+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caiman -> Yam AV -> Arcam 8P?

I think everyone has managed to twist my arm into selling the AV.

However I think my last blast before I do is to see if I can pluck up some cash and invest in some Tannoy 5.1's so I could have the AV powering the surround speakers for films etc and the Arcam and Caiman for the HiFi side of things going to some Floorstanders (looking at the Acoustic Energy Neo 3's as they seem very highly regarded)

I think I'm beginning a slippery slope here into HiFi and can see me spending quite a bit over the coming years.
    Did the same with my car, 17k later and its only worth £6k!!!

As they say if your going to do it, you may as well do it properly!!!

Hoping the amp should be here tomorrow
    Ross.

I'm David.

Another on bites the dust...
    It's a lot easier to buy hifi that retains it's value than it is to mod a car and add value I imagine!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

And then all this will make you want to listen to more and more new music, and before you know it, you'll get confused between your monthly Amazon account total and your monthly mortgage payment...

Good luck with the new amp!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Surprisingly the amp arrived today which was faster than expected.

Wired it all up etc and discovered that my AV amp has a Optical out.
    This has potentially given me a win win situation where by I will still be able to run my Ipod, TV, Blu-ray and games console through the AV with the optical out to the Caiman.

This is just a thought atm as this should theoretically by-pass all of the AV amps DAC's etc. leaving me with the AV as a central control unit as such to choose which AV stuff goes to the speakers, but also means that my music can go straight to the Caiman via USB so will not be affected by the AV.

Anyway back to the amp, 1st impressions...Crap.
    Very clear high's if not slightly over powering, muddy mids and very very little bass. Thought to myself what the hell am I doing wanting to get rid of the Yamaha!

Its been playing for only an 1.15hr atm and its already a totally different sound. So much more taught and controlled, Still lacking a bit of depth but according to the review below it need 24hr to warm up?! So hoping things only get better.

***Apart from being particuarly sensitive to running cold, this pair of amplifiers add depth and separation to any recording. Give them 24 hours connected to the mains with the power on and the sound sharpens beyond recognition. When cold they are mushy and bass heavy, lacking in sound staging, mid and high range. When warmed up this is lost and gives way to a mobile and attacking quality of sound, seperating instruments and reproducing subtleties. Acoustic music sounds true to life, rock vividly jumps out of the system, dance pumps superbly with control and the beauty of well recorded classical music brings a tear to the eye.)***

Only time will tell

Ps. Corrine Bailey Rae is sounding very good so far!
    Last edited by Stebbi; 22-06-2010 at 17:54. Reason: Highlighting the quote I am referring to
    Ross.

I'm Dave.

Whoa Ross
    Quote Originally Posted by Stebbi View Post
    Did the same with my car, 17k later and its only worth £6k!!!
    I don't think we're suggesting that you bankrupt yourself.
    Dave

Yep you have a point.
    But the way I look at it is most others at 20 are coming out of uni in loads of debt. I'm not so spent the money on other things I enjoy

Apart from Music this is my yellow pride and joy
    Ross.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123