+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Thread: Beresford Bushmaster DAC Reviews

I'm Barry.

^Thats a rather nice buffet going on there

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    So you're not hearing your Touch delivering any hardness in the upper mids and highs (I'm assuming you're using the Bushmaster)? If that's the case, I think I'll have to indeed try going back to square one...
    Nope - Touch with standard PSU (for the moment - new one coming soon), Bushmaster running from 12V battery. Co-ax connection into Input 3. Running EDO and all unnecessary add-ins disabled. Standard Logitech Media Server with a variety of file formats on a W7 desktop machine. Cabled ethernet connection.

No hardness, just superb detail.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Nope - Touch with standard PSU (for the moment - new one coming soon), Bushmaster running from 12V battery. Co-ax connection into Input 3. Running EDO and all unnecessary add-ins disabled. Standard Logitech Media Server with a variety of file formats on a W7 desktop machine. Cabled ethernet connection.

No hardness, just superb detail.
    Sounds great. Gotta get me that 12V battery (just after I've solemnly swore to my wife that there will be no-more-audio-purchases!)
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Simon.

I love the idea that a digital source could be damaging the signal in someway to affect a specific frequency band- that's genius. 'If' the dac sounds like that it's the dac that sounds like that, the Touch just passes the bits onwards.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    ^Thats a rather nice buffet going on there
    It was lovely ... The joys of uhes
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm alan.

Been there,thought i recognised the table,and the statue,that room can be an expensive place to be in.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    'If' the dac sounds like that it's the dac that sounds like that, the Touch just passes the bits onwards.
    If we were to accept that, all digital transports and streamers should sound the same. After all, it's only the DACs that sound different. Is that really your experience?

I'm Gary.

Oh well.
    thats that then...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    If we were to accept that, all digital transports and streamers should sound the same. After all, it's only the DACs that sound different. Is that really your experience?
    There is a school of thought (and I'm using the word 'thought' in a very special sense here) that claims that a shitty $20 DVD player from Walmart, when used as a digital transport into an outboard DAC, sounds exactly the same as the ultra high-end $20,000 digital transport.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    There is a school of thought (and I'm using the word 'thought' in a very special sense here) that claims that a shitty $20 DVD player from Walmart, when used as a digital transport into an outboard DAC, sounds exactly the same as the ultra high-end $20,000 digital transport.
    To be honest, that is EXACTLY my thought. I do not use a DAC inside any device, I only own external DACs (Stan's, Moodlab Concept), and I do use unspecific sources that all sound the same when configured to output bitferfect:

Dell D830 on docking station with coax and Foobar/Asio
    Acer 1810TZ with toslink and Foobar/Asio
    Asrock Z77 Pro3 workstation with coax and Foobar/Asio
    Squeezebox Touch with Toslink
    'Shitty' 18€ DVD-Player with toslink (bitperfect configurable!)
    'Expensive' ex-1800€ DVD-Player with coax
    Panasonic 42inch plasma with toslink

And IMHO the effects on the source side on SQ are neglectable when compared to a exchange of speakers, DAC, or amp.
    Primary . . . . SBT > Beresford Bushmaster DAC > Alex Ederer 300B SE> Klipsch RF-7 (102db) / AKG K-701
    Secondary . SBT > Beresford Caiman > Trends Audio TA10.1 > Castle Howard S3 (89db)
    Tertiary . . . .Workstation PC SPDIF (Toslink) ASIO > Beresford TC-7510 MK III > Kingrex T20U+PSU > Klipsch RB-25 (94db)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast