+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caiman - Toslink or SPDIF + burn-in time

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I've been using the 5m version of this optical lead http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35921 from Sky+ box to Beresford TC7510 for a while with very good results.

Chris
    That's great, thanks Chris - I might be able to get away with a 5m with a bit of juggling anyway... ta again.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    i always find im much less aware in changes of sound quality when im using my eyes
    the digi box into 7520 made a good bit of difference but i wouldnt worry to much about the quality of cable if i were you.... unless of course you intend to listen to the radio via sky.... in which case ignor me
    Well, It's connected up now from the audio out (RCA's) with a 10m ebay extremely cheap cable, and been so for years, so inclined to agree with you there Hamish (I don't do Sky Radio) - so clearly any connection into the Caiman will be an improvement... Hmmmm... think I'll go for a cheapy and see how it goes...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I hear no difference between Stan's Toslink, a longer Toslink he chose for me off ebay and a 1.5m coax.

The USB is a noticeably rougher, but its and old cheap USB lead.

If I buy a better on to try, what should I get?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I hear no difference between Stan's Toslink, a longer Toslink he chose for me off ebay and a 1.5m coax.

The USB is a noticeably rougher, but its and old cheap USB lead.

If I buy a better on to try, what should I get?
    Stan is working on his own. I got a Belkin "Signature Series" which has gold plated connectors, and a blue led in each end to indicate connection (I'm a sucker for blue led's - only reason I bought the Beresford ) Next to nothing (£6 posted) from fleabay.

I haven't bothered to go back and a/b compared to the cheapie I had, but overall I am very happy with the sound from USB.
    Alex

I'm Gints.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    If you use my own branded TOSLINK cable you'll be able to match the quality of any SPDIF cable out there.

Burn in time for the caps is specified at 200 hours or more by the caps manufacturer.

STan
    Can we have a link to documentation or datasheet where it is written? Serious, I have coming up discussion about this subject in other place. Would be nice to have some evidence. And is it any difference in using terms burn-in and break-in?
    Last edited by Gints; 04-09-2009 at 16:53.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    HDMI or Optical only - back to the toslink option I fear, but thanks anyway Mike.
    What make of Sky HD box have you got? The original Thomsons (with component video outputs) only have toslink. But the newer Pace and Samsung models have both coax and toslink.

I know because I really wish my Thomson only has optical and I would really like coax as well.

I am toying with the idea of modding my Thomson box to add a coax output - it seems it would be pretty easy to do. I have simple circuit diagram and just need to figure out where to pick up the digital signal from on the PCB (presumably just before it goes into the optical converter) and also a 5V line and a signal ground. It's probably a 1 hour job start to finish, including drilling the hole on the back and adding the extra phono.

Quote Originally Posted by Gints View Post
    Can we have a link to documentation or datasheet where it is written? Serious, I have coming up discussion about this subject in other place. Would be nice to have some evidence. And is it any difference in using terms burn-in and break-in?
    I wrote a lengthy piece on: http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk...highlight=burn some time ago.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy_boy View Post
    What make of Sky HD box have you got? The original Thomsons (with component video outputs) only have toslink. But the newer Pace and Samsung models have both coax and toslink.

I know because I really wish my Thomson only has optical and I would really like coax as well.
    Hi Chippy - yep, mine's a Thompson (so apart from the £299 price tag, another reason not to be an "early adopter"!) - to be honest, not worried enough to do a conversion, as it''s usually only for the odd film, only stereo - but good luck with yours.
    Alex

I'm Gints.

Thanks Stan, nice and simple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123