+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warbling

I'm Clive.

Default Warbling

There's a certain type of vocals that really bugs me. It's an old fashioned warble, female vocalists seem especially prone to this. It's when a note is not held but instead the throat is vibrated. Examples include Susan Boyle / Wild Horses (an extreme example), Streisand, Joan Baez. I can only think they do it because they are terrified of being off key (flat or sharp). The "beautiful" voices don't do this - eg Alison Krauss. So, is this warbling an indication of a lack of confidence or a poor voice?

I'm ILOB.

Not sure think some artist think it adds an interesting effect kind of like vibrato
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Not sure think some artist think it adds an interesting effect kind of like vibrato
    Well I hate it! Probably I'm a philistine.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

This is just a wild stab in the dark - wonder if it is something more "tired" (older) voices do - the latest Beverley Craven album (I know, I'm sorry, but I had such a fantastic "romantic moment" to 'Promise Me' that I have had to buy all her albums when she releases them - mercifully only 3 more since the self-titled debut! ) is plagued with warbling, and yes, it bugs me!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    This is just a wild stab in the dark - wonder if it is something more "tired" (older) voices do - the latest Beverley Craven album (I know, I'm sorry, but I had such a fantastic "romantic moment" to 'Promise Me' that I have had to buy all her albums when she releases them - mercifully only 3 more since the self-titled debut! ) is plagued with warbling, and yes, it bugs me!
    Interesting speculation Alex. I assume that this observation is based on the latest recordings. I don't know how old Beverley Craven or Susan Boyle are, but they're not that old surely? Joan Baez is in her late sixties and I doubt if she is terrified of being off-key; she has perfect pitch.

Perhaps it's because these singers can no longer hold a sustained note for long. I have not heard any of Baez's later recordings but have many of her sixties and early seventies output.

One artist that I like, but can be accused of overdoing vibrato is Buffy Sainte-Marie. At times it bugs me too!

Regards
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I can't stand the yodelling - Leona Lewis for instance.

I'm Nobody.

Yodeling..Thought this was gonna be a Thjis Van Leer thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpV5InLw52U

Magic

I'm joe.

Didn't Edith Piaf do a lot of warbling, or was she just being French?

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Interesting speculation Alex. I assume that this observation is based on the latest recordings. I don't know how old Beverley Craven or Susan Boyle are, but they're not that old surely? Joan Baez is in her late sixties and I doubt if she is terrified of being off-key; she has perfect pitch.

Perhaps it's because these singers can no longer hold a sustained note for long. I have not heard any of Baez's later recordings but have many of her sixties and early seventies output.

One artist that I like, but can be accused of overdoing vibrato is Buffy Sainte-Marie. At times it bugs me too!

Regards
    Baez does warble from quite early years. It used not to bug me but it does now, shame oz I love her songs. Calling it vibrato just seems like using a latin term to cover up an unpleasant sound. You'd never call warbling a pure sound but the the likes of Alison Krauss are pure - no warlblng. I suppose I'm just becoming picky.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Baez does warble from quite early years. It used not to bug me but it does now, shame 'coz I love her songs. Calling it vibrato just seems like using a latin term to cover up an unpleasant sound. You'd never call warbling a pure sound but the the likes of Alison Krauss are pure - no warbling. I suppose I'm just becoming picky.
    Can you give me some examples Clive? I have much of her early stuff and can't say I've noticed. Another person who didn't 'warble' was the late Sandy Denny.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast