+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile output on Mac OSX

I'm Doug.

I no longer upsample to 48kHz in itTunes - just 16-bit 44.1kHz - when ripping CDs.

But I do often upsample to 96kHz in Audirvana Plus (the max for my current DAC), depending on the music.

I'm andrew.

When ripping a cd you should do it in its native format ie 16/44 anything else will not be bit perfect.
    Andy.

I'm John.

There's not much point in ripping audio from a 16/44.1 CD to a higher sample rate, I can't see how it would improve the quality.

I'm yet to try the various bits of software suggested in this thread, but I'm intrigued and will do soon.

I'm Mike.

Why would you want you want to interpolate/pad bit depth? It's not like you are adding anything to the original files, i surely hope?
    And in my opinion you are leading people astray by recommending them to NOT store bit perfect copies of their precious music files.

Please note! I'm not saying it doesn't sound better in your current config, but that would be IN YOUR CURRENT CONFIG!
    Why do i even bother commenting them? Well, i'm on a mission to rescue people from having to rip their CD's over again!

No, please rip your CD's as bit perfect as you possibly can! If you feel like experimenting, please convert your files using whatever software, but KEEP THE ORIGINAL COPIES AS BACKUP!

OF course this is as always my personal opinion, and your milage may vary...
    /Mike

I'm BigBobJoylove.

It's why I open with "in my opinion". At no point do I suggest that it's the only way to import discs or that everyone should import their entire collection again. It's simply a thread on discussion with the post updated to reflect my most recent findings.

I have personally found that importing and maintaining the music files through the chain at 32 bits is of superior quality, and I have re-imported CDs previously imported in 16 bit to draw comparison. I thought I'd share that for someone wishing to learn more about Mac OS X's audio abilities.

Sigh.

Anyway, I've removed the title post so this thread is now completely open discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    ...if you would like to rip using something more competent i would like to recommend XLD...
    I used XLD for years and it's good, I find MAX to be a lot better though.

Quote Originally Posted by jdpanoptic View Post
    There's not much point in ripping audio from a 16/44.1 CD to a higher sample rate, I can't see how it would improve the quality.
    Have you tried it or are you making an assumption that it won't be better?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Anyway, I've removed the title post so this thread is now completely open discussion.
    Ahhh, that was not my intention!
    I will gladly discuss this way of storing music as i also stated earlier! However, the reason for my jumping at you like that is the fact that this thread is a 'sticky' and therefore have sort of 'How-To'-status?
    I may be very wrong here but imo sticky's reflect facts, rather than subjective discussion.

Have you tried increasing bit depth/resampling your files by software rather than re-ripping the records? There are quite a few options i believe...
    And that is my main point; If you still have your 'bit perfect' file in lossless Red Book resolution on your hard drive, you can pretty much try anything with them without having to resort to the tedious task of ripping 'em again!

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I used XLD for years and it's good, I find MAX to be a lot better
    Please explain? I was unable to get Max working on my OS X Lion and therefore started with XLD instead, and it sort of stuck..

Regards /Mike

I'm Sandro.

Hi guys,
    I read all this thread, and I'm now confused.
    I just started using my old MacMini G4 as a music server.
    I bought a 1TB USB HD (now storage is no more an issue ) and I was thinking about storing there the best part of my CD collection.
    I thought that copying the wav files from the CDs to the HD was the most simple and effective way to be sure I was not losing any information. Isn't this true ?

I'm Mike.

Hi Sandro!

Getting started with file based audio can be tedious task as it takes some time, effort and engagement.
    There are, in my opinion, a couple of good advice to adhere to:
    1. Use a good ripping software, XLD/Max in Mac OS or EAC in Windows and configure for best quality!
    2. Rip to a lossless format, AIFF/WAV or their compressed cousins Apple Lossless/FLAC.
    3. Store these files safely, using regular BACKUP's to a second storage which is stored at your mother in law or similar.

To me it goes without saying that the rips should be stored in Bit Perfect resolution, which for RedBook CD's should be 16bit 44.1kHz.

Once you've come this far, you have the option of converting your files to other formats easily or resampling if thats your 'cuppa tea'.
    But, never mess with the original rips!

Regards //Mike

I'm John.

Default Help Needed - Mac digital output

Hi, I'm trying to feed my MacBook digital output via Toslink through DAC to amp...whilst this works for my Squeezebox I can't get it to work on the Mac.....

I'm using a mini-jack to Toslink converter, then a Toslink cable, and there's a red light at the end of the cable when it's connected to the Mac.

My suspicion is that digital-output is not properly set up in "audio midi set up" utility as I can't change the volume sliders which are all set to Value zero and dB zero.

Any advice....I'm using 10.6.8 on the mac.

Apologies if this is a bit basic, but I'm not digitally competent

Cheers all

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Mike.

S'pose you've made sure the correct output is chosen in System Settings-Audio?
    I've seen Mac's default to other outputs at times.

Is the correct output shown in Midi-settings?

If you unplug the Toslink Cable, does the music start playing in the internal speaker?

Lets hear the results, please!

Regards /Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast