+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conical cartridge needle & tracking error

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I've gone even more retro and dug out a Shure V15III with a special fitting for the Dual (the 701 was counterweight tuned for this pickup).

I'm having an M3D moment all over again...
    I was thinking of having a 'retro' session using some '70s fixed coil cartridges:

ADC 10E Mark IV,
    ADC 25 (with either a spherical or elliptical tip: it came with three stylii),
    ADC 26 (with either a spherical or elliptical tip, though it should be identical to the ADC 25),

Shure M55E (elliptical), (I no longer have any of the V15's (II Improved and III)),

and the

B&O SP6 (spherical tip) (This was the cartidge I wanted to use 40 years ago.
    Couldn't get hold of one at the time, so had to make do with a Shure M3D, pace Marco and Dave ).

This endeavour will take some 'faffing about' to set up properly, as a well as making necessary changes to the RIAA amplifier, but is something I would like to try. Will report in due course.

I believe there is a post somewhere on one of the other audio fora by a Swiss guy, who presents good theoretical reasons why a spherical tip might be better overall. There is some renewed interest in spherical tips - witness the Swiss Gyger sapphire (?!) tip.

Regards
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Sounds interesting Barry_(The new shortened Moniker version ) look forward to reading the report.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

Ah, so you have a new streamlined go-faster name, Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Sounds interesting Barry_(The new shortened Moniker version ) look forward to reading the report.
    Congratulations Alex, you are the first to have noticed! But then my new moniker is only two hours old.

Now I will have to do that comparison. It will take some time (it will probably involve the use of three different arms: the ADC25/26 have an absurdly high compliance), so don't hold your breath!

Regards

The 'new' me
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Ah, so you have a new streamlined go-faster name, Barry!
    Yes, I have always regarded by previous name as being somewhat prosaic. I was resigned to using it as my preferred choice had already been taken. A bit of 'behind the scenes' lobbying has resulted in the new user-friendly moniker; it is after all my first name and by what everybody knows me.

'Go-faster'? Not sure about that, but things could have been worse: I was thinking of "Sonic Screwdriver"!

Next step will be for me to request a change of title. I'm too unimaginative to think of anything appropriate, and am for the moment quite content with 'Senior Member'. All suggestions will however be considered.

Regards
    Barry

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    and am for the moment quite content with 'Senior Member'.
    Yes, well, my member is getting a bit senior as well ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12