+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The DAC side of the force

I'm Steve.

Thanks Stan.
    So, my 2 month old TC 7510 will not have this mod.

I am in need of another (its addictive!!)...so was wondering if the mod was now built in, or sounds more like it is as it says on the tin...a mod.

The mod will be on the more expensive 7510+ when that comes out in November/December. The unstable currency exchanges have been dogging me...
    I haven't been fitting the mod as standard on the 6/3 since I have had so many problems with people complaining on other sites about the frequency at which I used to upgrade the DAC. So you had folks asking for a 'free' upgrade to the latest version. Doing it this way, I avoid those requests.

I'm gone.

Hey Stan! ... still waitin' here to try your latest!

I'm a feelin' all left out & lonely

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Hey Stan! ... still waitin' here to try your latest!

I'm a feelin' all left out & lonely

Not long to go Jerry.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    The mod will be on the more expensive 7510+ when that comes out in November/December. The unstable currency exchanges have been dogging me...
    I haven't been fitting the mod as standard on the 6/3 since I have had so many problems with people complaining on other sites about the frequency at which I used to upgrade the DAC. So you had folks asking for a 'free' upgrade to the latest version. Doing it this way, I avoid those requests.
    Thats cool Stan..and perfectly understandable.
    At least I have the option to mod my existing unit.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    At least I have the option to mod my existing unit.
    That's one important thing I keep in mind when I experiment with mods. I got some right complicated ones that even involves substituting the DAC chip, but I didn't feel happy about asking folks to spend more than the cost of the DAC on an upgrade with just a minor audible improvement.

I'm Gary.

Stan,

Regarding the 7510+...

I know you are improving the headphone amp side of things for those that listen with expensive cans, but apart from that, how do you see the 7510+ comparing to the Mk6/III with the Mod21 applied.

With the Mk6/III Virtual DC circuit and the Mod21....is the 7510+ going to be THAT much better, for someone who doesn;t use the headphone amp side of the Dac?

Thanks.

G.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 23-10-2008 at 12:58.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Stan,

Regarding the 7510+...

I know you are improving the headphone amp side of things for those that listen with expensive cans, but apart from that, how do you see the 7510+ comparing to the Mk6/III with the Mod21 applied.

With the Mk6/III Virtual DC circuit and the Mod21....is the 7510+ going to be THAT much better, for someone who doesn;t use the headphone amp side of the Dac?

Thanks.

G.
    I can only do so much with the existing PCB. Anything more dramatic sounding required a new PCB. So start saving for a 2nd unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    I can only do so much with the existing PCB. Anything more dramatic sounding required a new PCB. So start saving for a 2nd unit.

What plans have you got beyond the 7510+, Stanley? And in what time frame?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I go with the flow Brian. Some of the things I would like to do require micro controller programming skills. And that is out of my range of skills right now. So first I got to teach myself micro controller programming, and then go from there. The DAC chip I use can be accessed and modified via software, which then opens up a whole new range of possibilities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast