+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: The DAC side of the force

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    I can only do so much with the existing PCB. Anything more dramatic sounding required a new PCB. So start saving for a 2nd unit.

Yeah fair enough, but do you expect the new PCB design to sound a LOT better than the MK6/III with Mod21?

You have got any improvements you said would come about spot on so far, and I'm a guy that likes specifics!

G.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm gone.

Cautionary tale .... a few years back an entrepreneur came out with a great product. It was really original and good value. Along with the usual sales blurb he said "this is a great product but I've got plans for something even better". Everyone waited for the next generation to come along, he made few sales of his Mk1 and couldn't then afford to bring out his Mk2. You get the moral of the story ?.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ok,so just to be totally clear about this,the 7510+ will sound better than having a 6/III upgraded? I take it the 7510+ has a different pcb to the 6/III?

I'm Gary.

Just a thought...

Maybe Stan wants to keep things under wraps....

All I can say is that the latest mod makes for a VERY big step up in forgetting the hifi, and discovering (rediscovering?) music you thought you knew.

I bought my first Dac (Mark 4 I think?) because of the price/performance ratio. If a new product is quite expensive it might not be for me.

I suppose the next step up is a Stello at around £450??
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Yeah fair enough, but do you expect the new PCB design to sound a LOT better than the MK6/III with Mod21?
    At around £200 I would hope so. Might even be more if the £ keeps getting devalued.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    At around £200 I would hope so. Might even be more if the £ keeps getting devalued.
    MM

At £150 I might be tempted even though I have brand new current model, but it might be worth an audition.

What I really miss, having taken a analogue preamp out of the system is a remote volume control.

The output from my Virgin media box is fixed so I have to use the DAC's variable output- thats OK for TV because the volume can be set and left, but if I'm listening to Radio 3 or Classic FM I like to turn the announcements down - they are always too loud on a good HiFi because they suppose the portable radio.

WHEN I get my Sqeezebox I will have a digital volume control. I wonder how much it's use will degrade the music, if I use it near maximum?

So, Stanley, a nice analogue volume control would be nice sometime.

I suppose I could fit a motorised pot in the Quad 405!
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Gary.

Hi Brian,

I have a Squeezebox too, and whilst I have disabled the digital volume, I would use it if I had the need to, and I'm quite picky about tweaking to get the best out of it.

The guys on the Logitech forums (Audiophile section) suggest its not too much an impact to use the volume control - if any.

G.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

The guys on the Logitech forums (Audiophile section) suggest its not too much an impact to use the volume control - if any.
    That is what I am hoping. Classic FM I can get off the Squeezebox at 128Kb/s - as good as off my Virgin Box, but Radio 3 is at present only available at 64Kb/s, and it's on Music Radio that I like to change the volume frequently. And I guess I will want to set the volume for each ripped CD I play.

But I have to get the Squeezebox yet! No stock in the country at sensible prices.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Digging up an old thread here, but now that some of you guys have had the mod done, can you provide any reference for others who are thinking about the mod what differences they should look out for in the sound? I might be far too biased in my comments. All help appreciated since AoS is now more or less THE reference source for the TC-7510 and MOD21.

Stan

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

My experiences with using the Squeezebox volume control is that it robs the life from the music.

Don't touch it, it ain't worth bothering with !

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast