+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi From Lincolnshire

I'm Garry.

Cool Hi From Lincolnshire

Hi there. My name is Garry and I live in the truly 'Flatearth' lands of Lincolnshire. I landed on the website by accident via Stan Beresford's web threads.
    My system is weird, wide and not always wonderful and includes many bits old and new from Huntingdon and Heckmondwike (as the monicker suggests). In addition to various tuners, cd players/transport/DACs (New 'stanbox' Caiman due Tuesday), LP12, and Icon Audio/Croft valve amplifiers. Speakers include EL57's, Harbeth and Mission Freedom.
    Music includes modern jazz, saxaphone, jazz piano, Prog Rock, and choral music.
    There I have confessed my sins. Will I be allowed to stay? It seems from reading some of the threads here that I am not the only one who is afflicted by this continuous search for 'the sound'.
    Well got to go, those nice men and women in the white coats have come to give me my medication and return me to my chair in front of those electrostatic speakers for another course of 'treatment'.
    May the force be with you
    Garry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Garry.

Music tastes including modern jazz, saxaphone, jazz piano? Sounds good to me - though the Prog Rock police will no doubt comment! I think you'll be allowed to stay.

I see you now use Icon Audio/Croft valve amplification. No doubt you left the Quad and Sugden gear behind long ago, despite your username. I'm still using Quad amplification (albeit modified) with my electrostatics.

Don't get too hung up about the search for 'perfect sound' - that way madness lies.

Welcome again to AoS
    Barry

I'm notAlone.

Garry, in these forums welcome you are.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Hello from another hill-less landscape, and welcome to AoS.

Enjoy yourself you will.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

Hi Garry

Welcome to AOS.

I have my origins in Louth, Lincolnshire and lived in Olton Broad and Mabelthorpe...this was a very long time ago.

You like Prog....DID I HEAR YOU SAY YOU LIKED PROG...... Then Welcome to AOS doubly so

What type of Prog do you like?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Garry.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    In answer to your query I listen to Miles, Bill Evans, Charles Lloyd and Ornette Coleman when I have my serious head on. However I'm very staid with my rock tastes DSDL. Everything from Yes, Jethro Tull, Santana, Steve Miller Band to Weather Report and the Talking Heads.
    Barry D H, I use my Quad 77/909/405/EL57's and my Suggy Class A power amp quite regularly (Like now!) My Icon LA4 and Croft Super Micro A (Recently upgraded by GC) I also use these with solid state sometimes as the valves soften the sound.
    My Antique Audio 'Waves' mono power amps are a stop gap til my Croft arrives back. I also await my new Berisford box to try and soften my Resolution/Monrio DAC.

I also look forward to hearing your views on any number of HiFi/Music issues as 'the force seems strong with you all'
    Best Wishes
    Garry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by quadsugdenman View Post
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    In answer to your query I listen to Miles, Bill Evans, Charles Lloyd and Ornette Coleman when I have my serious head on. However I'm very staid with my rock tastes DSDL. Everything from Yes, Jethro Tull, Santana, Steve Miller Band to Weather Report and the Talking Heads.
    Barry D H, I use my Quad 77/909/405/EL57's and my Suggy Class A power amp quite regularly (Like now!) My Icon LA4 and Croft Super Micro A (Recently upgraded by GC) I also use these with solid state sometimes as the valves soften the sound.
    My Antique Audio 'Waves' mono power amps are a stop gap til my Croft arrives back. I also await my new Berisford box to try and soften my Resolution/Monrio DAC.

I also look forward to hearing your views on any number of HiFi/Music issues as 'the force seems strong with you all'
    Best Wishes
    Garry
    Sounds good to me - though not what I would call 'prog' Neil

Which Sugden class A amp do you use Garry? I used to run a C51/A51 combination with the Quad 57s, now it's a (modified) Quad 44/405.

Welcome again to AoS

Regards
    Barry

I'm Garry.

Hi Barry,

I have a C51 and 2 x P51's (A/B) but the 57's variable loading kept blowing the fuses in the P51, so I used a s/h Bijou power amp (curently out on loan with a view to sell) with the 57's . The C51 is used very rarely these days as it is not the best for clarity, but the P51's are nice soft sounding old things. Still also have my R21 tuner somewhere which is so good on Radio 3 and spoken voice when fed a decent signal.
    Still use the modified 405 as a standby as it is still a good performer, also had a 44 pre but cos of the 'Dintastic' inputs sold it, however it was very flexible and sounded good after servicing by Quad. The 77/909 is very different sounding, but more user friendly via the Quadlink. The 57's are off line in-store at the moment as I have not long moved house and the 'Feuhrer' is not keen because they take up so much space!!!
    Regards
    Garry

+ Reply to Thread