+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First Turntable/Arm/Cartridge

I'm joe.

BSR thingie with Empire cartridge.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by horace View Post
    My first deck was a Trio belt drive (no idea of the model number) which was originally bought by my dad in the early 70s.

It was quite a looker - the plinth was either rosewood or mahogany. Sounded very 'pipe and slippers' and sent a strangely comforting gentle metalic 'kerr-ploink' through the speakers whenever the semi-auto mechanism operated.

Ah, those were the days.

The Trio later made way for a Dual 505, which sounded better but was horribly plasticky and didn't provide the same sense of pride of ownership.

My first 'proper' deck was a Manticore Mantra, which blew me away completely. All upgrades since then have been relatively minor by comparison. One hell of a record spinner, that Mantra........

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Martin
    Well...if yer gonna do nostalgia and Dad's
    I still have terribly fond memories of my Dad's Pye Black Box.
    Bless' im.

I can remember getting back late from the pub/parties, whatever,around '75 and putting a cushion on the floor with the two speakers forming a triangle over my spinning head.
    We woz too poor for 'eadphones in them days.

Did Lindisfarne or Yes ever sound better? Probably not.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Garrard AP76 with Goldring G800 (later, M75-ED) and Goldring VV7 phono stage.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

It was a Sharp something or other, from Second-Hand Land in Norwich. No idea what cartridge it had, I just bought it because my midi system one was crap and broken... Then I got given the Garrard 401/SME 2009/Shure M75 combo - happy days, though I never knew anything of it's pedigree or desirability until relatively recently.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

First stand alone TT..... Amstrad TP12D with standard arm and either G800 or MP11 can't remember which was first (c'mon it was 1976)
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    First stand alone TT..... Amstrad TP12D with standard arm and either G800 or MP11 can't remember which was first (c'mon it was 1976)
    It'll be Goldring 'G800'

I'm Steve.

Probably, I've had a few sleeps since then and I know I had both at some time and a shure of some form possibly a V15
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

I'm Shaun.

Garrard GT35 with an Ortofon FF15E cartridge. I liked it a lot at the time but it was replaced with a Thorens TD160BC with a Mayware Formula IV arm and a Lentek Entre 1 cartridge.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post
    Probably, I've had a few sleeps since then and I know I had both at some time and a shure of some form possibly a V15
    Well the MP11 wasnt out then

I'm King.

My first turntable was a JVC QL-70 fitted with a SME III arm and Signet TK7E cartridge which I bought from the now deceased Radford Hi- FI in Bristol. But within a few months I bought a Denon DP80 with Micro Seiki MA505S and SAEC 308L tonearms from Hong Kong, since then my itch has never stopped.
    King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast