+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supreme Sound Audio discrete Op-amp upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by SS-Audio View Post
    Guys, thanks for sharing your projects and keeping the conversation going. Can't believe it's been 2 years since we started this thread. If anyone would like to try any Burson opamp (V5i, or V6) please let us know your project and we will arrange a free sample.
    Hi Charles,

I had come across this while trying to find a good comparison of the v6 classic vs vivid. I just recently acquired a pair of hifiman he-4xx phones and have them paired with a little dot 1+. I have started tube rolling and currently have upgraded the stock tubes to Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV with some Mullard 8100 on the way to try next. I am pretty new to this game but researching opamp rolling on the littledot 1+ seems to be another step in the adventure. If you have any recommendation as to which would compliment the setup best I would welcome your opinion. I think the tubes give some warmth and texture, so I was leaning towards the vivid. There were some older reviews of the Littledot 1+ with the V5, and while it didn't fit with the cover closed, it sounded like it was an amazing upgrade over stock. I am not opposed to milling out the aluminum case to fit taller opamps.

It looks like the stock opamp is an MC33078N

Little Dot exposed

Gratuitous glow shot

I'm Patrick.

Charles replied via PM to me, but I got impatient before he had a chance and ordered a V6 Vivid in the meantime. Unfortunately Burson was out of stock at the time, but I finally got it last weekend. I have only had a couple of hours but it is definately a big improvement over stock. I need to give it some time to break in before I make any real comments, but I will say that it made a really big difference in tightening up the bottom end and everything seem more accurate already. I already feel it was worth the price paid, and I am looking forward to it getting even better.

Here are a few pic I took of the install

Stock IC replaced. This thing is pretty tall. The cover definately was not going to close over this.

After some careful measuring I marked the center point of where it should end up poking thru. I stepped up drills from 1/8th inch (~3mm) to 1/2 inch (~12-13mm) then broke out my file set and carefully widened the hole it out and squared it up nice. After about 20 min of careful filework I test fit and got it in one.

The v6 vivid stuck out a tad longer than the feet. I placed some washers under and just had enough threads left to screw the feet in.

Quote Originally Posted by unnerv View Post
    Hi Charles,

I had come across this while trying to find a good comparison of the v6 classic vs vivid. I just recently acquired a pair of hifiman he-4xx phones and have them paired with a little dot 1+. I have started tube rolling and currently have upgraded the stock tubes to Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV with some Mullard 8100 on the way to try next. I am pretty new to this game but researching opamp rolling on the littledot 1+ seems to be another step in the adventure. If you have any recommendation as to which would compliment the setup best I would welcome your opinion. I think the tubes give some warmth and texture, so I was leaning towards the vivid. There were some older reviews of the Littledot 1+ with the V5, and while it didn't fit with the cover closed, it sounded like it was an amazing upgrade over stock. I am not opposed to milling out the aluminum case to fit taller opamps.

It looks like the stock opamp is an MC33078N

Little Dot exposed

Gratuitous glow shot

+ Reply to Thread