+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons of valve amps

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Something I meant to comment on at the time but forgot.
    If you check out the original GEC 100 Watt Circuit,http://www.oestex.com/tubes/Circuits/GEC100w.gif using a pair of KT88's you will notice that it uses no over-all feedback at all, however; its ouput stage is ultra-linear configured.
    I have actualy heard a completed stereo version of this amp [I supplied the chassis]and it works very well considering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    One would never use a tetrode or pentode amp without negative feedback as it would then be a current source and have no damping factor at all. With low-ish feedback this effect will come into play to an extent of course, which is what I was getting at. Even with triodes and zero feedback it will happen to an extent. The degree to which power rises with increased load impedance is far less though than the amount it will increase with falling load impedance with a SS amp. Unless you deliberately make the valve amp a current source as in your example but this is completely undesirable in any amplifier and would never be done in practice.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Something I meant to comment on at the time but forgot.
    If you check out the original GEC 100 Watt Circuit,http://www.oestex.com/tubes/Circuits/GEC100w.gif using a pair of KT88's you will notice that it uses no over-all feedback at all, however; its ouput stage is ultra-linear configured.
    I have actualy heard a completed stereo version of this amp [I supplied the chassis]and it works very well considering.
    We were already in agreement over UL of course....
    I have an original copy of the GEC amplifiers pamphlet that I ordered from the factory when I was about 13!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

This looks interesting:

https://youtu.be/BnR_DLd1PDI
    Spendorman

montesquieu Guest

Some oddball designs by Time de Paravicini fall in this category as well .. EAR 861, push pull EL519s, no global negative feedback, supposedly pure Class A (presumably up to the distortion specs at least), uses 'Enhanced Triode Mode' (whatever that is - maybe some variant of ultralinear?) and a custom 'quadrafillar' output transformer. I have to say its performance with my current-hungry Tannoys was pretty outstanding even with a meagre 32 watts, pretty close to what my PP KT88-specced (KT90-equipped) Radford STA100 manages.

I'm Geoff.

I have a friend who uses an EAR 861 to drive Tannoys. It's a very nice sounding amp.

Although he does like his Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro just as much.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Some oddball designs by Time de Paravicini fall in this category as well .. EAR 861, push pull EL519s, no global negative feedback, supposedly pure Class A (presumably up to the distortion specs at least), uses 'Enhanced Triode Mode' (whatever that is - maybe some variant of ultralinear?) and a custom 'quadrafillar' output transformer. I have to say its performance with my current-hungry Tannoys was pretty outstanding even with a meagre 32 watts, pretty close to what my PP KT88-specced (KT90-equipped) Radford STA100 manages.
    If it's anything like the EAR 509, 519 and lots of other TdP designs then it's pretty much the opposite of your description! They are certainly unusual though yes. There are several feedback loops but non from the secondary of the OPT. It has UL taps from OPT to screen grids, cathode windings a la Quad II and Mcintosh and then the anodes of one phase are cross-coupled to the cathodes of the other by electrolytic caps.. other taps bootstrap the driver stage and another winding is used just to provide balanced feedback to the cathodes of the driver stage and globally(ish) to the input stage.

It's pretty clever stuff and they usually both sound and measure very good. I got to know Tim a bit when working for MF and then Alchemist.. an interesting bloke.

I'll bet not many remember the Michaelson Audio Chronos pre and power? A few may with the incredibly unreliable Odysseus

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

montesquieu Guest

If it's anything like the EAR 509, 519 and lots of other TdP designs then it's pretty much the opposite of your description! They are certainly unusual though yes. There are several feedback loops but non from the secondary of the OPT. It has UL taps from OPT to screen grids, cathode windings a la Quad II and Mcintosh and then the anodes of one phase are cross-coupled to the cathodes of the other by electrolytic caps.. other taps bootstrap the driver stage and another winding is used just to provide balanced feedback to the cathodes of the driver stage and globally(ish) to the input stage.

It's pretty clever stuff and they usually both sound and measure very good. I got to know Tim a bit when working for MF and then Alchemist.. an interesting bloke.

I'll bet not many remember the Michaelson Audio Chronos pre and power? A few may with the incredibly unreliable Odysseus
    Interesting to hear a professional's opinion ... I've generally liked his stuff a lot and have I've owned a bit of his gear - 509 monoblocks (the only one of his I found a bit 'meh' TBH), V20 (loved that especially after having some decent componets swapped out for the basic stuff it had in), 899 (also the Actue CD and MC3 SUT), also heard a fair few as well, the best of which was the 534 ... to my ears the 861 was the best of the lot. Also had an Odysseus yonks ago ... mechanical hum drove me potty but it was actually a nice performer. Didn't have it long enough for it to break down though ...

I'm Jez.

Interesting to hear a professional's opinion ... I've generally liked his stuff a lot and have I've owned a bit of his gear - 509 monoblocks (the only one of his I found a bit 'meh' TBH), V20 (loved that especially after having some decent componets swapped out for the basic stuff it had in), 899 (also the Actue CD and MC3 SUT), also heard a fair few as well, the best of which was the 534 ... to my ears the 861 was the best of the lot. Also had an Odysseus yonks ago ... mechanical hum drove me potty but it was actually a nice performer. Didn't have it long enough for it to break down though ...
    Odysseus sounded great but Anthony Michaelson wouldn't listen to me about the issues with cheap under-rated parts in it and rejected my internal report on the matter... After he'd asked me to write it... virtually all of them blew up within a few months of being sold! Tim re-released the design under his EAR brand and with all the issues sorted

We were already in agreement over UL of course....
    I have an original copy of the GEC amplifiers pamphlet that I ordered from the factory when I was about 13!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

From what I remembered at the time, the original control grid was strapped to the Cathode, and the Screen grid was then used as the control grid!
    'Enhanced Triode Mode' (whatever that is - maybe some variant of ultralinear?) and a custom 'quadrafillar' output transformer. I have to say its performance with my current-hungry Tannoys was pretty outstanding even with a meagre 32 watts, pretty close to what my PP KT88-specced (KT90-equipped) Radford STA100 manages.
    Nikola Tesla

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast