+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Collections: How Do You Store Yours?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Music Collections: How Do You Store Yours?

This has come out of another thread when I mentioned owning 3,000 CDs and Barry asked how I catalogue them all, and Garry (quadsugdenman) asked how I store them - so rather than crap all over the other thread, here's a new topic for all of us to share our methods in the madness!

Firstly, I am completely anal about my CDs, they have to be in alphabetical order, and chronologically for each artist. I don't Catalogue my CDs as such, but the first thing I do is rip the CD to itunes, in AAC format, 256kbps, which is purely for use on my ipod or for streaming background music. (I may revisit this now data storage is so cheap, but that's another story.) I have an old laptop dedicated to being a music server with a 250GB external hard-drive (+ another 2 backups kept separately) connected to the Caiman by USB and I also use this for Spotify or internet radio through the Hifi.

I'm also fanatical about getting the album artwork right in itunes. Apart from having a (lower quality) copy of the audio for ipod duties, the spin-off is that itunes now becomes my CD database - because I have only ever downloaded a few tracks, virtually everything on itunes represents a physical CD. This means I can use the search facility to find a track or artist, and see exactly which CD I need to find. This is also great for double-checking I'm not buying a duplicate! Has happened a few times anyway! So that's how I "catalogue" my collection. I can also access the server remotely from my main laptop by my listening position and view all the tracks/albums etc.

Now to storage then. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room to keep CDs in their original packaging, so the first thing I do is to recycle the jewel cases. I keep the sleeve notes, and put them with the CD in a plastic CD wallet. These come from Tesco now, (they're the best I've found as they are the clearest) although when I started doing this 10 years ago I had to order them by the thousand direct from the manufacturer (2,000 lasted me about 7 years.) I then take the back paper cover/track list and these are eventually stored in the loft, along with any "digipacs" - I just keep the CD on its own in a sleeve.

What this means is that effectively I "compress" my collection to 1/4 of it's size. I put all of the main artist CDs into separate CD boxes - like this one ("I to Ku", but it doesn't matter (bonus point for spotting what is the one sticking up...)) The boxes are designed to take 25 CDs in cases, but by slimming them down I can get around 100 in each.

There are 15 of the main artist boxes, giving around half of the main collection. However, there are some artists who haven't been thinned down - i.e The Beatles and Depeche Mode - recently acquired all the remasters and these are kept separately. You can see the top 3 shelves in the filing cupboard are for the "artist" albums:

Hard to see, but the bottom shelf is double-stacked - so there are 10 boxes on this shelf - which explains the bowing (it's not the lens!) This is all my compilation albums, of which I seem to have rather a lot - as well as classical, SACDs and anything that hasn't made it into my main collection - stuff I will never likely play again, which doesn't "pollute" the main collection!

CD Singles and more stuff that is even less likely to get played again (free CDs from magazines, HMV samplers etc.) are stored upstairs in a spare bedroom, along with my vinyl albums and 12" singles:

Because I tend to play vinyl upstairs more than downstairs I have been happy with the arrangement, but in an ideal world, I would like to get everything in one room. I rarely play CD singles, usually playing the itunes version if there is something I want to hear.

I would love to be able to have kept all the CDs in their original cases on proper shelves but it is only now that I would have had anywhere near enough room (I lived in a small flat until 5 years ago after divorce from the first wife, so something had to give.)

So there you go - blame Barry & Garry - they did ask!

How do you do yours?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Garry.

Thanks Alex. Nice idea and I bet it maximises the space available. You are really well organised in cataloging and storing such a considerable collection (you are to be congratulated!!).
    I have only just moved and downsized from a house where I had my own study and music room to a bugalow, so space is now at a premium. Thus the interest in how you managed to store 3000 cds and keep tabs on them.
    Most of mine are still boxed awaiting unpacking and inspiration on how to store them! You have given me some good ideas.
    Once I have secured further space I will report back. Thanks once again.

Gazza
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Rip them to FLAC and store them away.

I'm drunk.

OOh, I know that one.

KLF - Chill Out.

That is a very novel way of storing your CD's. I still use a couple of large book cases.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post

How do you do yours?
    Alex i have exactly the same problem & probably more anal than you about correctness in every respect. I need to keep mine in the original cases & i have a lot of Japanese card sleeve editions, i prefer to file CD on shelves like records..I have tho re-engineered the living room layout (on paper) to accomodate two 7ft tall custom oak shelf/units for the CD's but the computer/monitor will have to go to be replaced by another laptop but that i don't care about.I too once owned approx 3,000 prog vinyl albums ( a giant feet for one type of music), i sold all to start with CD's! it'll be a long time till i buy them all back on lagit CD but at least the space will be there for them.CD'r of the vinyl are just slung in a box in the back room i don't care about those tbh..

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Techno Commander View Post
    OOh, I know that one.
    KLF - Chill Out.
    A gold star for Andy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm joe.

I'd post a picture or two of my CD 'arrangement' but I fear it'd cause the more anal amongst you to faint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Rip them to FLAC and store them away.
    I probably will, but I just love my tactile CD interaction... daft, really.
    Alex

Before I got rid of the cases (when I had probably 500 or so) I used to try different things - genre, year of release, colour of spine... Alphabetical then Chronological is the only way to go!
    Alex

I'm drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'd post a picture or two of my CD 'arrangement' but I fear it'd cause the more anal amongst you to faint.
    This could be an "interesting" exercise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast