster. Can you provide a link to that comment?

daveyboy
27-02-2012, 23:50

Please read again

StanleyB
28-02-2012, 08:46
I have. So why the negative comments about the Caiman in the Bushmaster thread? What's the relevance or the agenda behind it?

RoboCopper
28-02-2012, 08:51
Caiman is one of the best hifi products I ever owned.
The only reason I sold it because I got a good offer and only after I read this thread about new Bushmaster. Now I am in a waiting game to visit NW London again to collect my BM :)

But after reading about new mods on Caiman Gator board, I wish I did not sell it
:doh:

Maybe, I will get Caiman again...

StanleyB
28-02-2012, 11:37
Maybe, I will get Caiman again...
The next Caiman is not due till the end of the year if everything goes to plan. So you can indulge in a Bushmaster and add a C2 later on ;).

Ali Tait
28-02-2012, 11:40
What's in the pipeline for the new Caiman Stan?

RoboCopper
28-02-2012, 11:46
The next Caiman is not due till the end of the year if everything goes to plan. So you can indulge in a Bushmaster and add a C2 later on ;).

One question, Stan?

In your opinion, which one will be better sound wise?

Cheers

p.s. I miss my Caiman, but hope to endure till BM :)

StanleyB
28-02-2012, 11:51
I don't believe in a manufacturer telling you which of his product sounds better. Those sort of comments could be seen as pure marketing, or favouring the sale of a more expensive item.
But my personal aim is to get them all sound better than the opposition, whilst providing different options with each type.

RoboCopper
28-02-2012, 11:59
I am looking forward to those new products :), especially better than o position.
Can you say at least which one sounds eg. like tube vs transistor? Or panel speaker vs. dynamic?
If you could make that sort of rude comparison?

Anyway, I have a feeling that after BM, my next one will be new Caiman mk2 :)

Good to hear about new products from Stan.

daveyboy
28-02-2012, 15:14
In answer to your question Stan, potentially a double kick in the balls. The Bushmaster is out and was expressing my disappointment about that as well as responding with potential disappointment to a view expressed about the Caiman. As someone who owns the 6/4 my agenda is I want a new Beresford dac which markedly improves on the 6/4 with no volume output issue :)

Labarum
28-02-2012, 15:33
Caiman 2? Will that use the same DAC chip and the Caiman 1, or the newer Bushmaster technology, Stan?

alienderivative
06-03-2012, 14:22
What's going to be the difference between the C2 and the BM?

BTW, how did you like the snow pics?

Marco
06-03-2012, 14:33
Hi Don,

Welcome to AoS! Remember the Welcome thread you were asked to post when you received your confirmation email? Please attend to that before contributing any further elsewhere on the forum.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

StanleyB
06-03-2012, 14:51
Caiman 2? Will that use the same DAC chip and the Caiman 1, or the newer Bushmaster technology, Stan?
Hi Brian, it will use the newer technology and then some ;).

StanleyB
06-03-2012, 14:52

Hi Don, the main difference will be that the C2 will have USB and a variable output.

Spectral Morn
06-03-2012, 16:02

Welcome to AOS, hope you enjoy the forum.

Regards D D S L

anthonyTD
06-03-2012, 18:40
hi Don,
Welcome to AOS :)
Anthony,TD...

RoboCopper
06-03-2012, 18:48
Hi Don, the main difference will be that the C2 will have USB and a variable output.

Stan, (or other who listened to BM), I wonder what is the sound difference between Bushmaster and Caiman? :scratch:

I cant wait for BM:mental:

The Grand Wazoo
06-03-2012, 19:14
Hello Don,
It's nice to have you here.
Cheers

Beechwoods
07-03-2012, 06:31

Welcome to AoS Don, I hope you like it here. If you enjoy photography you way want to check out our 'Abstract Gallery' :)
http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

alienderivative
08-03-2012, 15:43
Thanks.

alan47
12-03-2012, 20:48
Put me down for a Bushmaster when they are ready please Stan.It sounds like exactly what i am looking for.A pensioners dream :please:

DaveK
15-03-2012, 14:48
I don't know whether Stan would like to comment (Stan ?) but I came across this and thought it might be a cost effective linear PSU for the Bushmaster and existing Stan-DACs. It's voltage is readily adjustable between 11 and 15v.
Hope it's of interest,
Dave.

Puffin
15-03-2012, 15:04
No linky?

DaveK
15-03-2012, 15:37
Hi Rob,
That wasn't very bright of me was it? Well I have been up since 7.30am wthout my afternoon nap so I've got a little excuse :lol: .
Here wiggo: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170713828659&refid=store

Sorry folks, old age 'n' all that.
Dave.

northwest
15-03-2012, 17:57
I don't know whether Stan would like to comment (Stan ?) but I came across this and thought it might be a cost effective linear PSU for the Bushmaster and existing Stan-DACs. It's voltage is readily adjustable between 11 and 15v.
Hope it's of interest,
Dave.

Very interesting that and in my price bracket too! Who is going to be the guinea pig and buy one first?

StanleyB
18-03-2012, 08:58
It wouldn't be of much use with the Bushmaster. The external power supply is used as a battery charger on the Bushmaster.

Mark Grant
18-03-2012, 09:22
Hi Rob,
That wasn't very bright of me was it? Well I have been up since 7.30am wthout my afternoon nap so I've got a little excuse :lol: .
Here wiggo: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170713828659&refid=store

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Not sure what makes you think it is a linear PSU, does not say anywhere in the description.:scratch:

The specs say it weighs 600 grams and can output 12 volts at up to 7 amps, a transformer capable of that would weight more than 600 grams without a case etc.

Also on the Conrad site is it described as ' voltageswitch Power Supply' :)

http://shop.conrad-uk.com/1/2-a2-uk0512015__voltcraft-fixed-voltageswitch-power-supply-fsp-120-fsp-1207-.html

The pdf download from that link explains it.

seoirse2002
18-03-2012, 09:25
Halfway through March now....any update on the delivery for the Bushmaster Stan?
GT

StanleyB
18-03-2012, 09:42
I am spending most of my time on getting it ready, which is why I am hardly on AoS at the moment.

jandl100
18-03-2012, 09:49
Quit nagging, folks! ;)
The more time Stan spends answering "Are we there yet?" questions, the longer it'll take to get there.

I feel sure that Stan will let us know when it's ready to ship, or if there is anything to report. :)

DaveK
18-03-2012, 09:57
Hello Mark,
Thanks for pointing that out - dohhhh, my brain 'urts :doh: :scratch: .
I can think of a few possible explanations, the most likely being that I was looking at other Conrad listings (which I was :) ) that were linear and of similar build, and totally missed the fact that this one wasn't, or
the seller subsequently revised his listing to withdraw any linear reference - if you look at the list of revisions to the listing there have been many (but I'm clutching at straws here, TBH ;) ).
Sorry to all for the confusion.
BTW I'm surprised that no one has reacted to Stan's comment that the Bushmaster is battery powered - that is news to me and quite significant isn't it?
Dave.

StanleyB
18-03-2012, 10:10
BTW I'm surprised that no one has reacted to Stan's comment that the Bushmaster is battery powered - that is news to me and quite significant isn't it?
It is a big power capacitor that is used as a power source. I coined the term VirtualDC when I first introduced that process in the TC-7510. The Bushmaster is using an updated revision of that circuit. But more about the subject in due course. I am not sure I got the time and capital to patent it, so that's one reason why I don't want to describe the principle of operation. But it has had a good track record in the TC-7510 and has proven its usefulness in providing a low noise DC power supply. The added advantage of that circuit is that you can use a battery to power the Bushmaster. I posted a picture earlier in this thread where I demonstrated that.

John
18-03-2012, 10:12
I am sure it mentioned before Dave
The sound quality of the Bushmaster is very good indeed and pretty sure it willl challenge a lot of the big boys

Werner Berghofer
18-03-2012, 11:18
John,

The sound quality of the Bushmaster is very good indeed

which other DACs did you use for your comparison?

Werner.

John
18-03-2012, 11:36
I heard a lot of DACs but just heard this in isolation at Stans. It had a lot of resolution

StanleyB
18-03-2012, 11:53
John,

which other DACs did you use for your comparision?

Werner.
I happened to have lent it to a fellow trader, who is registered on AoS as audioflair. He managed to test the Bushmaster against a range of DACs and CD players, before he shipped out the orders for those products used in the comparisons. He wrote a bit about it in this thread.

But don't worry Werner. I shall send you a loan unit to try out once I have the production on the way :). No purchase required on your part as you have been a loyal customer for years.

Werner Berghofer
18-03-2012, 11:55
John,

heard this in isolation at Stans.

I see, thank you for your quick reply. In my opinion direct A/B comparisons are indispensable, especially when trying to notice subtle differences with DACs.

Werner.

Werner Berghofer
18-03-2012, 12:09
Stanley,

I shall send you a loan unit to try out once I have the production on the way

many thanks for this really generous offer, but the third Schiit Bifrost DAC (http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7) already is on the way to my home. It shall replace the last remaining Caiman in my living room’s system. Two days ago I did an A/B comparison, swapping only the DACs, but using the same headphone amplifier and headphones.

Werner.

StanleyB
18-03-2012, 12:10
In my opinion direct A/B comparisons are indispensable, especially when trying to notice subtle differences with DACs.
John had a Gatorized Caiman sitting next to it to compare it with. But first he spent about 6 weeks listening to the Caiman so that he was familiar with its performance, before then comparing it to the Bushmaster.

John
18-03-2012, 12:33
I am just giving a overall view point around the DAC not a comparsion so hence not a detailed response more of a impression
Lets just say I was impressed

alan47
27-03-2012, 18:24
I see the predicted Caiman selling frenzy has started on ebay,ahead of the Bushmaster release.At least half a dozen at last count,getting strong money thou',best get in quick whilst the price holds.Must be mainly those rare people with only one system.:whistle:

roob
27-03-2012, 18:43
I see the predicted Caiman selling frenzy has started on ebay,ahead of the Bushmaster release.At least half a dozen at last count,getting strong money thou',best get in quick whilst the price holds.Must be mainly those rare people with only one system.:whistle:
I can see 2 :scratch:

alan47
27-03-2012, 18:47
I am looking at five ,with two finished.By Caimans i really mean Beresford dac's,by the way.Normally there are none.

Yomanze
27-03-2012, 19:55
Hi Stan, what is the output impedance of the DAC? Will it mate OK with a passive preamp measuring between 16K and 18.5K input impedance?

StanleyB
27-03-2012, 20:08
No further technical details will be released at this time for commercial reasons :).
But with regards to passive amps; I can try it out if you pass round with the preamp. I don't own one of those type of devices so do not know what they can or can't do with a DC coupled signal such as the Bushmaster provides.

jandl100
02-04-2012, 07:15
Hey, it's April, Stan - is my Bushmaster in the post yet? :eyebrows:

... perhaps I can do a pucka review in the Hifi Pig (http://hifipig.com/) webzine. :)

jostber
02-04-2012, 10:27
Is it launched yet?

StanleyB
02-04-2012, 12:14
A few delays right now. But let me not worry you with my problems :). They are not insurmountable and has nothing to do with the DAC itself. I am stil enjoying the two prototypes everyday and discovering a lot more about the way some tracks were recorded.Those drop-in corrections and track overlays were never so clear cut as they are now.

bostod
18-04-2012, 07:12
A few delays right now. But let me not worry you with my problems :). They are not insurmountable and has nothing to do with the DAC itself. I am stil enjoying the two prototypes everyday and discovering a lot more about the way some tracks were recorded.Those drop-in corrections and track overlays were never so clear cut as they are now.

Hi Stan, do you have an update on the Bushmaster. due to my clumsy diy skills i appear to have fried my caiman trying to change a voltage regulator so i have a big hole where your new dac would fit nicely :)

StanleyB
18-04-2012, 08:40
I should have the all clear from the test house this week, which would then give us the authorization to start production based on the submitted samples of the PCB, case, and power supply :). So middle to end of May is the release date.

Puffin
18-04-2012, 13:56
Hi Stan, do you have an update on the Bushmaster. due to my clumsy diy skills i appear to have fried my caiman trying to change a voltage regulator so i have a big hole where your new dac would fit nicely :)

Have you got any pics of what has been fried? Where in the UK are you? Are you looking to fix it or bin it?

Rob.

bostod
20-04-2012, 06:49
Have you got any pics of what has been fried? Where in the UK are you? Are you looking to fix it or bin it?

Rob.

Here is a picture of what happened. i think the new voltage regulator touched the metal casing. if you look behind it, you will notice a fried diode( i think that is what it is). At the moment all that comes out of it is some cracking noise.
Picture removed so not to confuse thread

what would i be looking at to ge tthis fixed?

StanleyB
20-04-2012, 07:01
Guys, that is not a picture of the inside of the Bushmaster DAC. So can I ask you not to confuse this thread. Potential customers might get the wrong impression.

sq225917
20-04-2012, 08:34
Dave, it was probably the New class D reg that fried itself, they tend to do that, not the most stable plug and play regulator design. I had two go in a Wadia ipod dock.

Replace the reg and the part behind it.

MartinT
20-04-2012, 08:59
I put some sticky plastic insulation on the inside of the lid because the Dexa is so tall.

However, as Stan says this is the Bushmaster thread so let's keep it on subject.

StanleyB
20-04-2012, 09:00
Hi Simon, did you see my post above yours?

bostod
20-04-2012, 16:03
Picture removed so not to confuse thread. sorry for that

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 07:13
Whilst going through my long list of suggestions from customers for features missing or hard to find on DACs, I came across one that cropped up a couple of times. One was for the ability to switch off the LEDs on front of a DAC even when the DAC is in operation. The reason for this appears to be that some people find the bright LEDs a bit of a distraction when they are playing music and the DAC is within their field of vision.

I was also asked by a beta tester with a SKY box if it is possible to bypass the DAC's input that has the SKY box connected to it. when the Bushmaster is in the Auto Search mode. The reason appears to be that the SKy box, and many cable boxes, put out a constant signal on their digital audio output. This constant signal prevents the auto search function from finding any other active input.

Any ideas if those features are reasonably important in general?

Mr.Ian
01-05-2012, 07:53
Hi Stan

I for one found the LEDS on the caiman way too bright, cured the problem with some black insulation tape so a dimmer or on off option would be great.

In terms of the sky box Personally I'm not overly bothered about auto switching I doubt if I would use it, indeed I tend to have several things on at the same time.

Mine you if the dac could auto block dd signals instantly ie no pass through what so ever if would be great. Manually switching the sky box to PCM is a pain and even the Mdac that was meant to mute didn't do it quickly enough to prevent nasty noises through the speaker.

MartinT
01-05-2012, 07:58
Not bothered about Sky auto-switching, I tend to switch manually anyway.

Val33
01-05-2012, 08:02
Personally, I would prefer to have no leds and only manual switching.

Val

MartinT
01-05-2012, 08:03
Manually switching the sky box to PCM is a pain

But you only have to do it once :scratch:

DSJR
01-05-2012, 08:05
Instead of piercing blue LED's, could you use a gentler more diffuse LED instead?

When I tarted up my X10-D, the kit came with a soft-tone blue LED to replace the perfectly adequate red one (clear LED when unlit). This faded away after a few weeks and I replaced it with a stock blue one (with extra inline resistor to try to cut it down). Still too bright.

MartinT
01-05-2012, 08:14
Perhaps red is the new blue, and we can go full circle?

Labarum
01-05-2012, 08:40
Some digital clocks adjust their display brightness to suite the ambient lighting. That can't be too expensive to implement.

My Caiman is now behind a door, but I must admit I didn't like those blue lights screaming at me.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-vzfj7rBVebc/T5JSh8Q0RFI/AAAAAAAACF8/Dn7O5O93cmA/s640/IMG_1683.JPG

My principle concern , however, is that the Bushmaster will not drive my power amp which starts with a volume pot.

I am grateful for Stan pointing that out, and look forward to developments.

Mark Grant
01-05-2012, 09:03
I was also asked by a beta tester with a SKY box if it is possible to bypass the DAC's input that has the SKY box connected to it. when the Bushmaster is in the Auto Search mode. The reason appears to be that the SKy box, and many cable boxes, put out a constant signal on their digital audio output. This constant signal prevents the auto search function from finding any other active input.

Any ideas if those features are reasonably important in general?

Sky boxes also have the HDMI output active all the time.
This causes a problem with many automatic HDMI switches.
Quality HDMI switch brands such as Octava get around this by suggesting to connect the always on device to input 1.

The device is programmed so that if input 1 is active to keep scanning the other inputs for a signal.
If signal found on input '3' etc, automatically switch to that and when it drops off then go back to next active input taking into account that input 1 will always be active if it is a sky box.

Hope that helps.

Mr.Ian
01-05-2012, 09:14
My principle concern , however, is that the Bushmaster will not drive my power amp which starts with a volume pot..

Most people on here will have forgotten more about audio electronics that I ever knew, indeed my technical prowess could be detailed on the back of a postage stamp, a small one - what about the volume pot shunt mod which is often mentioned on forums as a way to take the volume pot out of the signal path.

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 09:19
My principle concern , however, is that the Bushmaster will not drive my power amp which starts with a volume pot.
That's not entirely correct.
The Bushmaster is not suitable for use with a volume control that consists of just a set of parallel connected resistors. Those are in the main passive preamps. They are in the main not consistent in their input impedance due to the nature of their design. The Bushmaster has a minimum input impedance requirement of 1K, which some passive preamps seem to ignore at their lowest volume settings.

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 09:33
It so happens that I am the guy who invented the auto scart switch, and then the auto optical and auto HDMI switch, but never made anything from it. Many people have copied the basic operation of my invention over the last 18 odd years, but not really improved on it. The Bushmaster will have some new tricks up its sleeves in the LED and auto search department :eyebrows:.

kininigin
01-05-2012, 09:58
I'm not a big fan of the bright led's on the caiman,i cover them with insulation tape :D

I like what glen croft has done on his amps,having a gentle led that is recessed back from the fascia.I don't know if you could do something like that? It would get my vote!

MartinT
01-05-2012, 10:19
Just run the LEDs on very low current - saves power, looks better, increases life.

RoboCopper
01-05-2012, 10:27
Personally, I would prefer to have no leds and only manual switching.

Val
Agree!
When I build hifi devices for myself I avoid any lights and use simple on/off switch which looks cool and retro, inmho.
Also it does not take any precious electricity which is needed for sound :)

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 10:31
They are already running at 5mA per LED :).
The (progarmmable )LED off function is already part of the features. But I probably won't have time to implement the LED dimming function. It appears to be quite difficult to be able to dim a LED in software.

Martinh
01-05-2012, 11:12
Hi Stan,

I'd like auto switching - if you can do the following, you have my order ( and my congratulations) :)

Input 1:

Optical from apple TV2 box - output comes on when you start playing media and stays on until the TV2 box switches itself off automatically (user selectable delay before auto switch off).

There is no "power off" button. It will only auto power off if the stop button has been pressed or the album has finished playing. If it's streaming radio, it will never auto switch off.

Input 2:

Optical out from Virgin media box. Output goes off when unit is put into standby.

Input 3:

Coax digital out from Marantz DV7600. Output goes off when unit is put into standby.

I'd like it to switch seamlessly between sources - my system is controlled via a harmony remote and devices are switched on and off automatically, depending upon the function required.

Id also like a variable out, but that isn't on the cards is it?

Cheers,

Martin

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 11:47
There is no variable output. That option is something for the future ;).

Val33
01-05-2012, 12:02
Stan

Is it a case of the Bushmaster definitely will not work with a passive pre, or that it might not work with some?

Any thoughts on using an isolation transformer if needed?

Thanks

Val

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 12:07
I can only go by whatever preamps I manage do borrow to test the Bushmaster with, and use that as a guide. But I stand corrected :). No doubt time will throw up a list of passive preamps that have been successfully tested with the Bushmaster by enterprising owners.

Labarum
01-05-2012, 12:24
How do you think the Bushmaster might work into a step attenuator, Stan?

As I understand it the tiny DC offset in the output of the direct coupled Bushmaster is likely to degrade the track of a conventional pot volume control.

If I were to replace the left and right pots at the front of my Pro Power Amp with a switched step attenuator would those fixed resistors bear the tiny current?

I could then, as I do anyway, make adjustments of a few dB using the digital volume control in the Squeezebox, or in software when playing videos.

I rarely adjust the level controls on either the power amp or my Caiman - I live with up to 10dB of digital attenuation.

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 13:16
All active amps will work with the Bushmaster. It's the passive ones that could cause a problem. In an active amplifier the design already caters for an AC signal, with or without a DC component, to the volume control. It's a design rule. So there are no problems with operating the Bushmaster with your amp if you need to plug your amp into the mains before it will work.
But if you have a stand alone volume control pot or passive preamp, it is more than likely not to work properly with the Bushmaster.

Labarum
01-05-2012, 13:52
Stanley - my Quad Pro Amp has a 100k pot between the input socket and the first capacitor in the signal path - it has, is suppose a "passive pre-amp" built in.

I was asking if there is any point in replacing that pot with a step attenuator, using a rotary switch and fixed resistors.

Clive
01-05-2012, 14:00
I have sympathy Stan, there's no absolute rule about whether DC blockers are on inputs or outputs. It's crazy to end up with a capacitor on the output feeding into another at the input.....

As for assuming all powered amps have a DC blocker before the pot, I'm afraid you can't assume this (edit - just seen Brian's post a few mins before mine). One example I know of is the original Musical Fidelity A1, this has the DC blocker following the 50k pot, it's a passive pre feeding a power amp. I expect there will be more modern examples of this poor practice. I should add that anyone with a TVC will need to take care as DC will magnetise these.

StanleyB
01-05-2012, 14:06
The actual DC from the Bushmaster is less than 1mV, which works quite happily with any active amp. But the passive resistive networks could to be clamping the signal to ground on the input side, which upsets the output impedance of the DAC.

Colin151
01-05-2012, 16:55
I should add that anyone with a TVC will need to take care as DC will magnetise these.

Shame. I was hoping to use the Bushmaster with my TVC preamp (that uses Stevens and Billington TX102 transformers, - same as in the Music First TVC preamp). I guess I will have to use one of my active preamps instead. Its a shame as the TVC is the best sounding preamp I've got.

Clive
01-05-2012, 16:58
Shame. I was hoping to use the Bushmaster with my TVC preamp (that uses Stevens and Billington TX102 transformers, - same as in the Music First TVC preamp). I guess I will have to use one of my active preamps instead. Its a shame as the TVC is the best sounding preamp I've got.
If it's less than 1mV then maybe it won't. I would bet that a lot of kit leaks that amount of DC. But I don't know what level it takes to magnetise our S&Bs.

Colin151
01-05-2012, 23:24
If it's less than 1mV then maybe it won't. I would bet that a lot of kit leaks that amount of DC. But I don't know what level it takes to magnetise our S&Bs.

Thanks for that. Better try to find out how much DC it takes to magnetise the TX102!.

seoirse2002
02-05-2012, 00:05
sorry to go off topic...but when can we expect the bushmaster?
I have an itch that needs to be scratched and starting to look around

StanleyB
02-05-2012, 06:00
End of May.

DSJR
02-05-2012, 07:49
Would a 100uF + NP cap (or whatever value is appropriate to the circuit) on the output really wreck the sonics?

Labarum
02-05-2012, 08:57
End of May.

Glad it's immanent.

This is tremendously long thread, are the Bushmaster specs still as declared at it's start?

http://www.theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=263326&postcount=3

StanleyB
02-05-2012, 10:07
Would a 100uF + NP cap (or whatever value is appropriate to the circuit) on the output really wreck the sonics?
What about putting a cap of whatever value between amp and speakers to block any DC offset inherent in amplifiers? Would it have a detrimental value? And has the DC offset voltage from anyone's amp ever demagnetized or magnetized anyone's speakers?

DSJR
02-05-2012, 10:47
Stan, I wasn't trying to bait you, but sometimes, I feel "we" get a bit too anal about things that either make no audible difference in practice, or make such a tiny difference as to not being worth bothering with.

I don't mean to instigate yet another ruck, but coupling caps seem to have come a very long way over the years, valve amps rely on them and my recent experiences of Muse fine gold and BP caps has been nothing less than positive, despite their low cost.

Oh alright, I'm missing the whole point - apologies all :(

StanleyB
02-05-2012, 11:09
Oh alright, I'm missing the whole point
You are not the only one ;).

Clive
02-05-2012, 11:17
What about putting a cap of whatever value between amp and speakers to block any DC offset inherent in amplifiers? Would it have a detrimental value? And has the DC offset voltage from anyone's amp ever demagnetized or magnetized anyone's speakers?
For sure I doubt that <1mV will magnetise a TVC but I don't know 100%. Had it been 500mV then probably it would be a problem.

StanleyB
02-05-2012, 11:40
This is tremendously long thread, are the Bushmaster specs still as declared at it's start?
Only a couple. Frequency response is now from DC instead of 0Hz. I left out the self leveling feet. And the price is still not finalized. I won't know that till we have had all the invoices from the various sub-contractors who are doing the case etc. for me. But whatever happens, nobody will have to pay more than £200 to get one delivered via a regular postal or courier service, no matter where in the world they are.

icehockeyboy
02-05-2012, 11:49
Only a couple. Frequency response is now from DC instead of 0Hz. I left out the self leveling feet. And the price is still not finalized. I won't know that till we have had all the invoices from the various sub-contractors who are doing the case etc. for me. But whatever happens, nobody will have to pay more than £200 to get one delivered via a regular postal or courier service, no matter where in the world they are.

Your'e charging £200 for delivery????????????

It's ok Stan, it's just the way your post seems to say that! :lol:

StanleyB
02-05-2012, 11:57
Your'e charging £200 for delivery????????????
But you do get a free Bushmaster DAC included in the price :D.

icehockeyboy
02-05-2012, 11:58

Well if you had said that in the first place! :eek::ner::lol:

StanleyB
02-05-2012, 16:00
Brian, there was a time when I followed the accepted convention and went along with whatever design recommendations engineers far smarter than me would dish up on a plate for all of us to take in as the only solution. But times have changed and I started developing my own alternative views on how to get more bangs for bucks. The Bushmaster is not something that I just knocked up in my shed overnight. I have been working with various international IC manufacturers for several years now in order to see what can be achieved with their components in my design. Now that I have a recognized presence in the market, I have access to a lot more info and R&D assistance from some component manufacturers.
The DC output from the DAC chip is irrelevant in the case of the Bushmaster. The IC had been specially designed, tested, and certified by the manufacturer for just that purpose and has been used successfully in some extremely expensive kits in the same configuration. Additionally, I have had beta testers test out the Bushmaster on a wide range of kits in order to satisfy myself of the soundness of the design.
So whatever other path DAC manufacturers are following or not following is of no concern to me. I put my trust in the component manufacturers, who developed the parts for use in the same configuration that I am using them in.
To think otherwise is pure speculation on your part, or you have been badly informed on some other forum.

Gazjam
02-05-2012, 17:13
Think of how good the Caiman is...

Stan made that.
At £200 I'm sure the Bushmaster will be WAY better than any other £200 Dac out there ;)

(...and the rest)

DSJR
02-05-2012, 17:59
I'm sure it's going to be great - and I'm well aware from elsewhere how modern chipsets have moved on in recent years ;) When I look at the extreme complexity of my own CD player with "miles" of wiring and loads of components in both digital and analogue domains, I really wonder how all this fudging made the CD94 based players sound any good at all :scratch:

Gazjam
02-05-2012, 18:43
'tis true...
Rega Dac/Mdac comparisons will be the proof of the pudding I guess....

Have faith in Stan, sure it'll be a cracker.

AndrewR
04-05-2012, 12:33

I can collect :lol:

Andrew

Labarum
04-05-2012, 12:34
I can collect :lol:

Andrew

Yea. Stan has a tollgate.

loonytunes
06-05-2012, 08:56
Think of how good the Caiman is...

Stan made that.
At £200 I'm sure the Bushmaster will be WAY better than any other £200 Dac out there ;)

(...and the rest)

I'm sure it's going to be great - and I'm well aware from elsewhere how modern chipsets have moved on in recent years ;) When I look at the extreme complexity of my own CD player with "miles" of wiring and loads of components in both digital and analogue domains, I really wonder how all this fudging made the CD94 based players sound any good at all :scratch:

Chipsets may have moved on but I was shocked last night when I heard an old Philips CD610 MKII sound as good as it did! Now I've auditioned in my home the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 and Burson HA-160D - and I would challenge anyone if they could clearly hear the difference in an A/B demo between either of those two and the budget Philips CD player from the late 80's; it's quite disturbingly good. Hence perhaps my inclination to buy a cheaper but well designed DAC like the forthcoming Bushmaster and save my money to put towards speakers and amps where sound differences are far more obvious!

Shutdown98
17-05-2012, 17:37
This sounds very promising :-)
At this point i own a Caiman with a Gator upgrade. At first i used the variable output to my Bryston B60 sst amp. At some point i changed to the fixed output and used the Bryston pre-amp. That was for the better.
In combination with a SBT (coax output) i do not use the usb-input no more...
So the bushmaster has no variable output and no usb input. Could be very nice for me!

The Grand Wazoo
17-05-2012, 18:15
Hi Remco,
It's always nice to see new members on AoS, but would you mind having a read of this (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17333) please & then following the suggestion it makes?

Shutdown98
17-05-2012, 18:47
Offcourse!
And so i did :-)

DSJR
17-05-2012, 20:47
Chipsets may have moved on but I was shocked last night when I heard an old Philips CD610 MKII sound as good as it did!

Oh I think 1988 could do a lot better than the CD610/620/630 series :) But you're right, the main differences here were in better power supplies, the output stage and the muck being properly isolated from stage to stage within. Sometimes, this cost a fair bit extra..

RochaCullen
18-05-2012, 15:21
Come on the end of May!!!

RoboCopper
20-05-2012, 14:02
Come on the end of May!!!

Yes, I could come this weekend to Wembley to Q. :D

Hope to see you Stan

aBe
21-05-2012, 03:15
I am cutting out Marlboros and Walkers at this moment to save up for the Bushman. :D

RoboCopper
21-05-2012, 06:39
Morning,
I have already saved for BM, only need to buy a travelcard and visit Wembley one of the weekends :eyebrows:
Hopefully this coming one.

jandl100
21-05-2012, 06:46
I am cutting out Marlboros and Walkers at this moment to save up for the Bushman. :D

Hey - I knew it! :thumbsup:

Beresford kit not only sounds great it's also good for your health! :eyebrows:

StanleyB
21-05-2012, 19:33
I am experiencing a bit of a delay with the case (I'll spare you the details), but hope to know later this week how we are on the availability schedule.

In the mean time, here is a teaser shot of one colour code experiment.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/images/TC-7530/Side%20view2.jpg

MartinT
21-05-2012, 19:43
Can't say I really give a damn about the colour, Stan :)

However, thanks for the tease.

synsei
21-05-2012, 21:06
Stan, my good lady says she wants a pink one... :lol:

pumpkineater23
21-05-2012, 21:23
I am experiencing a bit of a delay with the case (I'll spare you the details), but hope to know later this week how we are on the availability schedule.

In the mean time, here is a teaser shot of one colour code experiment.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/images/TC-7530/Side%20view2.jpg

Looks like a Quad 34 from the side.

walpurgis
21-05-2012, 21:29
Not sure if that was a complement.

RoboCopper
21-05-2012, 21:31
IMHO, Quad components I like to watch and own. For example Quad 405 is second best by looks after Aleph 5 or 3. I hope it looks like Quad.

walpurgis
21-05-2012, 21:35
Aleph 3 wins it. Looks amazing!

pumpkineater23
21-05-2012, 22:28
Not sure if that was a complement.

Just an observation really, although the Quad 34 is an aesthetically pleasing preamp. Aesthetically pleasing preamp.. that is almost a tongue twister.

StanleyB
23-05-2012, 08:50
I received final confirmation that the Bushmaster will be with me in the 2nd week of June. So put that in your diary :).

jandl100
23-05-2012, 08:53
With the level of expectation you've built up, this had better be good, Stan! :lol:

... I can't wait to get mine. :drool:

RochaCullen
23-05-2012, 09:43
I received final confirmation that the Bushmaster will be with me in the 2nd week of June. So put that in your diary :).

Any more teaser pics stan? :stalks:

StanleyB
23-05-2012, 10:17
Next week :).

loonytunes
23-05-2012, 18:00
Stan - you must have heard the other well anticipated and then well overdue but now in production MDAC?

Having hopefully experienced the MDAC by now so you know what you are up against, does yours 'best' the MDAC? Which in turn was supposed to best £10,000 digital players (and so it goes on)...?

Val33
23-05-2012, 18:30
Hi Stan

Are you taking orders yet?

Just want to make sure that I can secure one from the first batch :)

thanks

Val

DaveK
23-05-2012, 18:44
Stan ........
Having hopefully experienced the MDAC by now so you know what you are up against, does yours 'best' the MDAC? Which in turn was supposed to best £10,000 digital players (and so it goes on)...?

Not being cheeky but what sort of response do you expect Stan to make to that question? ;) .
Dave

Reid Malenfant
23-05-2012, 18:49
Not being cheeky but what sort of response do you expect Stan to make to that question? ;) .
Dave
Perhaps he might ask to see where the MDac was apparently going to equal or better £10,000 silver disc spinners :lol:

Even I'd be interested in seeing that :)

Clive
23-05-2012, 19:30
Most of the Sabre DACs seem a touch of the bright side, it's not an overall brightness and it's hard to pin down the exact sound but there's a character that won't suit everyone. Neutral they are not but to be fair I've not heard an MDAC so their sound is heresay as far as I'm concerned.

StanleyB
23-05-2012, 19:54
Stan - you must have heard the other well anticipated and then well overdue but now in production MDAC?

There is always the personal opinion, and the general consent. My personal opinion is that it is my best effort so far. Is it better than the MDAC? It certainly hasn't got most of the features of the MDAC. But I assume you are primarily interested in the audio reproduction side of things. Well let me put it this way, without appearing to be biased in favour of my own product: I am convinced that the Bushmaster will set a new standard in audio reproduction from a stand alone DAC. And price doesn't even come into it. I listened and read all that I could that DAC owners complained about in the various DACs that they had bought. From sloppy bass to harsh treble, or lack of separation between vocals or the different instruments. From metallic sounding pianos and violins to muddled guitar strings: I set about finding the reason for the decease, as I saw it, and the cure that I found to be the most practical and consistent. My biggest challenge was actually trying to understand the real reason why mp3 sounded so harsh in the mids and tops, and why headphones with large diameter voice coils sounded either weak or sloppy in the bass. Once I had come to a conclusion on those things, based on years of testing and circuit building, I put together a number of mods for my range of existing DACs. Then I released those mods as "open source" so that people could independently reproduce some of my results and see if they had arrived at the same conclusion as me. It was basically a field trial of various parts (that could be the making of a new DAC) on a grand scale, whilst at the same time improving the existing DACs at a relatively modest cost for existing owners. Once the results started coming in, I filtered out the bad ideas from the good ones and put it into a DAC circuit that wouldn't cost the earth to build and ship to anywhere in the world.
Whether the MDAC needs to be 3 times more expensive than the Bushmaster in order to be better, or whether the Bushmaster is better at a third of the price of the MDAC is not for me to decide. The Jury has also not yet been selected, but the trial date is not far off now :).

StanleyB
23-05-2012, 19:59
Hi Stan

Are you taking orders yet?

Just want to make sure that I can secure one from the first batch :)

thanks

Val
There is a waiting list. Send me an email (NOT PM!!) and I shall put you on the list. Those at the top get first refusal, and only after I have got to the bottom of that list will the Bushmaster go up on my site for everyone else to purchase. It's the fairest and most honest way I could come up with.

magiccarpetride
23-05-2012, 22:33
There is a waiting list. Send me an email (NOT PM!!) and I shall put you on the list. Those at the top get first refusal, and only after I have got to the bottom of that list will the Bushmaster go up on my site for everyone else to purchase. It's the fairest and most honest way I could come up with.

You just made my day, Stan, as I believe I'm fairly high on your list:) Boy, I'm salivating!

Gazjam
26-05-2012, 12:06
The "fully passive" aspect of the Bushmaster is a different approach to other dacs from what I can see.

I've only found one other dac that has this (assuming its a similar thing?) the Metrum Octave - but its £700!
This dac gets praise in reviews for its "analogue" sound, like NOS dacs (which it is) without the top and bottom end rolled off.
Summit to do with choice of Dac chip or something....
This seemed very similar to the comments made by the guys who have heard the Bushmaster already?

If Stan get get close to this for under the £200 price mark its gonna be a killer methinks...
Early reviews will be interesting!

MartinT
26-05-2012, 12:54
Stan - one question I don't think I've seen the answer to: will the passive outputs drive 10k inputs? In other words, is there a little grunt behind them?

jandl100
26-05-2012, 17:51
The "fully passive" aspect of the Bushmaster is a different approach to other dacs from what I can see.

I've only found one other dac that has this (assuming its a similar thing?) the Metrum Octave - but its £700! ..

Hmm, yes, interesting.

I've just done a review (http://hifipig.com/neko-audio-d100-dac/#more-2277) for Hifi Pig of the Neko D100 DAC - that has a passive output stage using Jensen output transformers. It was good, but did suffer a bit from lack of drive with large scale music.

StanleyB
27-05-2012, 06:10
Stan - one question I don't think I've seen the answer to: will the passive outputs drive 10k inputs? In other words, is there a little grunt behind them?
The DAC can handle amplifiers that have an input impedance of 1K or higher.
As for grunt: I haven't noticed any lack of that in my system. But no doubt when the Bushmaster is used by more and more people, we'll get a far wider bunch of data to work from.

The planned add-on upgrade box with variable output will however have a very low output impedance that will be suitable for even the most demanding power amps. The problem that I face however is whether the cost of the add-on box will be an economical option for those who need a variable output. I am guessing on the price at this stage, but assuming it costs an extra £100 for the add-on box, such an upgrade would have to be worth the extra outlay in order for it to sell in sufficient quantity and justify its development and production. Ideally I would have liked to just add the variable stage onto the Bushmaster PCB, but this would have raised the cost of the DAC and burden potential buyers with an unneeded function for which they still had to pay. It looked to me like robbing Peter but not paying Paul, so to speak.

It's a tricky one for me, so any "for" and "against" opinions on the add-on box would be most welcome.

Val33
27-05-2012, 09:50
I'd be quite happy with an add on box if my preamp won't play nicely with the Bushmaster.

It would be great if it had a couple of analogue inputs available too, then for most people it could replace their pre.

Val

jandl100
27-05-2012, 09:54
It would be great if it had a couple of analogue inputs available too, then for most people it could replace their pre.

Val

That sounds like a good idea to me, although extra switchery would doubtless increase the cost and extend the development time.

DSJR
27-05-2012, 11:53
Why not turn the add-on box into a simple preamp-line driver, with say three inputs and a variable output (one or two sets of phonos as appropriate), selling for under £200 and able to drive remote power amps? Not what you had in mind, but may be ideal for the growing market in small active speakers out there, which at the lower end of the market should be encouraged I think :)

Gazjam
27-05-2012, 17:08
Hmm, yes, interesting.

I've just done a review (http://hifipig.com/neko-audio-d100-dac/#more-2277) for Hifi Pig of the Neko D100 DAC - that has a passive output stage using Jensen output transformers. It was good, but did suffer a bit from lack of drive with large scale music.

Good review Jerry :cool:

MartinT
27-05-2012, 18:33
It's a tricky one for me, so any "for" and "against" opinions on the add-on box would be most welcome.

For me, I'm happy with fixed passive outputs now that I know what they will drive. I have no use for variable outputs.

synsei
27-05-2012, 19:08

Here's my opinion on this Stan for what it's worth. The Bushmaster is what it is. You have budgeted for it to sell at a particular price point and there it must remain unmolested in my book. You have already had to revise the price upwards from where you originally intended to pitch it thus bringing it close to the Caiman. You have also stated that you intend to develop a more upmarket version of the Bushmaster later on which will incorporate variable outputs. You need to determine what the retail price of this unit will be in comparison with a Bushmaster plus add-on because it may not make economic sense.

One idea which might give you some wriggle room would be to incorporate balanced inputs and outputs on the more expensive DAC. This would mean you could pitch it at around the 400 quid mark consequently allowing you to offer the Bushmaster and Add-on together for around 300 pounds retail. (my retail figures are estimates of course)

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 06:35
Thanks very much for all the inputs guys. It has been very useful.

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 13:30
http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/7530DC-F900.jpg

Unlike the cheap and cheerful two piece case from my previous DACs, the Bushmaster is made out of precision laser cut panels. The holes are then individually burred out into a cup shape. This process is a lot more expensive and really reserved for one off proto types or expensive high-end stuff. But as promised last year, I intended to launch a statement DAC. It is a minor statement, but hopefully it is good enough to demonstrate that Bushmaster owners are not buying a budget DAC. It will take a lot more than what I charge for anyone else to produce something of a similar quality and finish:).

MartinT
28-05-2012, 13:35
Looking nice, Stan.

jandl100
28-05-2012, 13:41
Lovely stuff, Stan ... there's a space on my hifi kit shelves just waiting .... :drool:

Welder
28-05-2012, 13:55
Looks nice Stan. My preference would be without the gold effect trim.

seoirse2002
28-05-2012, 14:01
+1

Werner Berghofer
28-05-2012, 16:01
Stan,

what was the reason for the international English way of writing „Digital to Analog Converter“? I think in Great Britain the variant „Analogue“ is used. At least that’s the way it was spelled on your former two DAC models.

Just curious,

Werner.

Covenant
28-05-2012, 16:15
Looks nice Stan. My preference would be without the gold effect trim.

+1

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 16:21
My preference would be without the gold effect trim.
It's a tribute to the London 2012 games ;). I shall try silver and bronze later.

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 16:28
Stan,

what was the reason for the international English way of writing „Digital to Analog Converter“? I think in Great Britain the variant „Analogue“ is used. At least that’s the way it was spelled on your former two DAC models.

The printers couldn't get the bottom print any smaller and still get the top and bottom to align. It looked a bit wonky with the extra lettering so I made the decision to use the American spelling this time. But because the process is not a mass produced one I have enough leeway to make suitable adjustment down the line. I am also trialing a brushed aluminium fascia with laser cut lettering. They both cost more to make. The brushed aluminium needs a special coating so that it doesn't oxidize over time.

synsei
28-05-2012, 16:29
Looking very classy Stan, I wants it p-p-precious!!! :D

pumpkineater23
28-05-2012, 16:36

Unlike the cheap and cheerful two piece case from my previous DACs, the Bushmaster is made out of precision laser cut panels. The holes are then individually burred out into a cup shape. This process is a lot more expensive and really reserved for one off proto types or expensive high-end stuff. But as promised last year, I intended to launch a statement DAC. It is a minor statement, but hopefully it is good enough to demonstrate that Bushmaster owners are not buying a budget DAC. It will take a lot more than what I charge for anyone else to produce something of a similar quality and finish:).

Great job on the design - solid and sexy looking. Maybe a thin tinted transparent plastic trim instead of the gold trim around the volume control and blue LED lighting the trim from behind would be cool, and practical I think.

I am fully willing to pay the extra for variable out. Slightly gutted, if I'm honest, that the first ones will be fixed only.

kininigin
28-05-2012, 16:38
Is there a planned release date and price yet?

Looking good by the way stan,the next big upgrade for the digital side of things for me,will be the dac.This has all the features i need,hope it can do the business!!

I look forward to everyones's opinions on it when it is released!!

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 17:14
Great job on the design - solid and sexy looking. Maybe a thin tinted transparent plastic trim instead of the gold trim around the volume control and blue LED lighting the trim from behind would be cool, and practical I think.
I tried that but the Bushmaster is a very quiet DAC. With the LED in the volume control knob switched ON, the LED noise could be heard in the background. Very low level, but maybe not OK for some/many. I shall keep experimenting though and implement it of I can find a better solution.
The plastic trim would have to be custom made from a molding. The mold maker wants U$6000 for that....

I am fully willing to pay the extra for variable out. Slightly gutted, if I'm honest, that the first ones will be fixed only.
I am working on a variable output version that has one of the lowest output impedance of any DAC on the market. It is designed to drive longer cable runs such as the ones I have seen on a set of wall mounted active speakers.
But I am also working on a add-on box that is intended to have options for USB, MC/MM phono, etc. slot in cards.

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 17:21
Is there a planned release date and price yet?

Barring any mishaps in the currency exchange, you are looking at £149.99 excluding VAT and delivery. That will be rounded down to £189.99 delivered to the UK, or £194.99 to other EU countries. I am hoping that at that price it will drift under the radar as a budget DAC and not attract too much attention from the more expensive offerings until it is too late :eyebrows:.

kininigin
28-05-2012, 17:31
OOOhhhhhh that's tempting at that price!!

I was going to wait till around christmas to get something,lets see how long i hold out for :eyebrows:

I assume there's a waiting list?

synsei
28-05-2012, 17:33
I am working on a variable output version that has one of the lowest output impedance of any DAC on the market. It is designed to drive longer cable runs such as the ones I have seen on a set of wall mounted active speakers.
But I am also working on a add-on box that is intended to have options for USB, MC/MM phono, etc. slot in cards.

To keep everything within budget it would be counter-productive to add more bling to the Bushmaster, it looks fabulous just the way it is. Silver rather than gold highlights might be the way to go Stan as I guess this would be cheaper to implement (just a matter of machining the base material I suspect). It's none of my business what your profit margin is per unit but as it will be selling at the lower end of the market it would be inadvisable to mess around with the cosmetics at this stage for economic reasons.

Slot in cards for the add-on box is a great idea ;)

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 17:34
I was reading about the current output capability of a certain highly regarded DAC, which was quoted at about 130mA. The Bushmaster was designed to be used as a digital headamp capable of driving even difficult loads like the K701 and HD800 with ease and confidence that would put many stand alone headamps to shame. It has a massive 500mA headphone output drive capability, which can deliver and hold bass frequencies below 30Hz in headphones that are capable of producing such low frequencies. With some headphones quoting frequency capabilities as low as 5Hz, the Bushmaster with its low frequency ability all the way down to DC had to have a credible solution for these low bass capable headphones.

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 17:44
It's none of my business what your profit margin is per unit but as it will be selling at the lower end of the market it would be financially inadvisable to mess around with the cosmetics at this stage.
I make very little. The cost of the various parts alone is more than 50% of my selling price.
But as my sales are factory fresh I can afford to make a margin that retailers would consider far too low for them to make a living from. It is a deliberate ploy by me to offer maximum bangs for bucks. Realistically speaking, you would have to pay £250 to £300 if you had to buy it from a hifi shop.

synsei
28-05-2012, 17:48
Which is absolutely fine Stan. By the way, that wasn't a criticism more a comment on the cost of additional bling which is being requested by some... ;)

StanleyB
28-05-2012, 17:54
Which is absolutely fine Stan. By the way, that wasn't a criticism more a comment on the cost of additional bling which is being requested by some... ;)
It's forward thinking. Once the initial development and production cost have been amortized over a period of time or through brisk sales, it becomes possible to drop the price or add extra features without increasing the price. The variable output circuit itself would only cost an extra £20 to £30 (including VAT) to have implemented from scratch. But that would have taken the total price over the £200 bracket, and that might be a red line for many people.

synsei
28-05-2012, 17:58
Fair enough... :)

May I just say that I think you have done an excellent job here and I am looking forward to hearing one at some point with a view to buy :D

My partner is still insistent that she wants one in pink... :lol:

Werner Berghofer
28-05-2012, 18:23
Stan,

The Bushmaster was designed to be used as a digital headamp capable of driving even difficult loads like the K701 and HD800 with ease and confidence that would put many stand alone headamps to shame.

you see, I really don’t want to tear open old wounds, but I fear this is exactly the kind of bold statement that could make it difficult for you to establish and maintain a good reputation in the growing and important market of headphone aficionados. Anybody who’s into serious headphone listening is pretty aware that a DAC with an integraded headphone jack is in a completely different league than a true, stand-alone headphone amplifier.

Werner.

synsei
28-05-2012, 18:34
No disrespect meant Werner, but maybe such statements are best left until you have heard one for yourself... ;)

Mr.Ian
28-05-2012, 18:44

Personally I think this looks rather good, a clear improvement on the two tone version posted earlier. I quite like the gold too.

Werner Berghofer
28-05-2012, 18:54
Dave,

but maybe such statements are best left until you have heard one for yourself

that’s very true, but after purchasing overall five DACs from two different generations of Stan’s products (TC-7520 and gatorized Caiman) and comparing their performance to a stand-alone headphone amplifier, I fear I’ve lost the trust. With every new incarnation of Stan’s DACs it was promised that the headphone performance now really would be improved, but after trying a dedicated headphone amp I eventually found something better meeting my expectations.

I do know that my current combination of stand-alone DACs and headphone amplifiers is more expensive than Stan’s integrated, all-in-one products, but anyone using AKG K701/702 or Sennheiser HD 800 headphones expects certain levels of performance and probably might be disappointed. Let’s hope and wait for the Bushmaster.

Werner.

synsei
28-05-2012, 19:03
Dave,

that’s very true, but after purchasing five DACs from two different generations of Stan’s products (TC-7520 and gatorized Caiman) and comparing their performance to a stand-alone headphone amplifier, I fear I’ve lost the trust.

I know that my current combination of stand-alone DACs and headphone amplifiers is more expensive than Stan’s products, but anyone using AKG K701/702 or Sennheiser HD 800 headphones expects certain levels of performance and might be disappointed.

Werner.

That maybe so, or it may not but either way Stan has developed a product that in his estimation will outperform most if not all products at the Bushmasters target price and a fair few higher up the ladder. Also, not everyone has the wonga to spend on a separate DAC and headphone amp, so if the Bushmaster DAC fulfils what is promised then there are going to be many happy customers and some seriously startled major players :cool:

You said it yourself Werner, the products you have purchased are not the Bushmasters natural competitors so therefore if the head amp performance is just a few percent off then the target customer is going to be satisfied and VFM is guaranteed... ;)

DaveK
28-05-2012, 21:03
Hi Stan,
Just out of interest, 'cos I don't think I'm in the market for a Bushmaster myself ATM (but that may change when the reviews start coming in :lol: ), are you able to offer AoS members and/or previous customers any discount as you have been able to do with your earlier DACs? I appreciate times are difficult for most of us and you have made us aware of what a good price it is as it now stands and why, but I just thought I'd ask ;) .
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before :) .
Good luck with the launch, you deserve it!
Dave.

jandl100
28-05-2012, 21:50
Mmm - that gold trim will match nicely with my slightly blingy MBL speakers. :thumbsup:

The Vinyl Adventure
28-05-2012, 22:03
Looking good Stan!

Spectral Morn
28-05-2012, 22:15
Personally I think this looks rather good, a clear improvement on the two tone version posted earlier. I quite like the gold too.

That looks fantastic Stan

StanleyB
29-05-2012, 07:08
Thanks for the heads up guys :). But looking at some of the comments, it seems that the first DIY topic on the Busmaster will be titled "How to mod your Bushmaster's front panel" :lol:.

MartinT
29-05-2012, 07:18
Stan, what voltage will the Bushmaster run from? Will I be able to use my 16V Paul Hynes PSU?

jandl100
29-05-2012, 07:26
Thanks for the heads up guys :). But looking at some of the comments, it seems that the first DIY topic on the Busmaster will be titled "How to mod your Bushmaster's front panel" :lol:.

Yep - a bit more blingy gold for me, Stan! :lol:

StanleyB
29-05-2012, 07:42
It will be 12V. I have been using mine with a couple of 15V power supplies such as the ones from Lurcher (Nick) as sold by Mains Cable R US, and also the 12V and 15V ones from Mark Grant. So the 16V one from Paul should be fine. But note that the Bushmaster uses the external power supply as a charger. There are high and low frequency power supply filter networks in the power supply section inside the DAC. The incoming supply is stored by a large cap, which has been wired up to simulate a quick acting rechargeable battery. I couldn't hear or measure any noise drop with any alternative external mains connected power supply. But the power supply filter from Mark Grant, or the 12V Li-ion battery pack that I mentioned some months ago, were the only two items I could find that made a noticeable improvement on my systems.

MartinT
29-05-2012, 07:50
Thanks, Stan.

The Vinyl Adventure
29-05-2012, 10:05
Why not offer a "stealth" front pannel
No text, plain black knob, black select button

that way no one can moan...

I had guessed that your analog issue might have been to do with the size of the text ... that would also be "solved" ...

Its funny actually ... id never noticed before, but the caiman all of a sudden seems too wide for the desk, you see how the headphones are being pushed off the side and there is a lot of dead space in front of it ... I just dont think it is right for me any more ... i need something that is less wide but maybe a bit deeper ;)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/258f39d3.jpg

MartinT
29-05-2012, 10:37
i need something that is less wide but maybe a bit deeper

LOL - give all the justification you need, Hamish. I don't think any of us *need* one, it's a case of *want* :)

webby
29-05-2012, 11:48

Personally, I would do something with the lettering on the fascia. The emblems on the inputs are a little busy. Perhaps T1 T2 C1 and C2 would suffice?

Also, the headphone socket may be better labeled with a headphone icon.

I see no need for it to say Digital to Analog Converter. Why not just DAC? Perhaps then you could fit Bushmaster DAC on one line?

Also, everything seems to be in line on a horizontal plane except the select switch. I assume there is physical reason for this.

MartinT
29-05-2012, 12:46
Just thinking, Stan, isn't 'Toslink' a proprietary name? Wouldn't you be better off calling them Optical (in line with Coaxial) which defines the input type and avoids a potential demand for compensation should Toshiba ever want to get funny?

Gazjam
29-05-2012, 15:17
Looks Good Stan
Have to agree with above though Re: lettering, looks a bit busy?

Just for fun, a quick Photoshop. :)

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7504/bushmaster2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/bushmaster2.jpg/)

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2340/bushmaster3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/bushmaster3.jpg/)

Werner Berghofer
29-05-2012, 16:16
Lee,

Personally, I would do something with the lettering on the fascia

indeed, there’s a lot to be done. Replace “Power” with “On/Off”, “Select” with “Input” and “Toslink” with “Optical”. All these designations need to be horizontally aligned on a common baseline, no type rotation should be used. The golden accentuation on the volume control feels cheap. Why are the LEDs differently coloured? Do the input LEDs really need to be numbered? The “Beresford” logo in the top left corner looks outdated and old fashioned, and the variant used on the photo of the prototype shown here does not match the original “Beresford” logo.

The appearance of this box gives me the impression this might be the result of an ambitioned DIY hardware technician trying to place the required holes on the front plate. This certainly is not a professional industrial designer’s work.

Maybe this device does sound good, but does it really have to look that ugly?

Werner.

Gazjam
29-05-2012, 16:17
Opinions vary Werner :)

I had noticed the Beresford logo had changed as well though?
Must admit I'd lose the bling myself, including the gold input button.
Could look good shined black to match the Power button?
The gloss black controls and "corner bolts" if all black would contrast nicely with the "off black" colour of the case.
(Like the black Cambridge Audio kit?)

Rather than the "bling" headamp volume pot, how about plain black with a gloss black "dot" to match the corner bolts?
This (and the above) are subtle changes that might add to the design in making it "feel" a bit more upmarket.
The current volume is like a gold version of that on the Rega Brio-R amp, which works in that context due to the simplicity of the design elsewhere.

Just some friendly observations Stan, feel free to ignore! :)

Barry
29-05-2012, 16:21
Why not offer a "stealth" front pannel
No text, plain black knob, black select button

that way no one can moan...

I had guessed that your analog issue might have been to do with the size of the text ... that would also be "solved" ...

Its funny actually ... id never noticed before, but the caiman all of a sudden seems too wide for the desk, you see how the headphones are being pushed off the side and there is a lot of dead space in front of it ... I just dont think it is right for me any more ... i need something that is less wide but maybe a bit deeper ;)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/258f39d3.jpg

A "stealth" model !!?

Why not go the whole hog and remove the LEDs along with all the legends. Then you could call it the Beresford "Zen"! :lol:

Sorry - I'm being facetious. I would prefer to see the input designation and switching to remain the same as the 7520. I think the Beresford logo might do with being a little more stylish - a change of font maybe?

I loath 'bling' so would prefer a plain black knob.

Regards

[Nice Voigtlander camera peeping round the corner - I nearly bought one 45 years ago!]

magiccarpetride
29-05-2012, 16:22
Lee,

indeed, there’s a lot to be done. Replace “Power” with “On/Off”, “Select” with “Input” and “Toslink” with “Optical”. All these designations need to be horizontally aligned on a common baseline, no type rotation should be used. The golden accentuation on the volume control feels cheap. The “Beresford” logo looks outdated and old fashioned, and the variant used on the photo of the prototype shown here does not match the original “Beresford” logo.

The appearance of this box gives me the impression this might be the result of an ambitioned DIY hardware technician trying to place the required holes on the front plate. This certainly is not a professional industrial designer’s work.

Maybe this products does sound good, but does it really need to look that ugly?

Werner.

If Bushmaster sounds as good as Stan is implying, I wouldn't mind even if it shipped with Adolf Hitler's ugly mug plastered on the front panel.

Gazjam
29-05-2012, 16:32
Only a matter of time on Internet forums before someone compares something to Hitler, nice one Alex! :)

It looks fine Stan, an evolution I guess of the Caiman look, which is no bad thing if you want to keep Brand Identity.

NRG
29-05-2012, 16:43
Flippin' 'eck, everyones a critic and an 'expert' to boot...it looks fine as it is Stan, I like to listen to my Hi-Fi rather than admire it from the arm chair... :eyebrows:

webby
29-05-2012, 16:51
Looks Good Stan

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/7504/bushmaster2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/bushmaster2.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)IMO, what you've done there gaz has made subtle but significant improvements.

Well done.

Werner Berghofer
29-05-2012, 16:53
Gary,

no bad thing if you want to keep Brand Identity.

right, but this certainly would work much better if the original “Beresford” logo was used in an unaltered way.

Werner.

Werner Berghofer
29-05-2012, 16:58
Neal,

everyones a critic and an 'expert' to boot

I have been in the graphic design, advertising, typesetting and publishing business since 1978. And I appreciate if the audio equipment I use not only sounds good, but is easy on the eye.

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/gear/headfun.jpg

What do you think is the reason a profession like Industrial Designer even exists?

Werner.

Tim
29-05-2012, 17:09
What do you think is the reason a profession like Industrial Designer even exists?
Agreed Werner and a large part of the reason for Apples success are Jonathan Ive's designs (sorry Sir Jonathan) - good design can make or break a product ;)

Gazjam
29-05-2012, 17:17
Werner

Neal,

I have been in the graphic design, advertising, typesetting and publishing business since 1978. And I appreciate if the audio equipment I use not only sounds good, but is easy on the eye. What do you think is the reason a profession like Industrial Designer even exists?

Werner.

Opinions vary remember?
Some much loved kit is as ugly as sin, but other opinions think it looks great.

Its all opinion, your just stating yours :)
No absolutes when it comes to the aesthetic.

Gazjam
29-05-2012, 17:24
A profession like an Industrial Designer does not come cheap. I've worked in the Industry too.
Hifi is notorious for adding extra bling and adding £00's on to the final cost.

Different market sectors have different priorities, Stans is giving us plebs best bang for buck.

Werner
He's bringing out a new Dac and you've liked (and bought) many of his previous products, lets not condemn it before the new one is even out? :)

with respect,
Gaz.

Beechwoods
29-05-2012, 17:40
I think it looks great. Should have held off getting my Caiman! It definitely looks like a statement piece Stan.

StanleyB
29-05-2012, 17:42
Thanks for all the helpful comments and pointers with regards to improving the appearance of the printing on the front fascia :). I shall take note of the various suggestions and discuss with the printers about implementing the changes that are the most popular and easiest to execute. This will take some time of course, so don't expect any of them to be available overnight.

Werner Berghofer
29-05-2012, 18:47
Gary,

lets not condemn it before the new one is even out?

I can’t speak neither about the DAC nor about the headphone section, I have no idea how they perform. What I do here is expressing my opinion about the design, typographic details, shape of the buttons and differently coloured LEDs as shown on the prototype’s photo Stan published here.

Of course there are no absolutes when it comes to the aesthetic, but I think “Less is more” is a pretty good design principle.

Werner.

Mr.Ian
29-05-2012, 18:48
A
Hifi is notorious for adding extra bling and adding £00's on to the final cost.

Like gold plating to the 4 bolts on the facia :mental:

DaveK
29-05-2012, 19:17
If you guys will just permit me to put my oar in here, let's not forget that Werner is doing us the favour of communicating with us in what is to him a foreign language. Therefore his comments may not be said with the same choice of words that we 'natives' may use, which, when not allowed for, might put a different 'tone' on the message to the one that was intended.
IMHO Werner's opinions on audio matters are widely respected on AoS and, given his background, his opinions on the design of audio equipment should be treated with the same respect. Just consider what any Industrial Design Consultant (with probably less relevant experience than Werner) would charge for the opinion Werner offered for free.
As with all advice, Stan is free to use it or not, as he sees fit.
OK, I'll get me coat now :lol: .

seoirse2002
29-05-2012, 19:33
I'd be happy with a simple "Beresford" on the front....we all know what it is,and what it is for,and even,what it is supposed to do.
Eye candy doesent make it perform any better.....there again,maybe to some:cool::lol:

WAD62
29-05-2012, 19:41
I'd have to agree with Werner's maxim of 'less is more'...(err...more or less!)

No need for the labels Stan, the LEDs are enough, and if I'd taken the trouble of sticking a cable in the back I'd remember what type it was...:)

Just my thoughts, but them I am a bit monochrome...;)

seoirse2002
29-05-2012, 19:50
Hmmm...regarding labels...if it had a naim,quad,linn, etc. label on it,it would probably sell for 3 times the price!...

magiccarpetride
29-05-2012, 20:31
Only a matter of time on Internet forums before someone compares something to Hitler, nice one Alex! :)

By now, it's a meme.

synsei
29-05-2012, 20:44
We need to remember that Stan is not building this product just for us. I'm sure he would quite like for it to be successful in markets outside of a clue'd up forum full of Hi-Fi geeks as well. There are people out there who may not even know what a DAC is, or who have never considered buying one before, and at the target price the Bushmaster stands a good chance of attracting first time buyers. Clear and concise labelling is key or one risks alienating potential FTB's, which brings me neatly onto one of Stan's rivals.

If Stan will forgive me for focusing on one of his competitors for a moment, I'd like to mention Cambridge Audio. They have discovered the perfect formula for their budget products. What punters at this end of the market really want is that tangible feeling of quality that one gets with higher end equipment, coupled with a product that performs to the same standard, or better than, those from other manufacturers in this sector. CA are masters at this. They spend a lot of time and effort (and no doubt money) on producing attractive products that perform surprisingly well at very competitive prices. Stan can't hope to match the level of investment that CA are capable of putting into development of a new product, and yet in the Bushmaster he has produced a DAC that IMHO is as attractive and well built as CA's DacMagic100. This product is one of Bushmasters major competitors. Stan and others have assured us that the Bushmaster will outperform not only the DM100 but also other competitors DAC's by a significant margin, not to mention the Bushmaster RRP undercuts the DM100 by 10 quid.

In conclusion, I think Stan has got it spot on with the Bushmaster and if it sounds as good as we are led to believe, he will clean up in the budget sector and could very well steal sales away from other manufacturers higher up the ladder. :cool:

webby
29-05-2012, 22:01
Good design, for me, is often invisible. You don't see it cos it's natural, it's intuitive, it's ergonomic, it works. It's not just about the way something looks. There is consistency in good design. Consistency of typography, of colour, of materials, of lines. You don't need to understand typography; If its done right, it pleases the eye.

Inconsistencies in typography etc are noticeable, even if you don't understand why. It's not so easy on the eye. Therefore it's not so nice to use. There are many people who accept this and don't care and just live with it as long as it performs it's job. Then there are those who live with it but would like it to be better.

Finally, there are those who do not accept it and refuse to live with it. These are called Mac users! Lol

synsei
29-05-2012, 22:04
Finally, there are those who do not accept it and refuse to live with it. These are called Mac users! Lol

:laugh:

The Vinyl Adventure
29-05-2012, 23:07
[Nice Voigtlander camera peeping round the corner - I nearly bought one 45 years ago!]

Well spotted that man ... A vitessa L with the f2 ultron ...
Unfortunately the film advance plunger is a little loose and pops up when it shouldnt, but all is not lost ... I have 2 of them ;)
Just out of shot is a Bessa I with the 105mm 4.5 vaskar ... Not the highest regarded of the Bessa lenses but I like it! Again not perfect as its missing the plate that goes in the back for changing the format ... But hey ho it could be over 60 years old you can expect perfection from theses things can you?! :)

jandl100
30-05-2012, 06:19
Looks Good Stan

Nice one, Gaz. I really do like that. :thumbsup:

Shutdown98
30-05-2012, 08:53
I do think a more minimalistic look would be better.
There is a lot of text and a lot of buttons.
a baseline for the text would be better indeed. perhaps also a baseline for the leds, buttons, headphone hole and volume.
Does it mean that there are always 2 leds burning? The auto and input?
In that case i would get rid of the auto led.

Allthough it is all about the ears, you are looking at the thing as you are listening. I think for a lot of people the looks are very important. They must be in line with the (expected) performance. At this moment that is not the case IMO.

The Vinyl Adventure
30-05-2012, 10:00
Nice one, Gaz. I really do like that. :thumbsup:

Agreed

Werner Berghofer
30-05-2012, 10:01
Here’s my proposal:

http://www.berghofer.com/photos/gear/bushmaster.gif

The buttons, the LEDs and the headphone jack are aligned vertically centered. LEDs and surface of “Input” button, headphone jack and volume knob use a medium silver, aluminium or white. In my example picture the second optical input currently is selected. *Please* no gold, red, green or blue here! This should be serious audio equipment, not a Christmas tree in full bloom or an entrance to a red-light etablissement. I think the additonal highlight colour on the volume knob and on its edge is superfluous, a simple embossed dot is more than sufficient to indicate the volume position. I also would appreciate if the headphone jack was not surrounded by a pit, but would perfectly align with the surface of the front plate. And the pit (is it required?) surrounding the “Input” button should not be deeper and larger than the pits where the LEDs are placed in.

The exclusive use of lowercase letters is done intentionally. The typeface I used is called “Neue Helvetica 65 medium”. Since type is being used “negative” or “inverted” (white characters on black background), a slightly increased letterspacing is required, otherwise the characters would appear too tight and close together, making white text on black background difficult to read. This easily can be seen when comparing my font with the unaltered type in “Digital to Analog Converter” in the top right corner of Stan’s prototype photo.

As a personal sidenote let me add that I consider the name “Bushmaster” a bit strange and weird, but your mileage may vary.

Werner.

icehockeyboy
30-05-2012, 10:14
I agree with Verner re the name, Bushmaster to me conjures up images of an Australian bloke in a hat adorned with corks! Not really hifi..................:eyebrows:

sq225917
30-05-2012, 10:44
There's no difference between black on white or white as black as regards spacing between letters. The simple fact is that the font you chose has an intentionally narrow tracking between letters as it is intended to be used for large print sizes and as such needs spacing out when used with a small typeface size.

WAD62
30-05-2012, 10:45
I agree with Verner re the name, Bushmaster to me conjures up images of an Australian bloke in a hat adorned with corks! Not really hifi..................:eyebrows:

...or a hairdresser who specialises in Brazilians! :eyebrows:

Werner Berghofer
30-05-2012, 10:58
Simon,

There's no difference between black on white or white as black as regards spacing between letters.

of course there is a big difference. For at least 200 years this has been a very important design principle in microtypography. See Five simple steps to better typography (http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal/comments/five-simple-steps-to-better-typography) for more information. A direct quote:

“When reversing colour out, eg white text on black, make sure you increase the leading, tracking and decrease your font-weight. This applies to all widths of Measure. White text on a black background is a higher contrast to the opposite, so the letterforms need to be wider apart, lighter in weight and have more space between the lines.”

Feel free to not like me, but you should trust me when I talk about my profession’s topics.

Werner.

webby
30-05-2012, 11:03
Who needs LEDs anyway?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nTPRUhDK-og/T8X-GlwjTlI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/RS_9e9VaCSA/s897/bushmaster.jpg

roob
30-05-2012, 11:08
Bushmaster images.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bushmaster+vehicle&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=ef_FT-GIG8Sn8gOulp3UBQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1278&bih=637
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bushmaster+auto+cannon&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=FADGT-7jKsi_0QX4tNWNBg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CD0Q_AUoAQ&biw=1278&bih=637

Gazjam
30-05-2012, 11:10
Bushmaster images.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bushmaster+vehicle&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=ef_FT-GIG8Sn8gOulp3UBQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1278&bih=637

not enough Bling!

Mark Grant
30-05-2012, 11:15
As a personal sidenote let me add that I consider the name “Bushmaster” a bit strange and weird, but your mileage may vary.

Werner.

I like it because its different :)

It's a good choice to get Google results and search results on forums.

The worst possible product model name is anything with around 3 characters or anything with spaces or - in the name/model.

As an example try searching this or any forum for the term ' DAC' , no results here even though we talk about Dac's every day.
It's a limitation of the forum software so a product name that is long and easy to spell is good.(in my opinion)

Some good photoshop work on the forums :)

Gazjam
30-05-2012, 11:15
Who needs LEDs anyway?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nTPRUhDK-og/T8X-GlwjTlI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/RS_9e9VaCSA/s897/bushmaster.jpg

I can dig it.

More industrial looking which is to my taste.
Less is more..as they say.