I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Default Spotify sued over music streaming technology

This doesn't sound good for Spotify fans

Spotify sued over music streaming technology
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Matthew.

An end to compulsory MP3's?

Hurrah!
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005
    " What we cannot measure, we do not know" Lord Rayleigh

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by serendipitydawg View Post
    An end to compulsory MP3's?
    Nope, Spotify doesn't stream in MP3!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nick.

Wonder why they didn't go after Pandora and the like when they launched... smacks of opportunism.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Not really enough info to go on in the news report, but Spotify say "PacketVideo is claiming that by distributing music over the internet, Spotify (and by inference any other similar digital music service) has infringed one of the patents that has previously been acquired by PacketVideo" - I'd be very surprised if you could patent "distributing music over the internet" - so it must be something to do with the underlying technology, I guess.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out but as Nick says - opportunism. This company appears to buy and act on patents - I'm sure they were waiting for the US launch of Spotify for a bigger slice of the pie...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Matthew.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Nope, Spotify doesn't stream in MP3!
    Pardon my ignorance.

What does Spotify stream?

Surely not lossless?
    "The hi-fi fraternity is bizarre, full of dangerous amateurs" Tim de Paravicini Audio Magazine 1995
    "Objective measurements in audio are primary, but they are useless unless they have been subjectively validated as predictors of musical accuracy Edgar Villchur Stereophile 2005

Pardon my ignorance.

What does Spotify stream?

Surely not lossless?
    Hi Matthew - sorry for my glib response! - it uses the open-source format Ogg Vorbis - generally thought to be one of (if not) the best compressed format. My personal opinion is that it is very difficult to tell the difference between 320kbps OV stream that you get with Spotify Premium and CD - though I know others will disagree with me on that - but my ears aren't golden enough!
    Alex

I'm Nick.

I'd be very surprised if you could patent "distributing music over the internet" - so it must be something to do with the underlying technology, I guess.
    If you take a look at some of the current US patent lawsutes you would find yourself very suprised. I think there is a bit more to the patent in question but not much.
    Nick.

I'm Matthew.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Hi Matthew - sorry for my glib response! - it uses the open-source format Ogg Vorbis - generally thought to be one of (if not) the best compressed format. My personal opinion is that it is very difficult to tell the difference between 320kbps OV stream that you get with Spotify Premium and CD - though I know others will disagree with me on that - but my ears aren't golden enough!
    No need to apologise Alex. I should apologise for my snooty attitude. I sneer at the very mention of Spotify. At least now I can sneer accurately.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I sneer at the very mention of Spotify.
    Why would you sneer at a resource that can help expand your musical knowledge
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast