+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I love this DAC

I'm Stephen.

Smile I love this DAC

My new REGA DAC arrived today and it's disappeared

Well not quite, are you sitting comfortably? I shall explain.

I connected the REGA and then went away for a few hours to repair my fence to stop my dogs escaping - leaving the Cyrus CD XT se on repeat.

Sat down to listen to my new piece of kit and guess what - it had gone, disappeared, couldn't hear it

This DAC has no sonic signature, it adds nothing, it takes nothing away - I love it

I spent (am spending) the evening going through a variety of old favourites both on my CD and on my iPod via my Audiocom signature upgraded Wadia 170i and I have a silly grin on my face (it's not the second bottle of wine - well OK it might be). This DAC has done the same sort of thing to my music as when I installed a Troika in my previous LP12/Ittok - it shows it like it is - love it or hate it.

There is absolutely no emphasis on any part of the audio spectrum - all instruments/vocals are given equal weight. While there is more detail and control than my previous DAC I found myself listening to the music not the kit. It just sounds so right - fluid, controlled, enjoyable.

The real bombshell was listening to Songs from the Silk Road by Banco de Gaia - most of this album is recorded live at a festival - previously when listening to this album it sounded great but it sounded like it was a studio mix - through the REGA it sounds what it is - you hear what you would hear if you were at the mixing desk in the audience - I s**t you not - it's that good.
    However, be aware it ruthlessly shows up poor recordings - Bruce Springsteens' Darkness on the edge of town for example - great album but through the REGA you just know it was poorly mastered (OK old album) it sounds "boxy" - all the sound is concentrated in the space between the speakers - but get a good recording - in my case tonight Thea Gilmores' new album John Wesley Harding and the soundstage just opens up - beautiful.

Now I am just a poor country doctor and have never heard and never likely to hear Uber expensive dacs so my experience is necessarily limited in this area but my first impressions of the REGA dac are very very favourable - off to listen some more - and open another bottle of wine (wife and kids away - just me, the dogs and the hifi this weekend)

My only criticism - I just wish the led's were green and not red to match the rest of my kit

Steve

Being a simple country
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always a little further

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hi Steve - reading between the lines (and your signature!) the Rega has replaced your Gatored/Teddyed Caiman?

Sounds like your experience of the unit mirrors the positive press it has received. What with the similarly styled and priced Brio R integrated getting fab reviews too, and the same form-factor Saturn CD player eagerly expected, it looks like Rega are on a bit of a roll with their "budget" end at the moment - (add in the superb RS5 speakers DSJR and I heard, and there's a giant-killing system for a couple of grand, I suspect.)

Best of luck to Rega, and to you with your new found enjoyment. (Hope to hear the DAC later in the summer when DSJR and I make another trip to see hifi_dave )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Hi Steve - reading between the lines (and your signature!) the Rega has replaced your Gatored/Teddyed Caiman?
    Signature updated - 'nuff said
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm simon.

"Now I am just a poor country doctor"

"poor" and "doctor", who you trying to kid?
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post

+1

No need for uber-DAC's, as they're profit laden most of the time I think..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by oldson View Post

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always a little further

I'm Ross.

Still very tempted by the Rega DAC.

Nearly all of the reviews I've seen mention that it sounds analogue, and has 'that Rega sound', which is contradictory of your own opinion (not implying anything here, just an observation!).

How does Pink Floyd sound on it?
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

Who he?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It's your bank manager when you tell him about all the new kit you're going to buy!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Steve,

Who he?

Marco.
    Marco where have you been for the last 12 months?
    This is the Prince of Darkness himself aka Mr "screw the NHS" Andrew Lansley

Steve
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast