+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Celestion Ditton 66 Renovation thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Adam.

Richard, one thing to remember is that many loudspeakers of this era were hand finalised by measurement when they left the factory to account for the differences in drive units. Therefore it is not uncommon to find different crossover compoents in the left and right speakers - I've seen this on more than one pair of Leaks!

This would account for the different capacitor values you've found but if you're matching up the drive units then don't worry - you can make both channels the same.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Richard, one thing to remember is that many loudspeakers of this era were hand finalised by measurement when they left the factory to account for the differences in drive units. Therefore it is not uncommon to find different crossover compoents in the left and right speakers - I've seen this on more than one pair of Leaks!

This would account for the different capacitor values you've found but if you're matching up the drive units then don't worry - you can make both channels the same.
    That makes sense, Adam. Thinking back, it would have been helpful if I had noted whether my buzzing/damaged MD500 was driven by the crossover with 24uf or the crossover with 30uf. Sadly I've swapped the drivers between cabinets several times over the years so have lost track of which originally belonged to which. Hypothetically, damage to the MD500 would be more likely to occur with 30uf than with 24uf, all else being equal, since a higher uf value would push the 500Hz crossover frequency lower, would it not?
    Main System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Yamaha A-S3000 > Celestion Ditton 66
    Headphone System: Mac Mini > Schiit Yggdrasil 2 OG > Sparkos Aries / Schiit Mjolnir 2 > Sennheiser HD600

+ Reply to Thread