+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MBL 116F Elegance Radialstrahler speakers - Review & Blog

I'm gone.

Default MBL 116F Elegance Radialstrahler speakers - Review & Blog

Got these last Tuesday, just on a week ago.

MBLs have been my Dream Speakers for years but were simply not an option due to the extravagant pricing. But the missus saw me ogling some pics of them on t'internet.
    "My dream speakers" I said.
    "Why don't you get them, then" she said.
    "They cost umpty-ump ŁK" I said.
    "Well, get them anyway" she said.
    So I did.

From those nice Scottish fellas at Audio Emotion. On 30 day trial. To save you reading the rest of the review ... I really don't think they are going back.

Funny looking things, aren't they. Actually, in a Dalek kind of way, they look very impressive. Swmbo likes them, too.
    Totally minging if you take off the metal grille, though - luckily (and contrary to some of the reviews of MBL speakers I have seen) they sound fine with the grilles on.

About 4 foot high, with the grilles.
    A 4-way design. two 8.5 inch aluminium bass cones, two 5.5 inch lower midrange cones, and one each of those funny Radialstrahler drivers for the upper mids (above about 650Hz) and treble.
    One bass driver cone and one lower-mid cone on each side of the cabinet.

Those Radialstrahler drivers are what the speaker is all about, really. Carbon fibre 'petals' arranged in a circle. They flex along with the electrical signal and create a true 360 degree omnidirectional sound source. Clever stuff.

They are said to need 100 hours to run in, and I can well believe that. On first hearing the bass, the phrase "tight as a duck's arse" sprang immediately to mind, and no real deep bass either. Whoops - these babes can do with loosening up a bit! But after about 30 hours of use so far, they are loosening up and going deeper quite nicely. And while the sound seemed very coherent to start with, that aspect is really coming on song now.

The resolution of fine detail seems easily on a par with the Martin Logan CLS2z full range stats I had last year, but they go deeper & better in the bass and the 3D imaging is definitely superior.

3D imaging? Jeezus H. C on a pushbike. Simply amazing. The musicians are in front of you. Simple as that.

I've been driving them with my little AVI Lab Series integrated. Don't laugh! - a very fine amp with oodles of uncoloured power and control.
    But I do wonder how they would be with some valve watts up them ... something tells me that the MBLs would be in their element in many ways with a touch of glass behind them ... so I have a Graaf 5050 valve power amp on order.
    Fun times.

Anyway, enough prattling for now ... I am sure there is a lot more running in to do and that the sound will continue to change and, hopefully, get even better as the days go happily and musically by.

I shall end this first post with a system pic ....

I'm Steve.

Hey Jerry.

Thanks for the post and the pics, great to hear you're getting on well with them.

Will be posting some pics and comments on my new WBs shortly but have decided to wait until the ATC pre/power is in place too and cover off both at once.

Roll-on Friday!
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm ILOB.

Great to hear they fitted so well within your system I am really looking forward to hearing what they do with Valves I never really listened to Ommi directional speakers and Imagine they have a very 3d sound
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    On first hearing the bass, the phrase "tight as a duck's arse" sprang immediately to mind
    Does that explain the new Avatar, Jerry?

Glad you're getting on well with them. And you are very lucky to have Mrs Jerry, might I suggest! Enjoy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm gone.

Well, quite a big change yesterday ... I took away the wallmounted GIK Acoustics mid/treble absorbers from behind the speakers (see photo in first post on this thread).

Ah. Wow. Hmmm ... not all room treatments are good for all speakers! Seems that those panels have been turning the MBLs into more of a front-firing speaker than an omni. What was good imaging has just got a fair bit better. Well, an awful lot better actually.

Taking the panel away from behind the listening seat (I sit close to the rear wall) was a bad move, though - that one's a keeper.

I then tried mounting the now-freed-up back panels at the rear corners of the room (same wall as the spejkers) ... ooo, no , suddenly the treble openness and sparkle disappears.

So with the MBLs - room treatment behind the speakers is def not advised, the omni thing likes to do its stuff unfettered, although a panel behind the listener works well.

Funny stuff, hifi! - the rear panels had worked well enough with 'normal' speakers.

Listening today to some very large scale music - My Gawd, these things can sling it out! The only 'home' system I have heard that was as good as this at large scale stuff while remaining clean and tonally neutral belonged to Mick at Unique Audio, he had big Rockport speakers and Jadis JA200 amps and a Rockport turntable. Now that was a mega system!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The big MBL's are the only speaker I've heard that can get close to the physicality of sound that a big Church pipe organ creates with all the stops out.

I can imagine that you're very pleased with your 116F's.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm gone.

A tale of two amps ....

The Graaf 5050 and a Lyngdorf SDAi2175 integrated.
    Yup, long-time Jerry-Watchers will recall that I've had a Lyngdorf before and liked it, but I thought I'd try one again as I suspected it would be a fine match for the MBLs.

Very different beasts! The Graaf is about transparency and incisiveness and uber-control alongside a beguiling 3D soundstage, with a somewhat lean tonality; the Lyngdorf majors on relaxed musicality with a warm and succulent midrange.

Without doubt, the Graaf has superior apparent power and grip - even (especially?) in the bass. There is more slam and tautness to be had from the Graaf's 50 watts than the Lyngdorf's 220w ... go figure! I daresay that would change if the Graaf's power limits were reached, but I've played some pretty heavy stuff with the combo and it hasn't happened yet!

Which amp is best? Well, neither. Both are excellent in their different ways with the music. I am currently swapping them over every few days and enjoying the different presentations on offer. The Graaf is an exciting ride, but after a while it's nice to return to the more relaxed and gentle musicality of the Lyngdorf.

I tried early on bi-amping the 'obvious' way with the Graaf on the mid & treble Radialstrahler units and the Lyngdorf's mighty 220w on the bass - but that didn't seem to gell well at all.
    Now that I have sussed out the relative merits of the two amps, I'll hook them up the other way around with the Graaf on the bass. Maybe later today ....
    Last edited by jandl100; 18-06-2010 at 09:32.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I tried early on bi-amping the 'obvious' way with the Graaf on the mid & treble Radialstrahler units and the Lyngdorf's mighty 220w on the bass - but that didn't seem to gell well at all.
    Now that I have sussed out the relative merits of the two amps, I'll hook them up the other way around with the Graaf on the bass. Maybe later today ....
    Hey Jerry.

Do you know if the gain of the two amps matches? If it doesn't then using different amps is going to throw the HF/LF balance out of wack.

As I've discovered myself, the relative power of the two amps doesn't matter. just the gain.

Dave Rothwell of Rothwell Attenuators will make up custom sets to gain match amps and only charges his normal price for doing so.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm gone.

Yeah - the gain is damn close between the 2 amps - when swapping amps I never felt the need to change the volume control setting.

The character of the 2 beasties is just too different for a good match.

I'm Deleted.

You seem to enjoy living with the most extraordinary level of clutter Jerry.

I bet the whole thing would sound a lot better if you moved that big telly and pile of equipment from between the speakers.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast