+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Naim Nait 5i or Exposure 2010s or similar

I'm Osvaldo.

Hi Alex,

I don't completely understand how the album club works. What is the procedure? I select an album I like, post a link to a place where people can hear the songs, wikipedia link, album art and leave some comments why I like it and so on??? If this is it, I am surely in for it! So, before tuesday I must select an album and let you know?

Kind Regards

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by osvaldo View Post
    Hi Alex,

I don't completely understand how the album club works. What is the procedure? I select an album I like, post a link to a place where people can hear the songs, wikipedia link, album art and leave some comments why I like it and so on??? If this is it, I am surely in for it! So, before tuesday I must select an album and let you know?

Kind Regards
    You are almost there - the only issue is there are a few people already lined up so your turn would come on Tuesday 17th July - I've added you to the list: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12613
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Hi Osvaldo,
    Not quite - Alex will put you on the list & you have a week which is designated to you (Tuesday to Tuesday) - if your name goes on the list now, your week would begin on the 17th July

Here is the end of the list as it stands today:

Dalek Supreme DL - Week 44: 05.06.2012 - Slovo - Todo Cambia (2007)
    colinB - Week 45: 12.06.2012 - The Duke and the King - The Duke and the King (2009)
    aquapiranha - Week 46: 19.06.2012 - Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther (2006)
    RichB - Week 47: 26.06.12
    synsei - Week 48: 03.07.12
    Martinh - Week 49: 10.07.12
    The full list is here on post number 1 of the Album Club Discussion thread. This is the thread where we make announcements & discuss the club (but not the albums). There are also full instructions on that post which will tell you exactly how to construct the thread about the album you have chosen. Alex has also done an example of one for you there, which you should copy the style of.

Some of us find it useful to work on the text of our submissions offline so that we can have them ready in advance in order to quickly get the thread going when the time comes. I type mine out in MS Word & then I put them into a PM to myself in order to save it. I do this because it means I can prepare the formatting (font size, bold, italics, embedding pictures and Spotify/Grooveshark links etc) all in advance. When my day comes up, I just copy the content of the PM (except for the 'quote' tags & paste it into a new thread.

The album should be available to hear online, & preferably to everyone.
    If you have any problems, just send me a PM (Alex is going to be busy soon as his wife is expecting a baby).
    Good luck!

I'm Martin.

Default The Exposure is staying - marantz out of the window!

Now that ive had the Exposure for a couple of weeks, I'm delighted with it.

I'm now partnering it with my Bushmaster and it sounds amaaaayzing! The combo is dynamic but super smooth with incredible bass depth and weight.

It got a proper sound stage now, unlike the Marantz. I gave my dad a demo with Katie Melua's Nine Million Bycicles and he was completely blown away (as was I). The bass drum gives a real kick to the stomach.

I am thinking that although the amp was 4 months old, I dont think it had been run in, because the sound has improved so much since I got it.

So, shes staying and now it's just tuning now with better mains blocks, leads and maybe interconnects. I'm using van damme interconnects at the moment and they are pretty good, IMHO.

Cheers,
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post

I'm now partnering it with my Bushmaster and it sounds amaaaayzing! The combo is dynamic but super smooth with incredible bass depth and weight.

It got a proper sound stage now, unlike the Marantz. I gave my dad a demo with Katie Melua's Nine Million Bycicles and he was completely blown away (as was I). The bass drum gives a real kick to the stomach.

I am thinking that although the amp was 4 months old, I dont think it had been run in, because the sound has improved so much since I got it.

So, shes staying and now it's just tuning now with better mains blocks, leads and maybe interconnects. I'm using van damme interconnects at the moment and they are pretty good, IMHO.

Cheers,
    Hi Martin,

How do you rate the Bushmaster against your Cambridge DACMagic? A increase in sonic performance? a big performance leap?

Cheers

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by osvaldo View Post
    Hi Martin,

How do you rate the Bushmaster against your Cambridge DACMagic? A increase in sonic performance? a big performance leap?

Cheers
    Hi Osvaldo,

Good to hear from you - I thought you had disappeared

Yes, I reckon the BM is better than the DacMagic.

Well, the main things for me in my system were the much improved bass and smoother treble.

Bass is deeper and more defined. The treble is completely devoid of any digital harshness, so it's an easier listen.

On the minus side, the build quality and looks of the dacmagic are much better.

The BM uses much less power and can be battery powered. The dacmagic gets alarmingly warm for what it does, as does the plug in PSU.

Needless to say, I'm not going back to the dacmagic!

Hope that helps,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post

Cheers,
    Whilst not trying to sound condescending, as I frequently experience the same thing & later on realise it, but it might be that the Marantz was tuned with a bass and midbass hump to make the sound superficially more "rich" and "weighty"? At the Marantz's price bracket this wouldn't surprise me.

Having said this the Exposure is definitely an amp that should be left on and sounds a bit coarser from cold, like a lot of British amps funnily enough.

Glad you are happy with the Exposure I think if you heard the Nait 5i you'd notice that the Naim is a bit like a TV with the contrast turned up a bit...! Nice amp but the Exposure is far more neutral whilst being fun with loads of PRaT.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Some of you chaps would love a Quad 77 integrated
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    ...the Marantz was tuned with a bass and midbass hump to make the sound superficially more "rich" and "weighty"? At the Marantz's price bracket this wouldn't surprise me.
    Hi Neil,

I think you are right about that. The Marantz sounds warmer and softer than the Exposure, which is leaner, faster and more hifi.

Incidentally, do you know which part of the frequency spectrum (ie. htz values) are described as bass, upper bass, lower mid, midrange etc.

I was playing around with a spectrum analyser yesterday and got the in-room response below.

I'd like to learn more about this, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Some of you chaps would love a Quad 77 integrated
    Why is that Dave? I've seen these on ebay quite often and always wondered if they were any good.

Cheers,
    Martin

My system photos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast