Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
Not so sure about that. Plenty of rubbish valve amps around. I've heard some shockers. But I also think the best power amps I have heard (to date) have used valves. Power is really the problem, restricting the speaker options. Good and powerful valve amps are mega money and that isn't true of solid state.
OK Martin, I'll go with that because so far I have not heard any shocking valve amps only trannie ones. The cheapest valve amp I ever heard was an Audion Sterling ETSE EL34 single ended and the midrange was sublime. Back then, around 1997,
it was 600 quid brand new and I got a secondhand one for 400 notes just to try out. Gorgeous midrange but only enough power really for my Audio Note AZ 2's and then really sounded its best on acoustic music. Since then my music taste has changed considerably.

I also concede due to listening that big bold powerful trannie amps have an urge and excitement that I have always found missing from valves but that is probably because I have never owned a big bold powerful valve amp. I remember once hearing a Tube Technology Synergy amp, at least I think that was the name, and it was big and bold.