+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted: SME 3009 SII (Improved) Parts

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Fleabay have loads of SME parts (the heavier counterweight [for the S2 Imp model] works well if you want to increase the mass of the tonearm - I can't remember which arm you have), but I don't know if SME supplied parts are very much dearer...

Instead of the blac-tac between cart and headshell, try a piece of green card-table baize instead. It transformed a V15 III I tried it with in an SME headshell.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Here's the SME prices -

Balance Weight GBP 35.38
    Rider Weight GBP 23.88
    Bias Guide GBP 24.00
    Headshell, Detachable GBP 85.00
    Output Socket Coversion Kit GBP 216.00
    P1 Spacer GBP 38.10

+VAT & postage
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

They're having a laugh IMO. £216 for the phono conversion kit? £85 for an S2 headshell that cost £6 back in 1979 or thereablouts (wish my income had gone up by the same multiplier).

Alex, you can buy a COMPLETE Series 2 Imp tonearm for less than £216.....

I know it's great that you can still get practically all the parts new, but at least there are loads of bitsers out there so many parts are cheap on fleabay.

Gawd, about time SME came into the *hard-up* 21st Century instead of living off a reputation (well earned I admit).

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The output socket conversion kit looks a bit pricey, the rest is not significantly more expensive than Ebay "buy it now" parts.
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 29-07-2010 at 20:43.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Put it this way, I shall be trying a lot harder to restore the parts I still have, and looking to ebay for the others - no mad rush, I'm only after improving the cosmetics...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

That phono socket conversion is beautifully done I admit, but £216??????

There's another I've seen on ebay for well under £30 from the US and although not as elegant, it looks good to me.

The SME I have coming is with the original 4 pin plug and socket (horizontal entry though). I'll just have to get the silver-dip out to clean the pins

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    There's another I've seen on ebay for well under £30 from the US and although not as elegant, it looks good to me.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_562wt_1137

I think it was the one I posted in my other 401 thread: $30 delivered = £19.23. = No-brainer (and duly ordered )
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12