+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Advice for new Technics SL-1200 Mk2 Owner

I'm Gareth.

I can't actually see any tape, nor how it could be causing this area of the cartridge to get so close to the record surface.

Maybe I'm getting tired of trying to spot differences, but I now can't hear any change between having the Technics mat on its own, the SRM-Tech Isolation mat on its own, or both together. The Technics mat on its own gets the tonearm closest to being parallel with the record surface, the isolation mat gives the great clearance for the plastic protrusion. Maybe the Tecnoweight has brought everything to as good as it can be given the current spec of the TT? Or maybe I'm just tired

I think I need to stop tweaking until I've had a break of a day or two, although please keep the good advice and tips coming

Regards
    Gary
    Last edited by gazcarts; 14-01-2010 at 19:01.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Thirty years ago, I'd have dem after dem comparing the LP12 to some of the competition. After 15 minutes, I couldn't tell the difference. A friend working for one of Londons best known Linn dealers just used to wing-it when he got to this stage. I needed a cup of tea and a lie down afterwards...

Don't get hung up over small to non-existant differences. getting a Jelco for the techie will be far more significant.

It's been a long time since I got intimate with a 10XV, but most moving coils have a piece of protective tape wrapped round the suspension and pole piece to stop dirt and metal filings (oh yes indeedy) from getting caught in the coils and magnet... Have a look with a mirror and take a piccie of the reflection if you can...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Gareth.

Hi Dave,

I seem to get the best sound with the isolation mat (which is silicon) laid on top of the Rega felt mat. The combination is a good depth so the tonearm is level.
    I've ordered an acri-mat off Ebay for 20 quid, so will put the isolation mat underneath and the acri-mat on top and see how that sounds. All cheap upgrades for now, but effective. A Jelco may come eventually but I think my phono stage will have to be changed first (anybody selling a Tag Mclaren PPA20?).

I've attached a pic of the back of the 10x5. The only thing that looks like tape seems fine. By the way, the previous owner fitted the cartridge, hence the untidy cables

14012010380.jpg

Best wishes
    Gary
    Last edited by gazcarts; 14-01-2010 at 21:13.

I'm Dave.

I don't think it's the coil covering thingy, it's that the arm is too low. If the arm is raised, there would be greater clearance between the cartridge and the record. Then, if the arm is raised, the sound will be a touch brighter and more like your CD player.

I'm Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I don't think it's the coil covering thingy, it's that the arm is too low. If the arm is raised, there would be greater clearance between the cartridge and the record. Then, if the arm is raised, the sound will be a touch brighter and more like your CD player.
    Hi Dave.

With the arm totally level, there is literally half a millimetre between that plastic and the turntable. The only thing that alters it is reducing the VTF; it's currently set at 2g, less than the maximum of 2.2g. At 2.2g it actually touches the surface occasionally. Maybe the Tecnoweight isn't giving the correct VTF? I followed the instructions exactly though. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital gauge to check the VTF. I'm due a Clearaudio plastic gauge any day now.

Best wishes
    Gary

I'm Dave.

It's so frustrating trying to work out what's wrong at a distance. If I had the deck on my bench it would take seconds to see what's what.

From that pic of the cartridge on the LP it looks too close but it also looks like the arm is far too low. From memory, the grey coil covering should be nearer to parallel with the record. If it was, there would be more clearance between that and the record. It's either that or the cartridge suspension is shot and unable to support the whole caboodle.

I'm Gareth.

Well I took the cartridge off to give a check; it looks fine. When it's not on the record surface there is about 2 or 3mm of vertical separation between the tip of the stylus and the plastic to its rear. When the stylus is on the record, it moves upwards slightly and the vertical distance decreases.

I ran the Hi-fi News record and everything seems fine apart from the silence track where there is lots of scratchiness/rumble at high volumes. This can be heard in the gaps between tracks on normal records too. It gets slightly quieter if I back off the VTF to 2 or even 1.8g.

The gap was small before I put the Tecnoweight on, but maybe the weight's low CofG makes it slightly smaller?

Up early tomorrow so time for bed. Will take another look at it tomorrow afternoon.

Good night
    Gary

I'm Dave.

Night, night, sleep tight. Hope the bed bugs don't bite.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

unless you want a nibble, of course!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

1.7 to 1.8 grammes playing weight is more like it IIIRC..
    Last edited by DSJR; 15-01-2010 at 14:20. Reason: speelin mistike
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast