+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £300 to improve my system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Phil.

Default £300 to improve my system

Hi all,

I have approx £300 available to improve my current set up...

- Thorens TD160 , all stock with the exception of a hardwood plinth, thicker MDF baseboard and replacement RCA cables
    - Nagaoka Stilton MP11 boron cartridge
    - Rega Brio R
    - Rega RS1 speakers
    - Audiolab Q DAC (sources for this are laptop and chromecast audio)

My first thoughts were either a new arm for the turntable, a new cart, new speakers or a record cleaning machine to improve upon the spin clean i currently use.

For the speakers i need standmounts that can be used close to a rear wall.

All suggestions and recommendations welcome!

Phil

I'm Neil.

Sure, replace your Rega RS1s with a pair of Epos ES14.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm tony.

Airlink BMU.....It will give everything a lift.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Airlink BMU.....It will give everything a lift.
    ...maybe, maybe not.

I used one for years, a 2.5kVA one, but now I don't use any filtering, regen or balanced mains, just a big Olson mains block.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

I don't think you can really improve on that system with only £300.

Although a proper record cleaning machine is a good idea, better than a spin-clean and a lot less mither
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't think you can really improve on that system with only £300.

Although a proper record cleaning machine is a good idea, better than a spin-clean and a lot less mither
    I guess I could sell the component being replaced to boost the budget somewhat. What do you think would be required to improve on it?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    I guess I could sell the component being replaced to boost the budget somewhat. What do you think would be required to improve on it?
    Speakers. Nowt wrong with the Regas you have and I quite like them but anything can be improved and improving the speakers will make the most difference. Not sure what you would need to spend but if you are happy to buy second hand and have room for something larger then there are bargains out there for not much more than your budget.

Small speakers tend to hold their value more than big ones, in the UK at least.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andy.

I would trade in or sell the TD160 and buy a better deck and arm with the proceeds plus your £300. Something like a Rock, Xerxes, pink, Alphason sonata, even a Mantra paired with a Rega RB250/300 will be a good step up.

I'm Phil.

The Thorens is actually the one thing i dont want to part with as it has sentimental value. I am happy to improve or upgrade it but will definitley be holding on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I would trade in or sell the TD160 and buy a better deck and arm with the proceeds plus your £300. Something like a Rock, Xerxes, pink, Alphason sonata, even a Mantra paired with a Rega RB250/300 will be a good step up.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    The Thorens is actually the one thing i dont want to part with as it has sentimental value. I am happy to improve or upgrade it but will definitley be holding on to it.
    You could buy my little used M-Dac and sell the Q-Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast