+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now able to post

I'm John.

Default Now able to post

I originally joined a couple of months ago, I was not able to post after a while another member contacted an administrator who suggested I tried again using a different name and password. So I did as "big john" again I was unable to post, Mark from Malvern Audio Research added a Welcome message stating my predicament. I believe only one account is allowed so can big john be erased please.

About me, I am a child of the 1940's originally playing 78's on a wind up gramophone at 7 years old. First electric TT was a Beogram 1001, in the early 1970's I was given a Michell badged Transcriptors built Hydraulic Reference TT. Now modified to a Maxon DC motor. the THR TT has a modified at my suggestion a solid counterweight stub by George himself to my Hadcock 242 Silver arm with XTC underslung counterweight with a Cartridgeman Musicmaster cartridge with Isolator. I use a Ming Da MC7R preamp modified by Mark at Malvern Audio Research/Ming Da UK. Power amp Rogue Atlas Magnum, feeding One Thing Audio Quad 57's on Rupert stands. Speaker leads are DIY TNT Ubyte cables a Cross-connected dual coaxial speaker cable. DIY Phono leads are 7N OHNO copper. I also use a pension friendly Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado 3 with SEG 50 the latest operating chip & mods. Cambridge CD4se, Philips CD104 NOS converted and re clocked by my son, Leak Troughline with Tim de Paravicini stereo decoder last of all Aiwa S959 cassette deck.

Music taste, Buddy Holly to Byrd, plain chant to Prodigy + Indian music though not singing.

I'm Grant.

welcome john... big john is gone lol.. sorry for delays but we had issues. i hope you enjoy the forum.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    welcome john... big john is gone lol.. sorry for delays but we had issues. i hope you enjoy the forum.
    I was still here so thank you...

I'm Grant.

Yes I deleted it. Again apologies for delay
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome back John.

As Grant says we have had a problem in clearing new applications, or in your case sort out logging in problems.

But you are back with us now, and I found your introduction interesting reading. In some ways our music paths were/are similar: I still use (original) Quad 57s, have a Leak 'Troughline' tuner and my first CDP was a Phillips 104B. Love your wide tastes in music, again similar to mine.

So, sorry for the problems, welcome back, and enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Glad you got here eventually!

I've got a Ming Da pre too, an MD7-SE which uses 4 of the lovely 6SN7 valves, my favourite pre/driver valve. It sounds beautiful so I'm sure yours does too.

I've had a couple of CD104s over the years I always wanted to get it converted to a transport but I read that the circuit makes it nigh on impossible.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome back John.

As Grant says we have had a problem in clearing new applications, or in your case sort out logging in problems.

But you are back with us now, and I found your introduction interesting reading. In some ways our music paths were/are similar: I still use (original) Quad 57s, have a Leak 'Troughline' tuner and my first CDP was a Phillips 104B. Love your wide tastes in music, again similar to mine.

So, sorry for the problems, welcome back, and enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Things happen I'm not offended. I first heard the Quad ESL at the Radio show at Olympia 1956 single speaker voiced for mono. Late 1970's before I could buy new, had a dalliance with quadraphonic. As for the the Philips CD104(A) I bought one about 1984, I gave it to my my son, 5 years at college an apprenticeship now a senior multi skilled technician. He soldered the wire into the "Griplets" removed the SAA7030 over sampler & a 24 pin socket fitted/soldered off eBay a non oversampling/re-clock circuit in place, from a guy in Bulgaria, a lot better than just the 4 wires & the resistor. It was so good I bought another which my son did the same to, watching my son solder in a 20 pin a side chip socket 20 seconds a side, it would take me 5 minutes a side.at 14 bits sounds so analogue better than the CD4se until I upgraded the Caiman SEG to SEG 50 and super cap and clock mods by Stan no real comparison now The Caiman SEG is so very good.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Welcome back John, and as others have said, sorry for the gremlins. Hope you enjoy AoS.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Glad you got here eventually!

I've got a Ming Da pre too, an MD7-SE which uses 4 of the lovely 6SN7 valves, my favourite pre/driver valve. It sounds beautiful so I'm sure yours does too.

I've had a couple of CD104s over the years I always wanted to get it converted to a transport but I read that the circuit makes it nigh on impossible.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    When Mark told me he preferred the MD7SE I replaced the valves in the MC7R with a pair of 1958 Foton 6N8S & a pair of very good Chinese genuine old stock metal base military 6N9P (lots of fakes) in the 12AU7 holes using adapters Mark converted it to all DC heaters reduced the negative feedback by more than half + a myriad of other modifications. I also use a a Russian 1958 a winged =C= Svetlana 5C3S/"5U3C" rectifier bought from a Ukrainian supplier thankfully living in Germany who has become an email friend.

I have seen on a NOS CD104 conversion item a picture of 2 wires soldered to a circuit board taking the digital output from the CD104. Try looking up a CD104 NOS conversion how to. I have tried but my internet is in and out after massive local work today this is my 3rd attempt to post this. I have just had a look I cant find anything will keep looking lampizator evaluated it as a transport I cant find the article. .
    Last edited by palace; 07-03-2022 at 23:59. Reason: additional info...

I'm Geoff.

Hello John, glad you can join in now. Welcome to AOS.

I have a feeling you me have been at this Hi-Fi stuff maybe even longer than my fifty years of tinkering.

Looks like you're just up the road from me, I know Ealing like the back of my hand! Which bit are you in?

Join in the chat, the members are friendly and there's plenty to get involved with.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast