+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beresford upgrade with LM4562 gone wrong?

I'm Daniel.

Default Beresford upgrade with LM4562 gone wrong?

Hi.

I just got the LM4562 opamps. From what I've read, you can just replace the old ones with these with no hassle.

However, the DAC now outputs an extremely noisy signal; impossible to listen to. It's like a listening to a... no it's just TERRIBLE. Replacing the new opamps with the old ones fixed the problem

What could be wrong? Are the opamps defect? Anyone experienced this?

I have found a workaround though.

* Remove the left-most opamp, leaving nothing in its place, as seen in this picture, http://www.hifiwatcher.com/wp-conten.../07/Tirna1.jpg
    * Set the volume knob to 0.
    * Listen to sound on fixed output only

Replacing the left-most opamp with the stock one + LM4562 increases the volume, but Im not sure which ones are playing then...?

Fortunately I have an external headphone amplifier so I'm good, but this kinda sucks all-in-all.

Suggestions?

I'm Steven.

Yes, contact Stan.
    Yamaha - Pioneer - Bluesound - Squeezebox - Beresford - Chario - MJ Acoustics - iBasso

Yamaha RX-V1300 * Bluesound Node 2 * Pioneer DV-656A SACD/DVDA * Squeezebox Touch + BotW linear psu + SBooster * Bushmaster Mk2 + Beresford Dorado * Beresford Capella * Chario Syntar 200T (front) + Chario Syntar 200 (rear) + Chario Syntar Dialoque (center) * MJ Acoustics Pro50 (sub) * LG OLED 55C8 * iBasso D2+ * beyerdynamic DT990/250 * Belkin AV 53001 speaker cables * Mark Grant G1000HD ic * Silver High Breed ic * Mike Homar WBT'ed digital coax * Beresford TRC-222 digital coax * Supra USB * Beresford TC 3618 toslink

Steven

Sorry to ask but are you sure that you have fitted the LM4562 the right way round. Check that the little dot is as per the picture on Stan's site.

The left opamp does the variable output and the right one the headphone output. If you remove the left one you will still have sound through the DAC but it is very quiet.

Regards

Chris

I'm Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Sorry to ask but are you sure that you have fitted the LM4562 the right way round. Check that the little dot is as per the picture on Stan's site.

The left opamp does the variable output and the right one the headphone output. If you remove the left one you will still have sound through the DAC but it is very quiet.

Regards

Chris
    Not at first, but I fitted them the right way quickly.

Maybe this could have something to do with it? Do the opamps break if fitted the wrong way?

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Installing the op-amps the wrong way around and powering up for only a second can damage them
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Installing the op-amps the wrong way around and powering up for only a second can damage them
    Oh well... that probably solves this problem :-).

Gotta buy some new ones then ^^

its an easy mistake to make and usually always fatal to dual op-amps, the usual sign of a damaged chip is overblown distorted sound sometimes no sound at all.
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Daniel.

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    its an easy mistake to make and usually always fatal to dual op-amps, the usual sign of a damaged chip is overblown distorted sound sometimes no sound at all.
    I fried them. One of them are dead slient, while the other produces heavily overblown and distorted sound. Now I just proved to the entire forum that I'm an idiot

Thanks for the fast reply by the way. $10 isnt that much of an investment, but now I have to wait another two weeks for the new ones to arrive ;]

No probs, you live and learn At least it wasn't something like tant caps, those make nice fireworks if installed the wrong way around

Let us know how you get on with the replacement op-amps
    Cheers,
    Leo

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by kabforks View Post
    I fried them. One of them are dead slient, while the other produces heavily overblown and distorted sound. Now I just proved to the entire forum that I'm an idiot ]
    Unlucky. Don't worry about looking like an idiot to the entire forum, most of us do it all the time! I'm sure you won't make the same mistake again!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast