+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AccuphaseT-101

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Default AccuphaseT-101

I've just acquired one of these beauties,and knowing not much at all about these classic tuners,what's the best way to connect an aerial? There is a threaded 300 ohm connector,and two screws at 75 ohm.I have a wall coax socket that connects to the old tv aerial,so I was intending to use that to start with.What's the best way to go?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Just stick a bit of wet string on one of the terminals. That should do it.......

This was the reference standard of the mid seventies and Angus MacKenzie could never make up his mind of this or the Yamaha CT7000 was the best at the time.

I loved the Accuphase. here's to more good years of FM..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I've just acquired one of these beauties,and knowing not much at all about these classic tuners,what's the best way to connect an aerial? There is a threaded 300 ohm connector,and two screws at 75 ohm.I have a wall coax socket that connects to the old tv aerial,so I was intending to use that to start with.What's the best way to go?
    You are a very blessed man indeed....I am a bit green.

Best way to use it is to hook the end of the coper central core cable and have enough screen to connect to the ground part of the 75ohm aerial. However I would try a 300ohm cable too as some of the earlier tuners work a bit better with that type of aerial. Chris (The Grand Wazoo) is your man for Accuphase.

Some day I would like to get one of these...Ali if you ever grow tired of it I am your man...okay.

Was it the damaged/faulty one that sold on E-Bay recently...sold once then relisted...went for £44 ish ?

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 05-11-2009 at 22:36.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Presumably you have a 75 ohm coax feed from a separate (preferably outside) aerial. Odd about the 75 ohm terminals, as opposed to the standard coax socket on the back of most tuners.

However, although I haven't had an Accuphase, I have had Pioneer and other Japanese tuners of that period, which didn't have the normal socket.

Simply attach your coax cable screening to one terminal and the solid core signal to t'other. Shouln't matter which way round. NOt sure what you mean by TV socket, though. UHF (TV) and VHF (FM) are not really compatible.

Possibly it will work adequately with an indoor lash-up, but not even sensitive tuners will give of their best under these conditions unless you live in the shadow of a transmiiter !

I'm Dave.

As above, you connect to the 75 ohm terminals.

For best results you need to ditch the old TV aerial as it's completely the wrong shape, size and (probably) pointing in the wrong direction. The Accuphase is sufficiently sensitive to work with the TV aerial but it won't give of it's best...

I'm ChrisB.

Ali,
    You lucky, lucky person you!
    Great choice.
    I use the screw connector terminal. It needs an 'F' connector. You won't need a huge array in most situations & your TV aerial will be a reasonable way to get you going -I did that for years with other tuners before I had my own place. On the roof of our old house, I only needed a 4 element aerial which gave me full deflection on the signal strength meter. We're having an aerial fitted in this place next week & the installer is bringing several for me to try before I decide.

You'll love the tuner it's a great piece of gear - take a look under the lid!

I'm ChrisB.

Ali,
    The Accuphase website ( http://www.accuphase.com/ )has downloads of historical info of all their models but the info on the T101 is here: http://www.accuphase.com/cat/e-202en.pdf

If you need an owners manual & service manual, I think I have both, so I can scan them if you need me to. Just let me know!

Cheers

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Thanks for the replies gents.Chris,yes please,I'd love a copy of the instructions.Very kind of you,thank you.Chaps,I'm aware that using the old tv aerial is not ideal,but given it's picking up loads of stations with no aerial at all (not in stereo though) I think the it will be quite adequate for now.If I am getting full strength from the tv aerial,is there any mileage in getting a proper aerial from a SQ point of view?
    I bought the tuner from a member on here,who offered it to me ages ago,and I've just taken him up on it.It's in excellent condition.I love the light show!

I'm David.

Sorry to hijack a bit... Does anyone remember that sony st-70 tuner I bought for £1.24? Very pleased with it at the time...
    Anyway I have stoped using it as over time the output has got more and more interferance to the point that it's unlistenable!
    First question: can anyone explain why this might happen?
    Second question: is it ok to split a tv ariel and send one to radio and one to tv... I know it's not ideal, but I haven't even thought of it before Reading this thread.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Dave.

Your problem might be components going 'off' over time or atmospherics as you don't appear to have a decent aerial.

As for splitting your TV aerial feed - the TV aerial is the wrong shape, wrong size and (probably) facing the wrong direction. Then splitting the feed will reduce the signal quite a bit and add reflections. It might be better than a bit of wire but is not the way to go for a decent signal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast