+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Sound Audio discrete Op-amp upgrade

I'm Ken.

Default V6 Classic

Review of Burson V6 Classic

I tried a pair of V6 Classics in my test bed 2-Way analogue active crossovers (Orange Module).

Only one channel is shown but both channels were fitted with V6 Classic in the High Pass filter and V6 Vivid in the Low Pass filter, input Buffer is a Sparko Labs discrete unit.

I gave them 110hrs run in before critical listening and as previously the final changes took place around 90 hrs. The final change however, was much more subtle than with the V6 Vivid, so from 30 to 90 hours they sounded pretty close to their best, with just a small change audible at 90+ hrs. The Vivid changed quite a lot at this point, certainly more noticeable.

Again the Burson bar graph gives a pretty accurate picture of the strengths and I wont say weaknesses, because it is really describing their flavour, which will either compliment or work against the balance of the rest your system. So it's horses for courses, with no best version between the two. Your personal taste is going to have a big influence on which you prefer.

My comments reflect how they sound with my partnering gear and is subject to my own preferences.
    The differences are subtle and not night and day polar extremes.

The Classic is Richer, compared to the Vivid, but less transparent, hand claps are softer with leading and trailing edges on some digital tracks not as crisp. Yet hand claps on Grace Jones - Night Clubbing (Vinyl) were very sharp. Overall I preferred the analogue source over digital with it.
    Sibilance is very Low with the Classic and subtle vocal traits and textures are well portrayed.
    Acoustic instruments seemed to benefit from the Classic, electronics and electric guitar less so.
    Harmonica and harpsichord sounded particularly good.
    There is a nice fullness to bass drum.

So I have tried V5, V6 Vivid and V6 Classic.
    My favourite combination is V5 for high pass and V6 Vivid for low pass.
    In my application it just works so well, clarity, slam and detail that monolithic op amps can't come close to, rhythm and pace in spades, this combo can boogie.
    You will have to think long and hard about which will compliment your own system depending on what your audio expectations are.
    Burson have produced units with subtly different tonal colours and by mixing them the possibilities are endless.

I'm Svend.

Default DIP8 to SIL Adaptor

Here's a solution for those wanting to adapt a dual-in-line 8 pin (DIP8) connector such as on the Burson op-amp, to a single-in-line (SIL) 8-pin socket. In other words, this adaptor will let you swap out an op-amp having single-in-line 8 pins with a Burson unit:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8dip...rpn060301.aspx

I recently used two of these to install discrete op-amps (not Burson, unfortunately -- sorry Charles, but I couldn't find your products here in Canada) into a Teac VRDS-10 CD player which had the single-in-line sockets. I can vouch that they work perfectly. This adaptor allows the use of these discrete op-amps in components that would otherwise be unable to accept them.

Note that they will cause the op-amps to lay on their sides, so make sure there is enough room beside the sockets.

Hope this helps someone.

As an aside, I was VERY impressed by the improvement in sound quality out of the Teac after adding the discrete op-amps. Far more dynamic, punchy and lively, deeper and tighter bass, and more gain. Combined with the addition of a discrete clock board, this transformed the Teac into a truly excellent player. Well worth it, and highly recommended!

Regards,
    Svend

I'm Charles.

Hi guys,

Thanks everyone who took the time to post your honest evaluation on our discrete op-amps.
    @Svend, thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure this will come in handy to fellow diy'ers.

I'm Karsten.

Default V6 tested and V5i chosen

Hi,

i bought a pair of dual V6 classic for my Audinst HUD-DX1.
    It comes in the well known package and i build them in soon. But at the first test i was very disappointed. I hoped i get a better sound with warm sounding, more bass an even more details and soundstage.
    Unfortunately the was nothing of it to hear for me. It sounds even worse than the muses 8920.
    So i gave them time to burn in. I heard music for about 30 -40 hours, but it didn´t sound better. After some days the hights in some songs sound even scratchy and another problem came up.
    When i powerd on my PC and the DX1 there was a scratching tone on the left channel. It only went away, when i wobbled the opamp in the socked. I changed the two opamps, but the problem stayed at the one opamp.
    This was not the solution that i wanted. I described my problem to the very good working support team and got the answer soon.
    Maybe the DX1 has not enough electrical power for the V6. This caused also the scratching hights.
    So i sent the V6 regrettably back and got two V5i for the replacement. (When i put the muses back in the amp, it sounds really better)
    So the V6 are not bad!!! Only my Headphoneamp has too few power.
    After less than two weeks the V5is arrived and i put them in the sockets, turned on the amp and was exited.
    I did not expect that good sound from the these small opamps.
    They sound better from the first second. Especially more bass. That what i wanted and more or better sound in every way. So clear details and hights.
    Now i am very satisfied with it. Simply happy with the voluminous sound that i wantet and got now.

So now i know, it depends on more than only the newest and strongest opamps.
    Thanks at the Burson Audio Support Team for the fast and easy help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Ken.

Karsten - 30 to 40 hours is not long enough.
    Less than half the 100 hours that is recommended.
    From my own experience of x12 v5 duals x2 v6 Vivid and x2 v6 Classic they need this.
    The v6 Vivid for instance, started out ok and after the initial 4 to 5 hrs settled quite nicely, but lacked mid range detail. Then went down hill and were actually quite poor at 30 to 60 hours and didn't fully settle till around 93 hours, where within the space of a few tracks they completely changed in character to being very good indeed. The bass tightened up and it was like I had changed mid range drivers, suddenly it was all there. I listened a lot in the first 20hrs then every 10 to 12 hrs with them just playing to themselves in between.

I use the same tracks each time I evaluate, so I know how it should sound and if anything is being over/under emphasised.

The overall result will depend on your application/system/taste, I just don't think you gave em long enough for a decent shot.

Bypass caps are also important. I found, after extensive testing, that with a dual rail power supply the stock method of a 0.1uf ceramic across the rails was not that good for sound. I used a 0.1uf ceramic and a 4.7uf Tantalum in parallel attached to each of the op amp power pins and each attached to the PCB ground plane. This is a set up recommended in several of the monolithic-chip op amp spec sheets and it works well with the Burson units. I tried the Burson recommended film cap across the rails but this was not as good in my application. The rule seems to be, Single supply = cap across the power/gnd pins. Dual supply = cap/s from each power pin to Gnd plane.

Non of this may have effected your end choice, just giving folks the benefit of what I have tried and had success with.

I'm Karsten.

Maybe you´re right.
    But the V5i sounds good and better than the Muses from the first second. They fit in the original case ect. ect.
    The V6 should impress me so much, that it want to build a new case. But it doesn´t. (In case of lack of power i think)
    And there is no way, that the amp scratches when i turn it on and no sound is playing. That´s a damage or too few power.

Now i´m happy and that is the most important thing.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by gaskopp View Post

Now i´m happy and that is the most important thing.
    Absolutely

I'm Charles.

Guys, thanks for sharing your projects and keeping the conversation going. Can't believe it's been 2 years since we started this thread. If anyone would like to try any Burson opamp (V5i, or V6) please let us know your project and we will arrange a free sample.

I'm Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by SS-Audio View Post
    Guys, thanks for sharing your projects and keeping the conversation going. Can't believe it's been 2 years since we started this thread. If anyone would like to try any Burson opamp (V5i, or V6) please let us know your project and we will arrange a free sample.
    Charles,

I would love to test the V6 Vivid Single opamps in my analog chain. I’m a big vinyl lover and I recently replaced the fixed opamps (OPA134PA) in my Lehmann Black Cube Phono with 8Pin DIP sockets so I can swap opams more easily.

I use a modified Technics SL-1210MK2 as source and have a library of over 4500 records. The Technics currently has a Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Funk Firm Achromat, extra damping material inside and Isonoe suspension footers. Currently waiting on a KAB power supply mod and a new RCA cable, but both will be in soon.

As amplifier I use a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP which drives the GoldenEar Triton Reference speakers.

Currently the Black Cube is still using the original OPA134PA’s as I’m waiting for some more 8Pin sockets to fit the other opamps. I found out the hard way that it’s not that easy to get a opamp out of a socket.

If you like me to test the V6’s I would love to do that. It would require 2 x V6 Vivid Single opamps. Also good to know that we’re practically neighbors as I live in New Zealand

Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by Funnyx; 12-01-2018 at 00:41. Reason: Picture size...

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by SS-Audio View Post
    Hi Charles,

I had come across this while trying to find a good comparison of the v6 classic vs vivid. I just recently acquired a pair of hifiman he-4xx phones and have them paired with a little dot 1+. I have started tube rolling and currently have upgraded the stock tubes to Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV with some Mullard 8100 on the way to try next. I am pretty new to this game but researching opamp rolling on the littledot 1+ seems to be another step in the adventure. If you have any recommendation as to which would compliment the setup best I would welcome your opinion. I think the tubes give some warmth and texture, so I was leaning towards the vivid. There were some older reviews of the Littledot 1+ with the V5, and while it didn't fit with the cover closed, it sounded like it was an amazing upgrade over stock. I am not opposed to milling out the aluminum case to fit taller opamps.

It looks like the stock opamp is an MC33078N

Little Dot exposed

Gratuitous glow shot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast