+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Optical or RCA ?

I'm colin.

Sorry i havent made it clear. The choice is not between a toslink or co axial digital.
    The Yamaha links with my stereo amp with ordinary stereo interconnects and the tv will be linked to the processor with the optical.
    If i keep the processor and amp together on the rack to the side of the room, about 5 m from the tv, i will have to get a long optical to connect to the tv.
    If i put the processor under the tv i will have to use a short optical but link the amps, now seperated by 5m, with a long pair of stereo interconnects because everything ,including stereo sources that go into my stereo amp, go through the Yamaha.
    Which way would be better?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Long Toslink.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm colin.

Thanks

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Long Toslink.
    +1
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm colin.

Never bought an optical cable before , i get the idea they vary in quality more than analogue cables. Maybe Mark Grant could make me something that long.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Well you have a choice, polycarbonate or glass fibre. If you care for quality then i'd definately go for a glass fibre optical cable with that kind of length, not exactly cheap though unfortunately

I'd suggest a PM to Mark Grant as i know he sells the glass fibre type & as you say, he might be able to sort you something out

He's certainly helped sort me a load of stuff out, top bloke!
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm colin.

Yes,Mark appears to do glass fibre.
    I have never shown any interest in digital audio or home cinema before but as you can probably tell im on one at the moment
    Watching kef eggs on e bay and various subs. Hope its all worth it.
    Ive never heard a good system before, the ones i have heard have been all in one cinema in a box type and they have never impressed me, but im up for giving it a go.

Take your time Colin, you don't want to rush this Fools rush in & all that...

Far better to get a good feel for what it's all about so you can make properly informed decisions
    Bests, Mark

I'm colin.

LOL yeah thanks Mark.

Actually whilst preparing my dinner i was thinking about what you mentioned... I'd forget about the Kef eggs if i was you These really are kind of entry level things that look very nice indeed but will soon become quite lacking in performance. The reason being is that as the drivers are so small (4" if i remember right) they do bugger all bass. Now you may well think that it doesn't matter as you'll have a sub, but it will because the small drivers might get you to 100Hz & at this high a crossover frequency you'll start noticing the position of the sub in the room whilst listening. Not only that but they'll soon run out of headroom when things get serious

I know WAF factor may be involved but if i was you i'd look for a decent pair of small standmount speakers for the rear surrounds, something like Mission 780SE would be great imo as you could integrate them much easier & probably buy the things cheaper than the eggs
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast